HAL-Disappointment

wheelchair cruiser

You know, I wrote a thoughtful response to this and got the damn WSOD. I’m sooo tired of it!

Your perspective is important, and I wondered why you approached this thread with such investment. But a lot of it doesn’t have to do with the OP’s physical challenges, but rather her perception of how she was treated, and the separate questions about what has happened with the ADA requirements since the supreme court case. Your responses have a tone of anger to them that IMO are not appropriate to this thread.

I apologize for calling you haughty. I understand your point of reference.

The OP may well have applied inappropriately for a ship position –while on the ship- and mistook the response as inconsiderate. It happens.

In summary: Employment at a cruise line, whether on a ship or shoreside, is not handled on a ship, it’s handled either through the home office or through various staffing agencies worldwide. ADA regulations do not at this time apply to foreign-flagged vessels, but in July, 2005, the Supreme Court issued an order that as much as they are able, within international maritime laws and SOLAS protocols, they MUST comply. The recent DOT filing addresses issues of discrimination, not access.

And I’m going to add one more: Bad publicity won’t make a whit of difference; one case made it to the Supreme Court and although it wasn’t HAL involved, HAL would be no different. Look at the pricing fiasco. There was an easy, easy, easy fix to that, and the line preferred horrible national publicity to what most agree would have been to do the right thing in the first place.

Jana

Now serving....BITTER, PARTY OF ONE!....

I'm sorry, you may truly be a nice person, but to ask an entire board to "solve" your problems when you don't have the decency to even tell us what that problem is just RUDE. I have MANY friends in wheelchairs and they don't ask for sympathy JUST for being in them which is what it appears you seem to be doing. If this is NOT the case then I, as have several other posters before me, ask you to please DETAIL your complaints. If you can't tell us what these are then I suggest you stop posting until you can. Being single and in a chair is NOT a problem....not loving yourself or allowing others to IS!!

SakeDad, I did explain my problem to the board. I am not looking for sympathy from anyone!!!!!hammybee, I understand your point but it is your daughter not you who has the special needs.This was not a spur of the moment idea. Why should I not even be considered for the position just because I get around differently? Is it because it's the law? That is discrimination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheelchair cruiser. If you really want to work on a HAl ship, why not apply to the main office and let the chips fall where they may. It doesn't serve a constructive purpose to complain about one employee or to keep posting about it here. The people on this board really can't get you the job. We can only encourrage you to find out what HAL's real position on this is. Just go ahead and take some positive action to try to get what you want. Good luck!

Wheelchair cruiser,

First, I would not be put off by one rude person in HAL's front office. Perhaps that person was embarrassed or didn't know how to deal with you, and covered this by laughing. Maybe it was a nervous reaction.

Second, you cannot reasonably expect the CD to know if a port is accessible.

What are you asking about: transportation? stores? restaurants? facilities?

are there curb cuts in the sidewalks? ramps? accessible restrooms?

Generally a CD is not going to have an answer to such a broad question.

And it's been my experience that people who do not have accessibility issues aren't always aware of barriers to accessibility.

A CD, for instance, will tell you that a certain tourist site is accessible. You get there -- and there's a step. Doesn't matter if it's one step or 20 to some people -- a step can be a barrier to a person in a wheelchair.

A person who does not have to deal with accessibility issues doesn't always understand the *real* meaning of accessible.

An older hefty man in a wheel chair and his older smaller female companion came along on our Mayan ruin Carnival excursion on Belize last month. The brochure said the site was NOT wheelchair accessible. They tried to negotiate the 'large rock' paths. The woman was pretty much helpless. Another older male pax (stranger) tried to literally drag the wheelchair along as the wheels would not turn. I would not let my DH help as he is older with a heart condition but we felt awkward for 'not helping'. Not sure what else happened as we moved on along on our tour but I later saw the woman at the sites alone then walking back. He must have stayed by the buses. Point is, it was awkward for fellow pax. What if the stranger helper got hurt trying to move the WC? Our tour could have been sabotaged for no good reason. People need to use their head.

i too have a college degree. and i love what i do. do i want to work as hard as those folks on the ships? even though my occupation is strenuous, the answer would still be "no". i will try to keep you statement "if you love what you do it is glamorous" in mind when i am up to my elbows in.....lol. this was a long thread to get to the bottom of the problem. apply through the appropriate places and not on board. that would be my advice. again, good luck.

Archived