LAX to Cruise terminal

grandgeezer

I am looking into taking a Princess cruise that leaves from L.A. What's the best way to get from the airport to the ship and back to the airport after the cruise? Any help on costs and time needed would be greatly appreciated. Cruiseline transfers are usually expensive and not very time efficient.

There are many car services that you can check out via the Internet and then ask about on the West Coast destinations boards. We used coolrides.com for our last cruise to take us via towncar from Northridge to San Pedro, about a 50 mile trip, as we knew we wouldn't be able to stuff 15-days worth of luggage in our sedan's trunk. When we returned to the port, disembarkation took forever. I called the company about 10:00 to say we were still on the ship, and they said "no worries," just call back when we were off the ship and over at the shuttle pickup. We had our own private pickup.

You can book a transfer from LAX to the port directly with Princess. It is $50 pp roundtrip. If you do the transfer with Princess, then you don't have to handle your luggage at the port. After you put it on the shuttle bus, then you don't see it again until you get to the room.

We did the Diamond in January and took a taxi from LAX to the San Pedro terminal. Not a fixed amount, the taxi meter ticked and ticked until we reached the San Pedro terminal. The total was $54 plus tip.

Because of the uncertainty with the taxi fare, we chose Super Shuttle for the return, it was $17 per person. Prime Time is another shuttle company.

The only reason the taxi was worthwhile is because there were 4 of us splitting the fare. On the return, it was only two of us so the shuttle was cheapest at the time.

We did the Diamond in January and took a taxi from LAX to the San Pedro terminal. Not a fixed amount, the taxi meter ticked and ticked until we reached the San Pedro terminal. The total was $54 plus tip.

Because of the uncertainty with the taxi fare, we chose Super Shuttle for the return, it was $17 per person. Prime Time is another shuttle company.

The only reason the taxi was worthwhile is because there were 4 of us splitting the fare. On the return, it was only two of us so the shuttle was cheapest at the time.

The flat rate is posted on a board near the cab stand both at LAX and at the pier. The meter always rolls but it is still a flat rate.

I think they took you for a ride?? :rolleyes:

The flat rate is posted on a board near the cab stand both at LAX and at the pier. The meter always rolls but it is still a flat rate.

I think they took you for a ride?? :rolleyes:

Interesting...Ive never seen an active meter when using flat rate taxi service...most recently in Miami. I felt bad for the driver because we got stuck in a huge traffic jam just few blocks from the port.

We verified thru the respective websites ahead of time that no flat fare was offered from LAX to the pier. And, there is a $2.50 surcharge for trips originating at LAX.

Having had flat rate pricing from Miami to the port in December, we had hoped for the same in Los Angeles so just to be sure I didnt miss something, when arriving LAX I verified thru signage as well as verbally that the fare was not a flat rate. In fact, the signage at the port indicates, "estimated fares to..." and lists all the area airports. ("estimated" being the key word)

Being frequent travellers, we have learned to always confirm rate details prior to hiring a taxi.

I guess given the difference in experiences here, the best recommendation is "caveat emptor", buyer beware. Verify the details (flat rate -or- metered rate) prior to hiring the taxi. Either way, its going to be at least $40 by taxi or $17 each by shared ride shuttle.

Interesting...Ive never seen an active meter when using flat rate taxi service...most recently in Miami. I felt bad for the driver because we got stuck in a huge traffic jam just few blocks from the port.

We verified thru the respective websites ahead of time that no flat fare was offered from LAX to the pier. And, there is a $2.50 surcharge for trips originating at LAX.

Having had flat rate pricing from Miami to the port in December, we had hoped for the same in Los Angeles so just to be sure I didnt miss something, when arriving LAX I verified thru signage as well as verbally that the fare was not a flat rate. In fact, the signage at the port indicates, "estimated fares to..." and lists all the area airports. ("estimated" being the key word)

Being frequent travellers, we have learned to always confirm rate details prior to hiring a taxi.

I guess given the difference in experiences here, the best recommendation is "caveat emptor", buyer beware. Verify the details (flat rate -or- metered rate) prior to hiring the taxi. Either way, its going to be at least $40 by taxi or $17 each by shared ride shuttle.

I know it sounds strange but we have made the trip about 15 times either way and the meter always ran but the rate was a flat charge. :)

Colo - you must have some great luck - because as a 12 year resident of Los Angeles and four times a month business traveler, the only flat rate from LAX ever offered was to downtown - and that was a huge hassle to get passed because the taxi drivers got so upset about it - because of the problems with LA traffic. I am stunned that they would allow it to San Pedro because the 405 is the absolute worst for traffic....

If you get it - good for you - although a taxi driving the same distance north (18 miles) would be about $29 metered with no traffic, and usually came in at about $35...so it's not like $45 is a bargain to go 18 miles south. The shuttles have their drawbacks. The Princess transfer can often mean you are waiting on a bus while other flights arrive. If you are going to spend $50 with Princess - spring for the taxi. You get personal service on your schedule, right to the port.

We just booked Zippy's Shuttle. $55 one way for 4. Return trip to airport there will be 8 of us and the price is $70. It figures out to be $22.50 per person for round trip.

Do you have contact info for Zippy's? Also, we will arrive the day before - will they pick up at the hotel?

thanks

There is a great package through CruiseLA.com with the Crowne Plaza LA Harbor Hotel in San Pedro. 310-519-8200

You get a deluxe room for 1 night, a bottle of California Wine, buffet breakfast, ROUNDTRIP airport transfers to/from LAX only, ROUNDTRIP Cruise port transfers. All of this for only $219 plus tax. It is called the Fly and Sail package. I actually called about putting 5 in a room and they said it could be done for a $15 rollaway bed fee.

They also have a Park and Sail package for $169 plus tax if you just want to spend the night there and then park there and use the cruise port transfers.

Have a great time!!!

Archived