Do you rent a cabana when you visit HMC ???

Ziggy7

Do you rent a cabana when you visit HMC ??? If so which one do you or did you rent?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rent a cabana when you visit HMC ??? If so which one do you or did you rent?

• Tan
    • Blue
    • Turquoise
    • Orange
    • Light Blue
    • Purple
    • Pink
    • Green
    • Yellow
    • Don’t rent them

We chose NOT to rent a Cabana. It was hot the day we were there, but between the clamshells we rented and the beach we hardly noticed. If you're going to stay in an A/C room and have food delivered, stay onboard and save the $.

We have only been to HMC once and did not rent a Cabana or Clam Shell. We will be there again next March and thought it would be fun to do so and thought if on the Roll Call board there were others from CC that were going they might want to share one with us. But so far no one else as has replied on the Roll Call Board:(

If we weren't going with friends and sharing the cost of the cabana, I wouldn't dream of doing it. But 1/2 being about $110 it's not so bad considering it gives you the entire day out on a beautiful beach not having to worry about getting too much sun.

Bubba, it's not exactly an air conditioned "room". It's open in the front and you sit out on your little deck. The a/c is just nice if you want to cool off for a minute.

My feeling is it's a heck of a lot cheaper than most of the tours which often turn out to be a huge disappointment. Don't even get me started on the descriptions of tours versus the reality:eek: .

P.S. Orcrone, are you trying to fire my ire with the cell phone thing;) ? Very funny:D

... it's not exactly an air conditioned "room". It's open in the front and you sit out on your little deck.

Last time we were in HMC we didn't even get off the ship. Our cabin was nicely air conditioned, our verandah had a lovely view - and there were very few people around the pool! The food was better on-board, also :rolleyes:

I'm not a good one to fill this in because it's the first time we've done it and had to wing it!!! But I love polls so I filled it in. :D

Wish I knew how to do a poll, I would have set one up for this cellphone thing.

I did take the poll just forgot to write a message lol This was my first try at the poll thingy, actually it wasnt real hard, try it out ! You can do it!!!!

We rented the turquoise cabana because we are spending our special day there, we are also renewing our vows on the beach there on Aug 13th, so we decided not to do excursions and spend the money on a cabana, although we will prolly be in the water most of the time, we plan on inviting a couple from cc'ers to join us as our treat if they want to join us for the day, so far there are 9 cc'er

families and couples on our Zuiderdam Aug 7 western caribbean cruise. I hope we meet them all!

Dave-

It's definately different strokes for different folks.....

There is nothing better for me personally to get to walk barefoot on that wonderfully sily white sand as far around the Cay as I choose with many stops for a dip in between. That beach is one thing you will never find "on the ship". :eek:

It's so lovely we all get to do our vacations "our way"!!:cool:

There is nothing better for me personally to get to walk barefoot on that wonderfully sily white sand as far around the Cay as I choose... It's so lovely we all get to do our vacations "our way"!!:cool:
That's what makes the world go 'round! Well, my wife might think differently ;)

But, then, I'm even contemplating not leaving the ship when we do the Mexican riviera next January....

I would not pay this new, increased price to rent a Cabana. We did enjoy using one in the past and thought it a terrific way to spend a day at the beach. I think the price is now too high for what it is, though.

I would not pay this new, increased price to rent a Cabana. We did enjoy using one in the past and thought it a terrific way to spend a day at the beach. I think the price is now too high for what it is, though.
Unfortunately they'll keep raising the price until they can no longer rent them all.

Next move will be to have different prices based on the size and number of ships visiting. The greater the demand, the higher the price.

They don't seem to have any problem filling them all. Seems there are always fully rented.

Don't most business raise prices as high as "the market will bear"? I don't blame them for trying to get as high a price as possible. Why shouldn't they?

It is such an "optional" thing that no one on the ship needs to pay for them if they do not wish. The day at HMC is glorious IMO with or without a Cabana. So long as there are people willing to pay to rent them, I see nothing wrong with them charging as much as they can.

I would not normally rent a Cabana but this is my Tenth Anniversary and I ordered the Turqoise Cabana as a surprise for my Wife. The only thing that worries me is how I am going to get her on the first tender without giving away the surprise???? Anticipating the extreme heat of August (without Hurricanes!!!!).

S7S - From my words I can see how you may have thought I was flaming HAL. Not the case. Just an observation about business practices in general.

IMO, charging different amounts based on demand is not much different than different prices for the same cabin during different weeks. I don't like it because it's priced higher than I'm willing to pay, but I never said they shouldn't do it.

If I had a family and had a solid day to use it, I might rent a cabana. But ... the prices I've seen quoted here do seem very high, so it would take a full day at HMC and more than just to guys to justify it.

Normally, at HMC I go ashore with my camera, wearing a swimsuit, t-shirt, and sandals. I grab a beach chair, take some photos, and then go wading in the water. I'm not a "beach bum" type of guy. But I enjoy taking a quick dip in the water, and the feel of the sand under my feet. It's a lovely beach, and enjoyable. After doing that for an hour, or so, and after shooting a bunch of photos, I generally head up to the pavilion and grab a hot dog or a burger (or both) before heading back to the pier for a fun ride back to the ship. In short, I don't spend very long on shore.

HMC is lovely. It's one of my favorite stops in the caribbean because it's not rushed, it's HAL-only, and I enjoy tender rides! :) I wish more of the cruises I take would BEGIN with HMC instead of ending with it ... I'd feel more relaxed and perhaps more willing to take my time there. As it is, I feel anxious about wanting to get back to the ship and get my stuff packed because, usually, it's my last night aboard. :( Truly, among my least-favorite nights aboard.

I wish more of the cruises I take would BEGIN with HMC instead of ending with it ... I'd feel more relaxed and perhaps more willing to take my time there. As it is, I feel anxious about wanting to get back to the ship and get my stuff packed because, usually, it's my last night aboard. :( Truly, among my least-favorite nights aboard.
That's an interesting perspective. On my two upcoming cruises HMC is the first stop, and I'm wishing it were the other way around. I'd prefer to have the activity stops first and save the last day as my relaxing at the beach day.

That's an interesting perspective. On my two upcoming cruises HMC is the first stop, and I'm wishing it were the other way around. I'd prefer to have the activity stops first and save the last day as my relaxing at the beach day.

I've been to HMC 5 times. Each time it's been the last stop on the cruise. My next time there will, again, will be at the end of a very long cruise. At the end of 7 or 10 days I'm, frankly, really not quite ready to get off the ship. Hence, it being the last day is kinda sad. The felling is, in other words, melancholy. Perhaps, after 21 days, I'll be ready to go home and will view arrival at HMC in a more happy light and NOT in the negative shadow of "the last day aboard."

:) Not at all, Orcrone. I regret my tone seems a bit harsh as I reread what I posted. Apologies.

S7S - From my words I can see how you may have thought I was flaming HAL. Not the case. Just an observation about business practices in general.

IMO, charging different amounts based on demand is not much different than different prices for the same cabin during different weeks. I don't like it because it's priced higher than I'm willing to pay, but I never said they shouldn't do it.

I agree that it is about the same as when the same cabin, on the same ship, on the same itinerary, one week apart sells for sometimes consirably different prices ........simple "supply and demand" as well.

Archived