Can you pack a lunch and take it off the ship?

If you read in your daily program NOT to bring food of the ship then don't.

The Agricultural survival of a country could depend on you being respectful and honoring this request.

I'm California native (live in Silcon Valley, aka Santa Clara Valley which was once the prune and apricot capital of the world) and as a young kid lived

through the nightly helicopter sprayings because of the medfly..Our economy was devastated.

If you even attempt to bring fruit into our state, the cute little doggys in the airport or cruise terminal will sniff your bag and it will be confiscated

and if you're lucky you will get off with a warning, otherwise a HUGE fine!

I,m surprized at the reaction of our fellow cruises weather or not to bring a lunch from the ship..Order room service in the morning, When sailing with celebrity, we use to order a nice sandwich with turkey and cheese that came with a pickle and chips.. Place sandwich in your backpack, (or whatever you bring to the beach) and enjoy.. We would purchase a beverage at a local store . Most cruise lines don,t want you to do this.. But one day not chasing back to the ship, or looking for a place to eat in the hot sun, surely won,t hurt..

It's not a point of whether or not fellow cruisers want you to take anything off the ship, but it's law and you're violating local laws by bringing your turkey sandwich off the ship. On my recent cruise, an announcement came over the loud speaker every 10 minutes saying that's it's illegal to take ANY food off the ship, as it violated agricultural laws. Many times, there have been local officials standing at the dock checking bags for food, and taking it away. It's the same reason why the US has strict laws about bringing food or plants back to the US---it can cause great harm to the local agricultural community.

Most cruise lines don,t want you to do this.. But one day not chasing back to the ship, or looking for a place to eat in the hot sun, surely won,t hurt..

WOW! i don't even know what to say... to have someone knowing break the law when visiting other countries and think it is perfectly ok to do so because it is just for one day?

Just think if everyone had this attitude, the fragile aco% ag system could be lost forever.

For example here is the restiction for Belize:

Vacuum packed USDA approved foods only. Use of dry ice is severely restricted. Meats require a permit from the Belize Department of Agriculture. No fresh fruits or vegetables Items may be subject to inspection

I understand ag laws (and adhere to them completely btw) but I'm curious how this translates to an NCLA cruise, especially since I'm about to take one. Thinking about it, taking a small soft sided cooler and packing a lunch would be terrific.

Initially I would assume that since the cruise originates in Hawaii and does not visit any foreign ports, that it would be fine to pack a lunch from the ship. Upon further reflection though, I'm wondering if they have inter-island agriculture restrictions. Anyone know the answer to that one?

I,m surprized at the reaction of our fellow cruises weather or not to bring a lunch from the ship..Order room service in the morning, When sailing with celebrity, we use to order a nice sandwich with turkey and cheese that came with a pickle and chips.. Place sandwich in your backpack, (or whatever you bring to the beach) and enjoy.. We would purchase a beverage at a local store . Most cruise lines don,t want you to do this.. But one day not chasing back to the ship, or looking for a place to eat in the hot sun, surely won,t hurt..

Next time, sail on a less expensive cruise line so that you can afford to eat in port. A friend of mine owns a "beach club" at one of these ports and I can not tell you the number of "bums" that walk in her beach club (which does not charge an entrane fee) , take up her chairs, tables and unbrellas and then prop their "cruise ship lunch" up on the table to feast on. (oh yea, they order a coke...big deal) It is not only against the law...it is rude and tacky.

You'll have to check with what restrictions are imposed, if any. On our last cruise, it was printed in the daily newsletter, it was announced several times that you could not take food off the ship. When we were disembarking, there was a trash barrel full of sandwiches, apples, bananas, etc... They were searching everyones bags thoroughly. So, if they tell you you can't, don't.

I'd suspect Hawaii is different, because you will be in the same state the whole time, but I could be wrong. Let us know when you return.

Let's get us clear... if you take anything that is not a commercially pre-packaged product off the ship in a foreign port you are subject to warnings, fines and jail time. In Canada at the airports and the cruise ports there are dogs that will sniff your luggage and your hand luggage. I have seen them take a lady away because she had food in her purse.

So, is this worth a few hours of your time explaining why you violated their laws? Is it worth a few hundred dollars? Is it worth having to stay in port overnight in a jail cell waiting for the consulate to bail you out?

Most ports have a garbage can and a warning sign as you come off the ship. Go beyond it and you have knowingly violated the law and the cruise line won't be sending you any help. It's not their fault. They warn people over and over again. And frankly, you should have more respect for the places you visit than to endanger their agriculture.

Good points, Ephraim. I'll add one more. Tourism is something that is hosted by the places we visit, for one purpose, to bring in money for the local economy. Refusing to spend money on shore defeats that purpose and creates ill will when people go ashore and leave their waste and trash, but not their cash.

