Aft Rooms

RCLFan

Here's a link to many aft photos of Voyager-class ships (they are all the same). Keep in mind that 7390 and 7690 are identical but mirror image of each other. 6388 and 6688 are also identical but mirror image of each other. There are several pages of photos. Check them all out. You will see that there is in fact an obstacle to deal with with the cabins you are considering. Many people love them inspite of the obstacle though. If you do not think you can handle the view as it is you may want to look for an aft cabin higher up. Deck 10 has little to no obstruction. The corner cabins have little to no obstruction (except for deck 6 corner and somewhat deck 7 corner, but deck 7 corner/aft has the largest balcony on the ship)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi

Oh, I forgot to answer the elevator question...NO! It is not located nearby at all! It is quite a long walk. There are no aft elevators or stairs on Voyager-class ships. You have to walk almost to mid-ship. But, we really enjoy the walk ourselves! It helps combat the extra calories we consume during the week! My favorite cabin so far on any ship is deck 10 aft/corner on Voyager-class and Freedom-class ships!

• 2 weeks later...

Bonnie--

I've been searching for something you posted regarding aft cabins. My agent thought she grabbed 1688 but when she checked it was 1692 on AOS. She's waitlisted me for 1688. Which do you prefer? It will be a quad--me, husband and 2 daughters. I've never stayed aft--sailed 9 times once inside (never again--last minute Alaska booking) and always balcony--we were lucky enough to upgrade at the pier once for a JS and once for a Grand! Thanks for your time--I have a headache from searching and reading!

Bonnie--

I've been searching for something you posted regarding aft cabins. My agent thought she grabbed 1688 but when she checked it was 1692 on AOS. She's waitlisted me for 1688. Which do you prefer? It will be a quad--me, husband and 2 daughters. I've never stayed aft--sailed 9 times once inside (never again--last minute Alaska booking) and always balcony--we were lucky enough to upgrade at the pier once for a JS and once for a Grand! Thanks for your time--I have a headache from searching and reading!

1688 would be my first pick, but if it doesn't open up I would not be the least bit disappointed with 1692. 1688's cabin feels much roomier because it is wider which will be nice with 4 passengers, but overall square footage is probably about the same (1692's cabin is longer but more narrow). Both balconies are good. 1692's balcony is very large but a tad smaller than 1690 or 1688. So, as I said, 1688 is numero uno for me, but any deck 10 aft cabin is top-notch! :D

Bonnie,

By any chance to you have pictures of aft cabins on a Radiance class ships?

Thank you

Laura

Nope, sorry I do not have any photos accumulated of Radiance-class aft balconies. They don't have any issues like the Voyager-class ships (no huge metal structure at the back of the ship) so pretty much any aft cabin on a Radiance-class ship is going to be nice. If you go to Webshots and do a search for "Radiance aft" "Brilliance aft" Serenade aft" etc... you will see lots of photos of aft balconies! They are all good choices!

By any chance to you have pictures of aft cabins on a Radiance class ships?

Here ya go! The pictures of Radiance and Serenade include shots of 1100 and 1602, JSs. The shots of Brilliance include 1600, a GS. The Radiance & Diamond album has shots of Radiance passing us in the LA channel, and there are some shots of the starboard side stern of the ship.

http://community.webshots.com/user/critterchick1953

Hi Bonnie - thanks to your great aft pictures, we booked room 1688 for our cruise out of New Jersey next January. But since it will be winter time, and other cruisers have said the seas can be rough leave from N.J. do you think we will feel much more motion? We don't want to get seasick on only our 2nd cruise?

:)

Hi Bonnie - thanks to your great aft pictures, we booked room 1688 for our cruise out of New Jersey next January. But since it will be winter time, and other cruisers have said the seas can be rough leave from N.J. do you think we will feel much more motion? We don't want to get seasick on only our 2nd cruise?

:)

I've never had any problem in 1688 with motion. The only place I ever notice the motion is in the large theater in the front, bottom decks of the ship. If the seas are rough, motion will be noticed everywhere though. I have sometimes noticed a vibration in the lower decks in the aft (dining room decks) but never in my cabin. You will be fine!

