Another Question for Clay

Mary Louise

Hello Clay,

Someone mentioned to me that there are several small islands off of Key West. If this is true, are there any ferrys that run there on a regular basis? How would one be able to get to these small islands.

Thank you for your assistance.

ML

I may not be Clay, but I believe that I can answer your question.

Key West lies at the end of a chain of islands (the Florida Keys) that are all connected by the Overseas Highway (U.S.1). Although there are a number of wonderful little places sprinkled among the 100 miles of Keys, there are no ferries. The only way to get to the other Keys is to drive (or take a public bus) and, to be honest with you, there are not a lot of recommended places until you get at least 25 miles from KW.

Besides the general Keys, there is a small island called Sunset Key that is located just off of KW. Sunset Key has a number of ultra-exclusive residences and a restaurant (expensive) called Latitudes. I believe it is run by the Hilton which runs a ferry to the island on a schedule (not sure how often it runs). I have also heard that there is quite anice beach although I am not sure if it is open to the public.

Other than that, the only other possibility is Fort Jefferson, which is located quite a ways to the West of Key West. Ft. Jefferson is located in the Dry Tortugas and is a national park. You have to take a long (private) boat ride or a sea plane to get there.

I hope that helps!

Most of what BB posted is correct except for the need for a private boat to get to Ft. Jefferson. You can take a nice day trip, the boat leaves about 8 in the morning, its a 2 hour or so trip out, you get a guided tour of the civil war era fort, then lunch (bascially make it yourself sandwiches and chips) and then time to snorkel. Its a great place to snorkel esp for beginners as the fort acts as a breakwater so you can always find someplace not too choppy. The boat leaves around 2 and you are back in KW around 4:30. As i recall, the trip costs around a hundred bucks.

Clay - a key west local

Archived