Besides being illegal. Another thought is - would you really want to eat a sandwich that has been in your backpack in the hot sun for half a day? I wouldn't. We do a little research and find good, safe places to eat in the places we visit. Lunch is never that expensive.

It's not a definite NO. It depends on the port. On some islands there are restrictions on bringing in fruits and veges especially, but not all islands. Here's some info:

http://www.ed-hamilton.com/A/DESTINATIONS/1.details/import.html

We are just off Triumph last week and there was nothing mentioned in either announcements or in the Capers about bringing food off ship in any ports.

We have always brought cookies and buns off the buffet and there is no problem with the laws regarding baked goods.

The laws cover vegetables, fruits and meats. Not every type of food. Geesh people calm the heck down. Some of you must have been prefects in school because you can sure come across as preachy prissys.

Try stating the facts with less venom and judgement,perhaps the poster did not realize why there was a no food rule. Or didn't understand why.

The laws are to protect each place from cross contaimination. Cookies, chips and like will not get you arrested or thrown in jail. Or fined.

The cruiseships do announce "no food" but that is because it is easier then trying to explain that while bread is ok, putting tomatoe and lettuce would be wrong. The ports would also you spend your money there.

We will continue to take cookies and breads.

We have no respect for the law, and I have been known to take muffins also. Oh horrors.

I have seen lots of people order sandwiches from room service and take them off ship. I do like eating in a cafe or restaurant on shore, just for something different. I don't suggest taking bananas off the ship, I did in St. Thomas and with in about an hour it was very mushy and yucky.

I always like when people break the rules, it's always "certainly it won't hurt". I believe the rules are more agricultural than anything i.e. no fruit. I cannot understand some people will actually go back just for lunch but to each his own.

Next time, sail on a less expensive cruise line so that you can afford to eat in port. A friend of mine owns a "beach club" at one of these ports and I can not tell you the number of "bums" that walk in her beach club (which does not charge an entrane fee) , take up her chairs, tables and unbrellas and then prop their "cruise ship lunch" up on the table to feast on. (oh yea, they order a coke...big deal) It is not only against the law...it is rude and tacky.

WOW! such hostile reactions.. i had an idea that this would be coming from fellow cruisers.. One of the OTHER things my wife and I love to do is to find a local owned cafe and have them make us lunch.. The one time we did bring a sandwich, it was to the BEACH in a cooled container..There was no worry of cross contamination or any of the other so called worries that where posted.. And we didn,t act like bums at a beach club. We simply ate our sandwich got a tan and threw out any trash when we left..

LHP, Your friend isn't much of a business person if they have a "beach club" that has chairs, tables, and umbrellas, and they don't charge an entrance fee. I have never heard of that before, every beach at every port I have gone to has chairs and umbrellas to RENT, by private club, or individules.

So your friend gives them away free. Gee I want to go there.

If you mean your friend has a food stand or restaurant, they by all means they should just tell people no outside food. That would be normal.

Perhaps your friends beach club is just a few picnic tables, which a tourist may mistake as public, because is many places here in Canada picnic tables at parks and beaches are public.

We will continue to take cookies and breads.

We have no respect for the law, and I have been known to take muffins also. Oh horrors.

No respect for the Law????

I hope you you don't have children you are teaching to disrespect the law also.

with people out there with this attitude......No wonder the whole world is going down the tubes.

WOW! such hostile reactions.. i had an idea that this would be coming from fellow cruisers.. One of the OTHER things my wife and I love to do is to find a local owned cafe and have them make us lunch.. The one time we did bring a sandwich, it was to the BEACH in a cooled container..There was no worry of cross contamination or any of the other so called worries that where posted.. And we didn,t act like bums at a beach club. We simply ate our sandwich got a tan and threw out any trash when we left..

You sound like nice people but you still haven't grasped that it's possible that the trash that you carefully threw in a trash can could be contaminated with some agricultural pest that was harmless to you when you ate your sandwich and fruit but could damage the local ecolgy. We discover all the while what damage we humans are doing to our planet - lots of little damaging acts can add up just as much as one major eco-disaster. I'd suggest that you enjoy your beach day but ensure that you bring EVERYTHING you took to the beach back to the boat with you - use ziplok bags (and surely everyone travels with ziploks?) to seal up your trash and bring it back on board.

You sound like nice people but you still haven't grasped that it's possible that the trash that you carefully threw in a trash can could be contaminated with some agricultural pest that was harmless to you when you ate your sandwich and fruit but could damage the local ecolgy. We discover all the while what damage we humans are doing to our planet - lots of little damaging acts can add up just as much as one major eco-disaster. I'd suggest that you enjoy your beach day but ensure that you bring EVERYTHING you took to the beach back to the boat with you - use ziplok bags (and surely everyone travels with ziploks?) to seal up your trash and bring it back on board.

Archived