Bonnie:

Many thanks for the pics and your opinions on aft cabins. We're in 1688 on AOS Nov 18. Based on pics alone, I might have switched, but your preference for the corner has us convinced. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help everyone out.

Bonnie:

Many thanks for the pics and your opinions on aft cabins. We're in 1688 on AOS Nov 18. Based on pics alone, I might have switched, but your preference for the corner has us convinced. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help everyone out.

I feel that 1688/1388 are the best overall choice of the D1 aft cabins on Voyager-class ships. They have by far the most comfortable and spacious-feeling cabin and a very large balcony with both sun and shade, but with an odd shape and a structural pole on the balcony that must be traversed to move from side to side...but we've never had a problem with this pole and it didn't deter from our positive experience in the least. 1690/1390 have a nicer balcony (no obstructions and one big, huge, square) but the cabin, while probably about the same square footage as 1688/1388, is longer but narrower and just feels tighter to me. I have been in both so this is from my own personal experience. 1692/1392 have an identical cabin to 1690/1390 but their balcony, while still huge, is somewhat smaller than it's neighboring balconies. So, all-in-all I still feel that 1688/1388 is the best choice! I hope you enjoy it too!

Hi Bonnie! We are booked in 9692 on the Explorer next April. How is this cabin/balcony or should we be looking for another? We were in an aft balcony on the Jewel and loved it. After reading about obstructions I am afraid that we will be disappointed in a Voyager Class aft.....

HI BONNIE voyager

I hope you can help.

This is our first cruise and we are booked on the Explorer from Bayone on 11th November originally booked in cbin 8228

However reading these boards I saw that 7690 was available and e-mailed RCI asking if this was available and how much extra would it cost to swap.

I have now checked our reservation and found that RCI have in fact moved us to 7690 at an extra charge of $600!!!!!and have never confirmed this!

Has anyone else experienced his?

I know 7690 is much better than 8228 but is it worth an extra $600?

The only thing I am nervous about now is that RCI have let someone else have 8228 and we could be stuck in an inside cabin or a balcony we don't really want.

Any advice from anyone would be most appreciated!!!!

Hi Bonnie! We are booked in 9692 on the Explorer next April. How is this cabin/balcony or should we be looking for another? We were in an aft balcony on the Jewel and loved it. After reading about obstructions I am afraid that we will be disappointed in a Voyager Class aft.....

There is nothing to worry about! Yes, Voyager-class aft balconies are not quite as "primo" as Radiance-class aft balconies but there is nothing disappointing about them if you are aware of the design of the back of Voyager-class ships prior to arriving. Yes, it could be disappointing if you had no idea about the superstructure and then walked out on your balcony for the first time and saw it. Have you seen my photo gallery? If not, take a look...http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi?start=72 There are quite a few pages to look at. Keep in mind that 9392 is identical but mirror image of your cabin (9692) so check out those photos too! Many people say 9692 or 9392 is their favorite category E cabin! The corner afts on decks 7, 8, and 9 are all very popular category E's as well. If you were to upgrade to a category D my favorite choices are 1688/1388 and/or 1690/1390.

HI BONNIE voyager

I hope you can help.

This is our first cruise and we are booked on the Explorer from Bayone on 11th November originally booked in cbin 8228

However reading these boards I saw that 7690 was available and e-mailed RCI asking if this was available and how much extra would it cost to swap.

I have now checked our reservation and found that RCI have in fact moved us to 7690 at an extra charge of $600!!!!!and have never confirmed this!

Has anyone else experienced his?

I know 7690 is much better than 8228 but is it worth an extra $600?

The only thing I am nervous about now is that RCI have let someone else have 8228 and we could be stuck in an inside cabin or a balcony we don't really want.

Any advice from anyone would be most appreciated!!!!

