Renew Vows Question -- First Cruise

Bernbun29

We are on our first cruise on a 7 night on CB, Eastern Caribbean. Would you renew your vows? The first full night is our anniversary, the second night of the cruise is our anniversary. Would you suggest this? We want to go to the formal night. Would love any feedback.

We are on our first cruise on a 7 night on CB, Eastern Caribbean. Would you renew your vows? The first full night is our anniversary, the second night of the cruise is our anniversary. Would you suggest this? We want to go to the formal night. Would love any feedback.

Bernbun29,

I'm a little confused by your question - but here goes: ;)

The vow renewal is usually done on sea days/formal nights in the early evening before the Captain's Welcome Party or Captain's Circle Parties.

The vows are your standard wedding vows - slightly varied because they reflect upon your time together. It was very special.

DH and I renewed our vows onboard the Star. It was our 25th anniversary and it was wonderful.

It was a private ceremony - if you don't count the 15 or so people we invited once we got onboard. We wanted it on the second sea day as that was our actual anniversary and that's exactly what happened.

All the arrangements are made by an events coordinator - one of the pursar's staff and ours was terrific. We asked for our door to be decorated and on our anniversary day, it was. You'll get a letter sent to your cabin with all the details and then after the ceremony you'll get a copy of the vows as well as a certificate signed by the Captain.

We did the $205 package and it included my bouquet, DH's boutonnière, champagne, two champagne glasses, a formal portrait, a ships photographer to record the whole thing...and I may be forgetting something...

Again, we loved it. It was beautifully done and very moving. I didn't expect it to be so emotional.

I say do it.

Bernbun,

I will echo Crusdiva's sentiments. DH and I did the vow renewal last month on the Dawn Princess. Ours, too, was a private ceremony as we were the only couple participating during our voyage. Our 35th anniversary was last June 25.

Since I was also celebrating my birthday onboard (1/27), we asked for the vow renewal on that day. It wasn't formal night but we "dressed to the nines" anyway. The ceremony was held at 5:00 after which we went to the Wheelhouse for champagne cocktails then to dinner at a romantic table for two. It was a truly special celebration :) .

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Ditto on what has been said. Wife and I did the renewal on 1/22, the day after out actual 40th anniversary, mainly because it was formal night and that is the way it was scheduled. It is a very nice, moving ceremony, and it is private for the couple and their guests, in our case our grown children. On the evening we did it, there were seven other couples, and each was done individually in the wedding chapel. I was surprised and impressed at how well it was done. The captain at the time was Noco Benetto, I believe, and he is a very personable and charming individual.

We had the Deluxe Vow Renewal Package on the Tahitian Princess in Nov for our 25th. We got to choose the date we wanted the ceremony. The captain performed our customized vows in the library and we had champagne, flowers, an 8x10 photo in a "silver" frame, nightly canapes, and door decoration. It was very special and I would urge you to go for it.

I know I am probably in the minority here...but here goes... I cannot understand why anyone would need to go through a renewal of marriage vows!! It's just stupid...Is one saying that the first time around it didn't mean anything, "so we'd better do it again just in case?" I think it is an absurd thing to do and in the worst possible taste. Next thing someone will be saying that they dress up in a wedding outfit at the same time:p it's just too ridiculous for words!! :D

Don't waste your hard earned money on something like that - continue to love and adore each other - why have to go through another ceremony?

I know I am probably in the minority here...but here goes... I cannot understand why anyone would need to go through a renewal of marriage vows!! It's just stupid...Is one saying that the first time around it didn't mean anything, "so we'd better do it again just in case?" I think it is an absurd thing to do and in the worst possible taste. Next thing someone will be saying that they dress up in a wedding outfit at the same time:p it's just too ridiculous for words!! :D

Don't waste your hard earned money on something like that - continue to love and adore each other - why have to go through another ceremony?

