How do you compare Regent to Silversea?

dafne

I have been on Silversea- looking into Regent Greek Island cruise

this summer on Navigator-

How do you compare:

Food,

Service,

Cabins etc.

Also Navigator is the older ship- how is it?

Is there a big difference between Navigator and Voyager?( newer ship)

Thanks

Having been fortunate to sail on both cruise lines, IMHO you'll find them comparable. Food and service on both was excellent. RSSC Navigator has a slightly larger cabin that is configured more user friendly; i.e. I didn't have to climb over the bed to get to the facilities when my bride was at the dressing table. My bride insists toiletries were better on SS. Service was excellent on both. Entertainment on both is not Las Vegas pizzazz. RSSC did change entertainers at different ports while SS became redundant after you've seen it once. SS is always all inclusive including a in-suite bar set-up. RSSC provided an in-suite set up and wine with dinner and supper. Other drinks at lounges were on your account. RSSC has changed as of 010107 and are now totally inclusive to compete with SS and Seaborne. I don't know yet how this effects an in-suite set-up.

We are doing Navigator again (our 4th time), Monte Carlo to Ft Lauderdale. Better itinerary, interesting entertainment and good food well served.

I'm confident you'll be pleased on the Navigator.

Dafne, while I've only been on one Silversea cruise(Shadow, and loved it), I've been on many Regent cruises, three on the Navigator. I love all the ships. Since you asked, the main difference between the Navigator other than size (490 vs. 700) is that there are only two dining venues for dinner vs. 4 on the other Regent ships. This doesn't matter to me, as Compass Rose is my favorite for dinner, and personally, I think it is a prettier room than The Restaurant on the Shadow. Cabins are identical on Navigator and Voyager.

Food, service and entertainment are about the same on both SS and Regent, and both share a similar clientele, except that SS has a greater number of non-American passengers.

I have a friend who is on the Navigator now, and she is loving every aspect of her cruise!

The major difference for me would be the size and configuration of the lowest-price suites, which makes RSSC a better value. RSSC's three larger ships have much larger basic suites (over 340 square feet, including verandahs), all or substantially all with verandahs. Even the two larger Silversea ships (Shadow and Whisper) have two basic categories of suites without a balcony, at about 280 square feet or smaller, before you get to the verandah suites,while the small Silversea ships are more comparable to RSSC's Paul Gauguin.

I've been on all Regent ships in their current fleet, and recently cruised the Baltics on one of the smaller Silversea ships (the Cloud) We booked the lowest category balcony suite, and found it much like the lower category suites on the Mariner. The Cloud is a much smaller ship, at a little uner 300 guests double occupancy max. All elements of the cruise were virtually identical to that one would expect on Regent. Actually, Silversea ships tend to be a few years older than Regent's -- but you can't tell it. We found food and service to be equal. If pressed on the issue of food, I would have to say tht I found Regent's slightly better, based on our limited Silversea experience. We found Silversea's entertainment to be perhaps a bit better, but one can't make such a judgement from just one cruise. On the other hand, the excursions on Regent have been much better than we we experienced on Silversea - but again that was just one cruise.

The main difference comes from the fact that we prefer smaller ships than most of Regent fleet has now. So we liked the physical Silversea ship better. Others may prefer a slightly larger ship, so they might prefer Regent's. It's a matter of personal taste. Also (though this may be a controversial statement) we personally find that all of Regent's ships (except the Mariner) tend to be subject to what we would term "excessive vibration" at least on some parts of the ship at some times. The Cloud was totally vibration-free on our cruise. Plus, we did encounter some rough seas for a day or two, and the Cloud rode them with grace and style.

We've cruised a bunch of lines, and frankly there are only three in which we have any interest anymore. These are (in alpha order) Regent, Seabourn (yet to take) and Silversea.When we look for a future cruise, these are the three we investigate. We make our choices solely on price, ininerary, and whether the timing is convenient to us. In qualitative terms, we consider these three lines to be equal, overall.

Thanks,

Richard

I have been aboard SS,SB and Regent. We did the Mariner in Alaska last summer before it went to all inclusive. We enjoyed the different restaurants and felt the food was as good as or better than SS or SB. We had a Penthouse C and it was great, we are doing the standard cabin on the Mariner on 3/13. The big difference was on SS and SB we would order caviar and champagne in our suite almost every afternoon, there is no charge for this, It was not the case on Regent, I do not know if it has changed now that it is all inclusive. I would agree that out of the three I would let price, itinerary and date be my guide because they are all great.

• 2 weeks later...

Ihave almost 800 days with SS, and am a silver member of Regent.

I had previously always gone on SS cruises, but recently have added Regent to my choice.

!. SS has changed...Service from the home office had been NADA..

maybe now that they have a new pres..it might change...(hopefully)

2. I have had a couple of occasions to write to Regent (the pres, & others)

I have had excellent & timely responses.

That having been said... Food is comparable..service on Regent is better...

SS used to have wonderful service...but generally has gone down with the advent of changing servers from Phillipino to Eastern European.

Entertainment on both have a lot to be desired....

Charges at the spa & beauty shop are Way higher on Regent.

We have a couple of Regent cruises booked as well as a couple of SS.. and will give SS a chance to COME BACK .

Archived