ShipYard Cam For The New Disney Ships

Dave Mck

This is the shipyard where the new Disney ships are being, or will be built. I can't say for sure that the ship in the picture is a Disney Ship, but it really looks like one with the rounded bridge area. It resembles the front of The Magic, Wonder, and the drawings I have seen of the new ships.

http://www.meyerwerft.com/page.asp?lang=d&main=2&subs=0&did=826

Yes, the disney ships are far from having their keels laid. Disney has just signed a letter of intent, which basically is just a reservation for shipyard space. They still need to negotiate the actual amount of money that Disney will pay for the ship and also actually design the ships. The pictures shown are concept drawings.

I just did some quick research after noticing that the ships were being built in covered "halls". The Norwegian Gem (pictured in the lower camera) is going to be about the same size as the new Disney ships

The Disney ships have not been started yet, they haven't even signed a contract. Disney signed a letter of intent with the builder, that's all. The details of a contract will still need to be worked out before any construction begins.

When I got the english version I did a search for AIDAdiva and saw a picture of one of their ships. The front of the ship I saw has the same rounded front bridge as the Disney Ships. I guess we will have to wait a while to see the Disney Ships being built.

Thanks for the link.

It's definitely not a DCL ship. They have not even completed design yet and are not expected to be christened for 3+ years.

Its interesting to note that it appears to be an indoor drydock. The building must be huge but image the efficiencies they gain by not having to cope with the elements.

Does anyone know how long these new ships will be? and how long they may take to build? It looks like they only have 2 covered drydocks, one uncovered, and one of them looks like it might not be long enough for the disney ships...we're just trying to figure out how this might work. they're taking a ship out this sunday I guess, and they have quite a few ships scheduled to be delivered in the next few years...6 of them in between 2008 and 2010 alone. 3 in 2007. So I wonder when they're going to start on the Disney ships...they must not take that long to build? :confused:

Does anyone know how long these new ships will be? and how long they may take to build? It looks like they only have 2 covered drydocks, one uncovered, and one of them looks like it might not be long enough for the disney ships...we're just trying to figure out how this might work. they're taking a ship out this sunday I guess, and they have quite a few ships scheduled to be delivered in the next few years...6 of them in between 2008 and 2010 alone. 3 in 2007. So I wonder when they're going to start on the Disney ships...they must not take that long to build? :confused:

To build a cruise ship only takes a couple of years...but the design process can stretch for just as long. As someone pointed out above, right now Disney has basically just reserved space at the shipyard - all the other details still need to be hammered out. Their length hasn't been released, except for a blurb about them being "Post-Panamax" ships, meaning they are either too wide or too long to fit through the Panama Canal. I believe the widest a ship can be to clear the Canal is 106 feet, with a length of about 960 feet. So it'd be safe to say that the new Disney ships might have the dimensions of something like the Diamond or Sapphire Princess - 950 feet long, but too wide to squeeze through the Canal.

From Wikipedia:

The maximum dimensions allowed for a ship transiting the canal are:[1]

• Length: 294.1 metres (965 ft)

• Beam (width): 32.3 metres (106 ft)

• Draft: 12.0 metres (39.5 ft) in tropical fresh water (the salinity and temperature of water affect its density, and hence how deeply a ship will sit in the water)

• Height: 57.91 metres (190 ft) measured from the waterline to the vessel's highest point.

If anyone is interested, my dad gave me a book called The Yard by Michael Sanders. It's about the building of the USS Donald Cook, a guided missile destroyer at the Bath Iron Works in Maine. They go into detail from design to sea trials including the assembly and launching. It's intering that the ship is built in modules upside-down then welded together on the shipways. The launching procedure is fascinating. Just one lever pull and a huge splash.

Archived