I just have to respond to this. After reading your responses to various posts, it seems to me that you are one of the most negative people that post here. Why can't two people express their love and comitment to each other without you expressing your negative attitude toward them. You should try to smile sometime

I just have to respond to this. After reading your responses to various posts, it seems to me that you are one of the most negative people that post here. Why can't two people express their love and comitment to each other without you expressing your negative attitude toward them. You should try to smile sometime

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I was saddened and a little shocked to read the negative post regarding the beautiful, memorable ceremony during which my husband and I restated our love, honor, and respect for one another after 35 years of marriage.

Chris

Sorry to hear such negative comments. With each life comes changes in outlook. We often take things for granted as we trudge through the daily grind. Having a chance to reiterate our feelings for one another is by no means "STUPID" IMHO.

To crusdiva (My DW) I would marry you again & again.

Sorry for the double post, although maybe appropriate since we are doing something we believe in more that once.

I know I am probably in the minority here.

Duh!!!!!

..but here goes... I cannot understand why anyone would need to go through a renewal of marriage vows!! It's just stupid...Is one saying that the first time around it didn't mean anything, "so we'd better do it again just in case?"

Why would anybody need you to understand. You have absolutely no clue. One of the most beautiful things in the world is to see two people recommit themselves as an act of love. Take it from someone who has been in Pastoral Ministry for many years.

I think it is an absurd thing to do and in the worst possible taste. Next thing someone will be saying that they dress up in a wedding outfit at the same time:p it's just too ridiculous for words!! :D

Absurd would be your tasteless comments about something you obviously don't understand.

I intend to put my money to good use, as did the others here. Not only will I renew my vows before my congregation on the day before we board the ship, but I will again renew my vows while aboard ship on my anniversary.

I would spend that money over and over to let my DW know how important she is to me, and that I would marry her over and over again.

As I do not know your gender, I pity your DW or DH.

Regards,

Chef

It is also redundant to say I love you to your spouse. After all, you said it once and meant it so why waste time by repeating it? For that matter you can dispense with anniversary celebrations also.

It is your attitude that is too ridiculous for words! You need a major cynicism adjustment.

Having said that, My wife and I renewed our vows on our recent cruise on the Caribbean Princess. It was a beautiful and moving ceremony conducted by the Captain on the first Formal Night, which was the first full day at sea. To the OP, do not let this negative person discourage you from a truly romantic and beautiful experience.

I cannot understand why anyone would need to go through a renewal of marriage vows!! It's just stupid...

" I think it is an absurd thing to do and in the worst possible taste. Next thing someone will be saying that they dress up in a wedding outfit at the same time:p it's just too ridiculous for words!! :D

I have taken the liberty of forwarding your message to Princess' new "Department of Romance". They have assured me that they will put their best people on it immediately and come up with a remedy to your obvious lack of sensitivity and romantic spirit. For your sake and taht of your spouse, I hope they hurry !!!

My wife and I are considering the vow renewal thing on our August cruise to Alaska and I had a few questions maybe you all could help me with. We were thinking that if something like this was ever going to happen, the best chance is with both of us “trapped” on ship with our fancy clothes! HA!:D

• Is there some sort of written rule that says you have to renew your vows on or near your anniversary date? August is not even close to our anniversary date, but I am not sure I care… just not sure it makes any difference?

• I was under the impression that the vow renewal took place in the wedding chapel room where the internet camera is? Internet camera allows friends and family to attend remotely.

• Can you use personalized vows?

• Does the captain perform the ceremony?

• It has been mentioned that afterwards you get a “table for two” for dinner. Where is this table, in the traditional dinning room, anytime dinning room?

• One poster mentioned going to the “wheelhouse”, is that wheelhouse as in the bridge of the ship? If so, that would be pretty cool, especially if I could pilot the ship for awhile! ;) Is this part of vow renewal package?

• Is there any music during the ceremony?