There is something very fishy here! You were downgraded from a category D2 (cabin 8228 at 188 square feet) to a Category E1 (cabin 7690 at 173 square feet) and they CHARGED you extra money? They should be refunding you money! Sounds like the prices have gone up a lot since you originally booked your Category D2 cabin! That would be the only explanation for your new smaller cabin to cost more than your original one. And are you saying they did this without your approval? If so, you need to talk to someone at RCCL. Yes, they can and do sometimes move people without their approval but NOT to a lower category and not for a higher price! Unless you inadvertantly did ask them to make this move for you, I would think they can't charge you that extra $600. Either ask them to put you back in a Category D2 if that's what you want or fight them to give you 7690 for no extra money! Make sure you have a deck plan in front of you when you are talking to them so if they move you to another cabin you can confirm exactly where it is and what category it is prior to agreeing to the move! Good luck! Let us know what you end up with! By the way, 7690 is an okay aft cabin but definitely NOT worth an extra $600 in my opinion! But if you can get it for no extra charge that's different.

Just spoken to RCI in USA and our original cabin is still available so they have made a new reservation to hold it until I can speak to RCI in UK and have it sapped back!!!

Many thanks for your help

There is nothing to worry about! Yes, Voyager-class aft balconies are not quite as "primo" as Radiance-class aft balconies but there is nothing disappointing about them if you are aware of the design of the back of Voyager-class ships prior to arriving. Yes, it could be disappointing if you had no idea about the superstructure and then walked out on your balcony for the first time and saw it. Have you seen my photo gallery? If not, take a look...http://travel.webshots.com/album/48328219CtbGLi?start=72 There are quite a few pages to look at. Keep in mind that 9392 is identical but mirror image of your cabin (9692) so check out those photos too! Many people say 9692 or 9392 is their favorite category E cabin! The corner afts on decks 7, 8, and 9 are all very popular category E's as well. If you were to upgrade to a category D my favorite choices are 1688/1388 and/or 1690/1390.

Thanks, Bonnie! I was booked in the corner aft, but had it changed after seeing your pictures as I really did not like the single door. It looked like it was only half glass and I love the wide open look of the sliding glass doors when I wake up. I thought it would feel clausterphobic!

Maybe we will upgrade to a corner aft on Deck 10, if available. Otherwise, I think I will be happy with what we have. I saw your pictures and it looks nice, but couldn't tell for sure.

Thanks, Bonnie! I was booked in the corner aft, but had it changed after seeing your pictures as I really did not like the single door. It looked like it was only half glass and I love the wide open look of the sliding glass doors when I wake up. I thought it would feel clausterphobic!

Maybe we will upgrade to a corner aft on Deck 10, if available. Otherwise, I think I will be happy with what we have. I saw your pictures and it looks nice, but couldn't tell for sure.

Yes, the corner aft cabins on deck 9 do have the single door, but they also have a HUGE recessed porthole window in the cabin that gives lots of sunlight and is a fun place to sit and relax. Deck 8 aft corner cabins just have the single door so they are a bit darker than most cabins. You will love your cabin (9692) There are really no negatives with 9692/9392...only positives! Your balcony is larger than the corner aft balconies on decks 8 and 9! The only thing I don't like about them is they are all category E's and I like a larger cabin myself. But I would book an aft E in a heartbeat if I couldn't get my favorite D cabins.

Bonnie Voyager

Do you think RCI will honour my price for my D2 original cabin as it is their mistake as I have just checked and the price has really shot up.

How aminable are RCI or am I going to have to fight them?:confused:

Bonnie Voyager

Do you think RCI will honour my price for my D2 original cabin as it is their mistake as I have just checked and the price has really shot up.

How aminable are RCI or am I going to have to fight them?:confused:

It all depends on who answers the phone. If you don't like the answer you get, politely say goodbye and call again. You will get a completely different representative and they will give you a completely different answer. Don't stop till you get the answer you want! :D

Thanks Bonnie Voyager, only another 12 hours to go and I'll be on the 'phone!!!!!

We were so looking forward to our cruise and now just want to get this mess sorted out.

I was surprised to read that is you mistakenly click on a cabin number it can alter your booking? I would have thought that there would be some sort of message come up to warn people or as a new cruiser am I being naive?

Anyway thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on.

Bonnie, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the aft cabins. Hoping you may be able to help us with a couple of things we are curious about. Do the aft cabins on deck 7 have the porthole window? And since we are some of the people that need to sleep with a fan on, do you get ocean noise by leaving the balcony door open (just a little!)?

Thanks!

Archived