Am I the only one & would it help...

ekerr19

if we all subscribed to the CC newsletter on an annual basis?

I think the annual fee is about $30 or so - does any of this go toward maintaining these boards?

For the past few weeks, every time I attempt to post, I get either the white screen of death (WSOD) or the session will time itself out.

What can we do? I love checking in here, but don't always have the patience (or time) for the pages to load or get frustrated typing a reply only to have the reply enter the "black hole" of cyberspace...

I have no problem paying an annual fee to CC for the newsletter - mainly because I love to read it and want to support these boards and the site. As the site grows, what will become of us? I see (for the first time) my own TA advertising here - I am actually happy about it and hope that it continues.

But I know there are many posters who will not pay to use this site.

So, what will happen to us now? :confused:

Laura,

I too would be happy to pay a yearly fee to use the Board or to get the newsletter. I have gained so much from the Boards in the 4 year or so since I first joined that I wouldn't mind paying.

The Boards have been so slow of late and very frustrating. I have lost numerous posts and then don't have the time to retype them in. I am now trying to remember to cut and paste in case I lose a post but I don't always remember to do it.

Jennie

Is it me or are others noticing that you can access one thread relatively easily but from there on, it becomes increasingly difficult to do so without a lot of persistence.

I think if there was a nominal charge, the majoity would switch to another free board. That alone might reduce some of the problems.

And I have said it before, I am on this board during off hours and the performance is no better than prime time.

Laura,

I too would be happy to pay a yearly fee to use the Board or to get the newsletter. I have gained so much from the Boards in the 4 year or so since I first joined that I wouldn't mind paying.

The Boards have been so slow of late and very frustrating. I have lost numerous posts and then don't have the time to retype them in. I am now trying to remember to cut and paste in case I lose a post but I don't always remember to do it.

Jennie

Jennie -

This is my problem too - I try to copy and paste to MS Word right away so I don't have to re-think and re-type...

Do you subscribe to the CC newsletter? I have since 2004, but I honestly don't know how much (if any) of that subscription goes to this site... I remember reading a post that you were thrilled to receive your Mariner magazine (which is also sporadic for us) so don't know how the mail is for you....

Is it me or are others noticing that you can access one thread relatively easily but from there on, it becomes increasingly difficult to do so without a lot of persistence.

I think if there was a nominal charge, the majoity would switch to another free board. That alone might reduce some of the problems.

And I have said it before, I am on this board during off hours and the performance is no better than prime time.

hammy - It seems to go "on & off" periodically since I've been here in early 2004. There are times when it's almost impossible... but, like I said - it's been that way before for a short period of time.

There are so many new members now, I just wonder if the servers can handle all the traffic... :confused:

I would pay it, but many people won't. I've seen other websites go down after charging a small fee (and by small I mean about 10 bucks a year). I've been criticized so much in the past week I won't accuse people of being cheap, but if we can all afford to pay thousands of dollars on cruises, we should be able to fork over a few bucks per month.

I didn't realize WSOD's were still a problem. My threads have gotten people too riled up, I'm layin low these days.

Jennie -

This is my problem too - I try to copy and paste to MS Word right away so I don't have to re-think and re-type...

Do you subscribe to the CC newsletter? I have since 2004, but I honestly don't know how much (if any) of that subscription goes to this site... I remember reading a post that you were thrilled to receive your Mariner magazine (which is also sporadic for us) so don't know how the mail is for you....

Laura,

No I don't subscribe at the moment. I doubt if it would be sent by air mail. it would probably be sent by snail mail which often takes 3-4 months due to the cost of postage!

I think if it doesn't go by air mail, the mail has to wait for a ship that is coming our way either cargo or cruise ship. A friend from Indiana sent me some magazines last year and they took months and months to arrive and yet the postage cost her over $25US which is exhorbitant for snail mail.

Jennie

if we all subscribed to the CC newsletter on an annual basis?

I think the annual fee is about $30 or so - does any of this go toward maintaining these boards?

Hi,

Are you talking about the print newsletter that was on offer by paid subscription? Or is there another one?

Thanks!

Laura,

No I don't subscribe at the moment. I doubt if it would be sent by air mail. it would probably be sent by snail mail which often takes 3-4 months due to the cost of postage!

I think if it doesn't go by air mail, the mail has to wait for a ship that is coming our way either cargo or cruise ship. A friend from Indiana sent me some magazines last year and they took months and months to arrive and yet the postage cost her over $25US which is exhorbitant for snail mail.

Jennie

Jennie -

I never figured the time from the US to AUS - truth be told, our mail is not even the greatest (locally) but I can always try (for you) to scan and email - we also subscribe to World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society newsletters... those are easier to photocopy and either mail or send via efax. Very interesting & informative articles about all cruise lines...

Hi,

Are you talking about the print newsletter that was on offer by paid subscription? Or is there another one?

Thanks!

Jana -

Yes, I was referring to the print newsletter... I've subscribed to since I've found this site, but don't know how much (if any) goes to maintaining these boards...

constructiondude -

You're right, if we all paid, no problem. However, if people like Jennie in Australia and others (who are international :)) have difficulty receiving mail from the U.S.; subscribing is not necessarily in their best interest, though many are obviously willing to do so.

It would be nice to know if their are benefits to subscribing to the "paper" newsletter or not...

What does this CC newsletter look like and what's in it?? Interesting stuff or doo doo?

John -

It's really pretty good - more contemporary with color pictures and all, lol! I really like my "World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society" newsletter though. Very good historical information... all ships & all lines. :)

John -

It's really pretty good - more contemporary with color pictures and all, lol! I really like my "World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society" newsletter though. Very good historical information... all ships & all lines. :)

Color pictures and, hopefully, big writing??? ..................Life is good!;)

Yup, got a subscription to WOCLS also - been getting their electronic version (monthy updates) wich is also pretty descent

constructiondude -

You're right, if we all paid, no problem. However, if people like Jennie in Australia and others (who are international :)) have difficulty receiving mail from the U.S.; subscribing is not necessarily in their best interest, though many are obviously willing to do so.

It would be nice to know if their are benefits to subscribing to the "paper" newsletter or not...

AND THEN THERE IS THE BEASTLY EXCHANGE RATES :eek:

I'm seriously thinking of giving up Cruise Critic for Lent:eek: , although the way things are going here lately, with "fatal errors" and hung threads that don't post, it wouldn't be much of a self-sacrifice.........:rolleyes:

Karin

Yep the fatal errors are really getting to me, next one might be my lot :eek:

Yup, got a subscription to WOCLS also - been getting their electronic version (monthy updates) wich is also pretty descent

Oh John, stop doing it, I am going to die one of these days from laughing at your posts :D Or else they are going to choke me, where the hec have you been ?

Copper is that really what ya arse looks like :confused:

and this descent you talk about, which one is that lmao

Archived