• What if it is just you and your wife on the cruise, no friends, relatives, hangers-on etc? In this case is it just you, your wife, and the captain present in the room? Can you grab a few people on the way to the ceremony to make it look like there are more people in the room for the photographs? (just kidding, mostly):)

Thanks!

This thread is just too funny!!:D For a couple that have been together since we were children, childhood sweethearts who are more in love with each day - and married 35 yrs - I find it impossibly funny to think of people feeling the need to "renew" their vows. Of course, one can express/tell each other of your love numerous times a day:) ...but to go through a ceremony again ...that's just plain daft:eek:

CornerExit,

I'll answer the questions as best I can since you referred to some comments that I made regarding the vow renewal ceremony.

*DH and I celebrated our 35th anniversary on June 25, 2006 and renewed our vows on January 27, 2007 that happened to be my birthday as this is the time of year that we cruise.

*The Dawn Princess has no wedding chapel. The vow renewal ceremony took place in a Conference Room on Riviera deck.

*DH and I did not write our own vows for the ceremony but I'm sure that input from the couple would be welcome. That said, the pre-written vows for the ceremony were perfect!

*Captain Tony Draper officiated at the ceremony.

*DH and I always do "anytime" dining on our Princess cruises and almost always request a "table for two".

*The Wheelhouse is one of the lounges on the Dawn Princess.

*There was no music.

*DH and I were traveling alone and did not invite others to the ceremony. The Junior Assistant Purser attended as the witness, and the ship's photgrapher was there to take pictures.

Chris

My DH and I sail the Dawn on March 21st, the same day as our 15 yr Ann. and I am going to talk with him about renewing vows. Just reading your sweet and endearing posts brought tears to my eyes. I LOVE the idea, and think a ceremony along with the cruise itself would create dear and precious memories for us for many years to come.

I am beginning to feel old lately (I'm only 34) but having been married for 15 years is making me feel older than I am really am. I can see how something this sweet and simple could remind me of how lovely and YOUNG I felt on the day we married (I was only 19 :eek: *SIGH*)

Here's to the young at heart with adventurous spirits!!

My wife and I are considering the vow renewal thing on our August cruise to Alaska and I had a few questions maybe you all could help me with. We were thinking that if something like this was ever going to happen, the best chance is with both of us “trapped” on ship with our fancy clothes! HA!:D

• Is there some sort of written rule that says you have to renew your vows on or near your anniversary date? August is not even close to our anniversary date, but I am not sure I care… just not sure it makes any difference?

• I was under the impression that the vow renewal took place in the wedding chapel room where the internet camera is? Internet camera allows friends and family to attend remotely.

• Can you use personalized vows?

• Does the captain perform the ceremony?

• It has been mentioned that afterwards you get a “table for two” for dinner. Where is this table, in the traditional dinning room, anytime dinning room?

• One poster mentioned going to the “wheelhouse”, is that wheelhouse as in the bridge of the ship? If so, that would be pretty cool, especially if I could pilot the ship for awhile! ;) Is this part of vow renewal package?

• Is there any music during the ceremony?

• What if it is just you and your wife on the cruise, no friends, relatives, hangers-on etc? In this case is it just you, your wife, and the captain present in the room? Can you grab a few people on the way to the ceremony to make it look like there are more people in the room for the photographs? (just kidding, mostly):)

Thanks!

Corner Exit,

1) You can renewal your vows whenever you'd like, as cruzinchris mentions above (Hi Chris). We were very lucky as our renewal fell on our actual anniversary date.

2) The ceremony takes place in the wedding chapel on those ships with a wedding chapel - I believe cruzinchris mentioned that on the Dawn it was in the Ward Room.

3) You'll have to request that the camera be turned on.

4) Our vows were pretty standard so I'm not sure about personalization.

Here's a link to our's: http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cpebmw/album/576460762329407776

5) The Captain performs the ceremony.

6) I don't think a table for two is "included" in the package but you can make those arrangements ahead of time with the Maitre'd.

