Is there an charge to upgrade between cabins?

parislady40

Is there a charge when you decide to upgrade from one cabin category to another? I changed fro a HH to F category, and the charge seems to be much higher then I expected. Is it normally just the cost between the two cabin categories, or is there any thing additional once you are close to cruise date? The cost of my original cabin is still the same as when I originally booked. I have emailed my TA for a breakdown of the differential, but thought I would bounce it off here where I feel the experts reside. Thanks:confused:

If you went from an HH guarantee to an F guarantee, or a specific HH to a specific F, then you should just pay the list price difference - no "service fee" or anything. But, since the price for a specific cabin of a given class is more than a guarantee for that class, if you traded an HH guarantee for a specific F then the cost could be higher. It that clear? :confused:

... But, since the price for a specific cabin of a given class is more than a guarantee for that class, ...

According to a recent article on Cruise Critic regarding booking guarantees, HAL does not discount guarantees. IOW, a guarantee HH should cost the same as a specific HH cabin.

However, as we all know, cruise pricing varies all over the lot and changes from day to day, or even hour to hour. The OP may have originally had a fare that was discounted for some reason, perhaps just a special promotion. When they upgraded, they may have changed to a category that was not eligible for the discount, or the promotion may have expired.

Or, the CC article may have been wrong.. :D

According to a recent article on Cruise Critic regarding booking guarantees, HAL does not discount guarantees. IOW, a guarantee HH should cost the same as a specific HH cabin.

Or, the CC article may have been wrong.. :D

Hmmmm ... I didn't see that article. :( Did HAL formerly discount the guarantees? I'm pretty sure it was a TA that told me that a few years back. And I know there's at least a couple of long-time CC members/posters who still believe that that's one benefit of giving up your ability to choose a location. :confused:

Hmmmm ... I didn't see that article. :( Did HAL formerly discount the guarantees? I'm pretty sure it was a TA that told me that a few years back. And I know there's at least a couple of long-time posters on this board who still believe that that's one benefit of giving up your ability to choose a location. :confused:

I have never found a price difference between a guarantee (category G, for example) and booking a specific category G cabin.

Sometimes guarantees are offered only in a lower category and the cruiser may have decided to go with a lower category than originally planned, and thus paid less for a guarantee.

I'm a bit confused again. If I know the actual price of the cabin category when I bought it and I can see the new price of the category I upgraded to (from the HAL website), shouldn't I have paid the difference between the two?

Now I am confused by your confusion.:)

If you are in a higher category, you will probably be paying a higher price.

If the price has gone up in the the category you upgraded to, you have to pay the current price........not the difference between category pricing.

I do that to people. Just ask my DH. I paid xxxx.xx originally. I decided to upgrade to a higher cabin and pay for the upgrade. I okayed with my TA to upgrade as I just wanted a specific cabin. It was done. I then went to the HAL website and looked at the current charge for the cabin as it stands today(same rate as yesterday when the change was made), and the charge to upgrade was higher. Whereas it should have been a few hundred, it is almost double. Hence my confusion!

I do that to people. Just ask my DH. I paid xxxx.xx originally. I decided to upgrade to a higher cabin and pay for the upgrade. I okayed with my TA to upgrade as I just wanted a specific cabin. It was done. I then went to the HAL website and looked at the current charge for the cabin as it stands today(same rate as yesterday when the change was made), and the charge to upgrade was higher. Whereas it should have been a few hundred, it is almost double. Hence my confusion!

So you originally paid $X and the new cabin is priced at $Y. $Y - $X = $Z but you say you paid 2 times $Z, correct? You did take into account that the quoted prices are per person, and would be doubld for a couple, right?

So you originally paid $X and the new cabin is priced at $Y. $Y - $X = $Z but you say you paid 2 times $Z, correct? You did take into account that the quoted prices are per person, and would be doubld for a couple, right?

Dave,

Ruth e-mailed me she is going solo.

Dave,

Ruth e-mailed me she is going solo.

(different Ruth) --- But she would still have a single supplement, and in an outside cabin it will be (or will be close to) double. Like maybe 190%?

Dave's theory is possible.

(different Ruth) --- But she would still have a single supplement, and in an outside cabin it will be (or will be close to) double. Like maybe 190%?

Dave's theory is possible.

Well, not exactly. Her original fare would have been close to double too.

She had the supplement before and she has the supplement now.

The OP is trying to figure out why her increase between her original cabin and the one she picked now is greater than that on the HAL website.

I also ran her both her original category and the one she moved to through a TAs on line website with the single supplement and the increase between the two was much smaller than what she got. Even if her TA is charging more for both categories, the increase should be close to the same as I found.

She wrote in her e-mail to me that she is discussing this with her TA today and will fill us in after she talks to them.

Archived