San Diego - liquor / wine store

gizmo

I assume you mean the Embassy Suites downtown (there are others). The closest places to get wine would be the Cost Plus downtown (372 4th Ave, a good selection, esp. of CA wines at a reasonable price) and at the Ralph's Supermarket (101 G St, open 24/7, sell all types of wine and liquor). For a regular liquor store you will have to go a little further to Mixon Liquor at 1427 1st Ave.

If you are looking for gourmet wines (at higher prices), then you could check out the Wine Bank (363 5th Ave # 100), or the San Diego Wine and Culinary Center (200 Harbor Dr.), or the Cask Room (550 Park Boulevard) or Fifty Seven Degrees at 1330 G St.

Splinter, is the ES downtown the one on Pacific Highway? Giz, we stayed at Hampton Inn which is on Pacific Highway near the cruise terminal. About a block over and 2 (short) blocks back. We found liquor in a Rite Aid that was a few blocks from Hampton Inn. I can't tell you the street names, but I could give you pretty easy to follow directions if you want! There is also a 7-11 that sells liquor. We bought beer, liquor and "good wine" there when we were there last month. We are not "gourmet" wine drinkers, so I don't know if they have really premium wines since I didn't look. We are booked on the Spirit out of SD next Feb also and I think this time we will be booking the Embassy Suites on Pacific Highway, so I would like this info also. Or else we'll trek back to Rite Aid :p I looked on mapquest and ES appears about 1/2 mile away from Hampton Inn. Maybe Splinter could enlighten me on the distance, tho.

Thanks for the info. We are not premium wine or champagne drinkers so we are not looking for anything out of the ordinary. There is a brand of champagne we like, (Domaine ste Michelle) that I would like to pick up if possible.

Are the liquor/ wine stores open on Sundays ?

Gizmo, I never thought of that. However, here where we live in NJ NONE of the dept, etc stores are open on Sundays (Blue Law) Only grocery, drug stores, like that. And our liquor stores are open on Sundays, but NJ is only allowed to sell booze after noon time. I think CA is much more liberal than the Garden State and I'm sure they're open and will sell booze, but it's a good ? to ask someone who lives out there. I know both Rite Aid and 7-ll are open on Sunday, but whether they sell booze is...:confused:

Gizmo, I never thought of that. However, here where we live in NJ NONE of the dept, etc stores are open on Sundays (Blue Law) Only grocery, drug stores, like that. And our liquor stores are open on Sundays, but NJ is only allowed to sell booze after noon time. I think CA is much more liberal than the Garden State and I'm sure they're open and will sell booze, but it's a good ? to ask someone who lives out there. I know both Rite Aid and 7-ll are open on Sunday, but whether they sell booze is...:confused:

You blew me away with the stores not being open on Sunday. :eek: I grew up in Philly and know all about the Blue Laws in Pennsylvania. The stores were open in NJ and we did a lot of shopping there on Sundays. What part of NJ are the stores not open?

Hopefully someone can answer about the booze being sold on Sundays. I did some Google searchs but didn't find anything.

In the South, blue laws are the norm. Here in the Charlotte area, stores are open on Sunday, but no alcohol can be sold until 1 PM. Guess the lawmakers want to make sure all the alcoholics are sober for church :D !

Just over the border in SC, I don't think they allow alcohol sales on Sunday at all. Plenty of "dry counties" exist in the South, where no alcohol is sold, ever! I thought we all learned that prohibition does not work. I guess some localities never learn.

We live in northeastern NJ. Right across the George Washington Bridge from NYC. Our county has blue laws. The Rite Aid in San Diego really has a great selection of liquor. Before you trek all over town, check it out.

Archived