7) The Wheelhouse is a lounge on Princess ships. Though I think the deluxe renewal package might include a bridge tour (don't quote me on that one).

8) We didn't request music so I can't answer that.

9) DH and I had planned on renewing our vows alone but met some wonderful people onboard - we ended up with about 15 guests and a flower girl and ring bearer. It was VERY special.

As I said above (post#2) - it was a wonderful experience and I agree with DH (CruiseKing) - I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

This thread is just too funny!!:D For a couple that have been together since we were children, childhood sweethearts who are more in love with each day - and married 35 yrs - I find it impossibly funny to think of people feeling the need to "renew" their vows. Of course, one can express/tell each other of your love numerous times a day:) ...but to go through a ceremony again ...that's just plain daft:eek:

Not as funny as your lack of sensitivity towards what others consider something beautiful.

I was friends with my wife before we were ever romantic. Everyday for us is like the day we were first married, and we too are more in love with each other everyday.

I find it just as impossibly funny that you have such a problem with this. Maybe it is a cultural thing for you.

You seem to be an extreme minority here.

Regards,

Chef

Wow, you guys have blown me away with your pictures! This is our first cruise, and the night of our 30th anniversary is the first formal night (July 2) -- the second night of the cruise. We have vacationed a lot in Vegas and the coast, but this is our first cruse. Once again, thanks for your input. My e-mail is gettin20041@yahoo.com if anymore words of wisdom -- you guys are great.

We hope to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary in May next year, and we have decided to book the Bejing to Bangkok cruise for our special year. We hope to renew our vows in October while on the Sapphire Princess. This will be the second time we will have renewed our vows - we also did this in our church on the occasion of our 25th anniversary. To renew your vows is neither stupid or absurd. It reminded us of the day we made our original vows so many years ago and to be thankful that our love has lasted through the years - through good times and bad. In the times in which we live when divorce ( and the unhappiness that affects all those connected to the couple involved) is commonplace, to be thankful you have been able to stick together is something to celebrate - in whatever way the couple concerned choose to do it. And yes, we do tell each other we love each other every day. We have the most wonderful memories of our time together and hopefully this very special occasion will be another one. Please don't knock / mock what you don't agree with - live and let live. x

Just off the Sea Princess and 4 couples from our roll called renewed.

Fantastic.:) Mind you none of the wifes knew this was going to take place till the bubbly showed up in cabin with glasses. Cat was out of the bag.:o

Did I do it to renew (NO). I did it for the experience, to she if she would say Yes.:confused: She was shocked as were the other wives. It happened on Valentines evening one couple at a time in Captains lounge. She will always remember it as well all 4 couples celebrated in Atrium popping champagne corks. New friends celebrating a common event.

Not a romantic at heart so it was done to surprise her. She said highlighte of trip and also enjoyed the bridge tour as well.

There you go my 2 cents Canadian:D .

'Tis you who are a wee bit daft on this issue my friend :D . In any case here is a picture of me and my daft wife Marj from the ceremony. Captain Romano officiated.

Thanks Chris and Sharon, your replies were very helpful. This sounds like something we might do, except my wife says she wants something more in the renewal ceremony that specifically reinforces the part of our vows about me "obeying" her. ;)

We are going to be on the Golden, which I think has a wedding room if I recall correctly.

Wayne

Thanks Chris and Sharon, your replies were very helpful. This sounds like something we might do, except my wife says she wants something more in the renewal ceremony that specifically reinforces the part of our vows about me "obeying" her. ;)

We are going to be on the Golden, which I think has a wedding room if I recall correctly.

Wayne

Wayne,

You're welcome, happy to help.

Yes, the Golden has a wedding chapel.

One thing I forgot to mention - we were asked if we wanted to exchange rings. You don't have to buy new ones ;) - we used our own bands and did the whole ring ceremony.

As I said, it was very special.

Have a great cruise.:)

Archived