Private Tour in Ushaia ? Anyone know about the beavers

annski

We will only have 6 hours in Ushaia before embarking, so think that a private tour perhaps Terra del Fuego/ train ?/ may be the best choice. However in my searching I came across details of a half day spent seeing beavers and their dams near to Ushaia however it was part of a 4/5 day tour. I have yet to find anything else? that refers to the beavers. Has anyone used private tour/driver from their and any recommendations would be great. Thanks ann

The only mention I heard of beavers while we were in Ushuaia was during our brief tour in Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego. Our bus stopped on the road above a lake and our guide explained about the beavers and the dams briefly.

My personal opinion: If you only have 6 hours, I'm not sure I would venture into Tierra del Fuego. Our 1/2-day tour was disappointing in that we did not have nearly enough time to see much of anything. We did do a couple of walks that took us to overlooks to see the bays, but with the time constraints there wasn't time to really stop and enjoy what we were seeing. It will take you at least 30 minutes each way just to get to and from downtown to the Park entrance (not all roads are paved), further reducing your available time in the park.

There are a couple of museums in town that are interesting as well as 3-hour Ushuaia Bay cruises that take you to see Sea Lions and Shags (cormorants) and the lighthouse that is a symbol of Ushuaia. We did this one afternoon (selected the Barracuda over the big catamarans and small sailboats; Spanish only narration) and had a terrific time. Of course, we were lucky in that the snow/rain from the previous day had given way to beautiful blue skies and warm temperatures.

Anyway, just my two cents. Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your time in Ushuaia.

We will only have 6 hours in Ushaia before embarking, so think that a private tour perhaps Terra del Fuego/ train ?/ may be the best choice. Thanks ann

I would take one of the Beagle channel catamaran trours! Look at my You Tube videos.

The beavers are active during the night, so you will see beaver dams in the park but no beavers roaming around.

We were in Ushuaia on a Sunday, and the city was really quiet - most stores were closed. We did the Catamaran tour in the early morning (7:30 - 9:30) then we went to the Tierra del Fuego National Park (11:30 - 15:30). We were pretty happy with both tours.

MC

Can anyone give me a web site or who to ctc regarding the catamaran tours. We will only be in Ushuiua for half a day, in the morning, and I am hoping I can find an independent tour and not have to go with the ship tour.

Thx in advance, Millie

Archived