HAL newbie with a couple of questions..

oceanal

Hi all,

We will be cruising on Zuiderdam in just a few weeks and I just have a couple of questions for you HAL experts. What is the experience like out by the pool? On RCCL they have a Carribean style band that I am not in love with that plays for a few hours during the day. What can I expect? Do they play any wacky pool games or is that an RCCL thing? How about waiters with drinks of the day? I would imagine they circulate frequently? Are there any problems getting a chair later in the day?

Thanks again..

Alyson:D

No wacky pool games that I saw. They did have a drink of the day (three, I beleive), but we didn't try any of them. We had no problems getting drinks from the pool area or the bars. There were bands, but I don't recall any being at the pool area. There was a band (we loved the music) at the sailaway party-near the aft bar. We also saw plenty of chairs everywhere.

Everyone was civilized and nice. No pushing ... or shoving. No whacky games. It was a very nice experience for us. We'd probably never sail anything but HAL in the future.

We're not ship's pool people because we have a nice private pool in our backyard, but from what I've noticed while passing by: no pool games, sometimes a loud band at Noon (the style of which will vary depending on where you are) and there are usually a few open lounge chairs near the pool - although maybe not in your preference of sun or shade. You'll have no problem flagging down a waiter for drinks!

I remember a band playing for a short period by the pool with the retractable roof......typical cruise caribbean tunes (as our sailing was in the Caribbean).....also a taco bar in the pool area as well as the pizza pickup window.....never a problem getting drinks there was a bar near the pool and servers roaming about.......

Hi all,

We will be cruising on Zuiderdam in just a few weeks and I just have a couple of questions for you HAL experts. What is the experience like out by the pool? On RCCL they have a Carribean style band that I am not in love with that plays for a few hours during the day. What can I expect? Do they play any wacky pool games or is that an RCCL thing? How about waiters with drinks of the day? I would imagine they circulate frequently? Are there any problems getting a chair later in the day?

Thanks again..

Music played at pools, but it isn't overbearing. Nice atmosphere for sail-away. during the sail-away, they have special drinks in nice commemorative glasses that you may keep. Plenty of lounge chairs to go around...have never had difficulty finding a good location. Have seen some "games" during a few sail-aways...but that was about it. You will find the service top-notch everywhere. (Trust me, I've never had difficulty obtaining a drink!). We especially enjoy a pre-dinner drink in the piano lounge. Great atmosphere and we've met the nicest folks who have offered to share a table/seating area with us.

See you on April 7th!

Cass

The band that I recall played at the Lido midship pool and no band was at the Aft outdoor pool. There was a pool game at the Aft pool that lasted 30 minutes tops and one at the Midships pool that lasted a bit longer. The drinks are everywhere and you won't have a problem obtaining one.

Lounge chairs at the Midships pool can be hard to come by after SomePeople show up at daybreak and place their towel on the thing. Aft is never really a problem. More kids at Midships and fewer at Aft pool.

Have Fun!!

The pool is usualy located at the back of the ship and is not sheltered the same way as on other cruise ships. It was fine when the ship was docked but once you start sailing you are subject to the weather. As a result you could always find a chair.

No pool games on our cruise, no bands. They did play "taped" music on occasion.

The waiters were present but not pushy.

The deck chairs did not lie flat which was slighlty annoying.

Griwalds

The pool is usualy located at the back of the ship and is not sheltered the same way as on other cruise ships. It was fine when the ship was docked but once you start sailing you are subject to the weather. As a result you could always find a chair.

No pool games on our cruise, no bands. They did play "taped" music on occasion.

The waiters were present but not pushy.

The deck chairs did not lie flat which was slighlty annoying.

Griwalds

The pool is usualy located at the back of the ship and is not sheltered the same way as on other cruise ships. It was fine when the ship was docked but once you start sailing you are subject to the weather.

But the main, large pool is forward and covered in bad weather. (Except on the Prinsendam.)

Usually there is a band that plays during the luch hour at the Lido pool. There will also be a bank playing during most sail aways. There will be the occasional game like chipping golf balls into the pool, or throwing rubber chickens into a ring.

Generally you will always be able to find a quiet spot if not near the Lido pool then by the aft pool.

There will be a choice of two types of drinks of the day, one martini type and one special type. Try the Lemon Drop, it's fabulous!

We have never had a problem getting a chair by the pool, however, we don't sail on Vista class and I understand they have more of a problem with chair hogs.

We sailed Westerdam. There were pool games on several days. There didn't seem to be a band but music was piped in (mostly pop music). There was a nice little counter where you could get tacos, fajiatas and the like. We raided it for guacamole a couple of times. There were times we could not find chairs at the main pool so we would go to the aft. The bartenders circulated regularly but were not pushy.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely take my ipod down to the pool as music is very important to me and if it's something I don't like it can ruin the atmosphere.

It all sounds very relaxing and civilized.

Do the chairs not lie flat on all ships? I do like to have the occasional lie down and snooze time.

Anyone have a drink on HAL similar to the RCCL Mango tango?? I love that drink! Pina Colada with a gob of mango freeze on top....YUM!!!

Thanks again.

A:D

twinkletoes4445: I'm curious......Why did you state that you will probably ONLY sail HAL in the future??

What makes HAL so different or special to you? :confused:

Because from the minute we were met at the airport, until the minute we walked off the ship (at the end)...we had the best time we've ever had on a vacation. The entire experience was wonderful. We were pampered by everyone. The food was good, the service was amazing...and we honestly can't think of one thing that we didn't like (well, we really didn't care for the Internet gal, but that's such a small thing).

We've only cruised one other time and that was on Carnival. While we had a good time (we were with our kids), that cruise didn't even hold a candle to what we experienced on HAL.

We were looking for a quiet cruise. We weren't interested in listening to children howl and run around, or even adults doing that sort of thing. We basically wanted to just sit and read and relax, and we did just that. Now 10-15 years ago, we may have been bored on a cruise like this, but for where we are now, it was perfect.

Hands-down, HAL has service covered. Hubby isn't a big fan of cruising, but he said he'd do HAL again. And for him, that's quite a statement.

We just loved every second of every day while we were on the Zuiderdam. It was a wonderful week of pampering. And we loved the other cruisers. No pushing, no shoving...everyone just was so darn polite.

But this is just my opinion. Others may be bored to tears with what we like. That's what nice...there is a lot of other different options for cruising out there...but it's really wonderful when you find the cruise line that works for you. And that's what we did. :)

Hi all,

Thanks again..

Welcome to the HAL, you will love it, no stupid games and nice bands, hope, you will stay, PD Napa Valley, CA, 300+ days!!

Archived