Fitness Program

giraffez

They have nice gyms on their Vista class ships, as well an outdoor deck for walking and jogging.

There are a few free classes offered but many are extra charge incl. pilates, yoga, etc. I found them to be far too basic for my needs but I work out daily and the classes I am used to are more advanced. The free aerobics classes are fine.

Many of the classes are tailored to an older clientele so keep that in mind as well.

HAL has gyms on ALL their ships. A good selection of exercise machine, weights and they offer various classes.

Promenade Deck is fabulous for walking. The beautiful teak decks wrap all around the ship and are great for pounding out some miles!!!

Just returned from a week on the Westerdam and we found plenty of ways to burn off those delicious calories. I presume the gyms on all Vista class ships are similar, and I found the Westerdam’s well-equipped and seldom busy. There was a good selection of cardio equipment, and the view forward was spectacular – better than any land gym could ever be. There was no dedicated jogging track, but the promenade deck was very pleasant for walking and running, especially when we were underway. A sign indicates that three times around equals one mile. And, of course, there are all those stairs…

Perhaps it’s intentional on HAL’s part, but the only scale I found onboard was in the gym and it was in metric (kilograms) only. Plus, it was a dial type scale and the needle vibrated so much as the ship was rocking that there was no way to accurately weigh myself until I got back home.

sail7seas, I was not implying that only Vista class ships had gyms, I just have not yet had the opportunity to see any others for myself:)!

No, of course, you didn't.

I was just trying to share information and be helpful.

Briny...I thought it was a lucky thing that the scale was wobbly. It showed that I had only gained one itty, bitty pound on our cruise!! Hurrah...bring on the desserts!!:p

By the way, I agree. The ship's gyms are pretty decent. The equipment is in great condition and up to date. I liked that the Noordam had little flat screen tv's for viewing while on the treadmills, just like at our local gym. The room was quite spacious and it was used often but never overcrowded. I appreciated the On Deck for The Cure walk on our cruise...an excellent cause which I am very glad HAL is supporting. About 40 people or so participated in the 9 laps (equivalent to 3 mi.) on our recent trip. And you get a t-shirt with the $15 donation...another way to remember a wonderful vacation!

To me, the best part of the gym was that as you walk on the treadmill, you look out wrap around windows and see the ocean. Where can you get a view like that when you exercise? :)

The first few days on the Noordam, they told me the scale was broken. Then one day, it did show up. I finally got it to register in pounds, but as Caribbean girl said, the needle kept going back and forth between about 4 pounds which wasn't very reassuring.

I actually lost one pound on my recent cruise. Can't figure that one out.

I'm sailing on the Maasdam in April. I'm looking for info on the gym program, esp on pilates and yoga. I want to see what big hype about these programs. Since I'm a novice, are the classes easy to follow along?

Gym equipment and onboard pools are free. There is a fee for personal training and specialized classes. There is also a spa fee for the hydrotherapy pool and thermal suite. (see any spa discussion). You can always walk or jog a mile on the deck at most any time, no chargel

Here is some info from daily programs on February Oosterdam itinerary:

Day3- (port day) 9 am (fee) yoga; 4 pm (fee)spinning; 5 pm(free) stretch

Day 4-(port day) 8 am(free) aerobics & strength; 4pm (fee)spinning;5pm(free) Stretch

Day 5-(at sea) 8 am (free) stretch; 8:30 (fee) On Deck for the Cure; 9 am (fee) yoga;3pm (fee) spinning;4pm(fee)pilates;5pm(free) stretch

Sign-up sheets were up at beginning of week. Most classes filled quickly. I believe all fee-classes were $11 each--there may have been some discount for multiple classes, does anyone recall?

You need to expect everyone from first-timers to trainer-level participants in classes at sea, so you just proceed at your own ability. Instructors will offer some modifications for beginners or very advanced. For example, i took pilates from the instructor from NZ. I have a very set routine in my own studio that I have followed for 2 years. Naturally, class onboard was different and included some moves I had never tried before. And, the class at sea is always challenging because of the motion. You will have a chance to "sample" yoga or pilates, but you will not necessarily receive the basics in that discipline. You may be plunged right into a mix of level 1 and 2, without the preliminaries of basic positions or breathing techniques.

I enjoy the classes. They help me maintain some kind of routine during vacation. The fees are less in most cases than land classes. However, it may be frustrating because you may not be able to do everything presented in one class session at sea, but this may encourage you to return home to seek out further instruction if the activity piques your interest. Just enjoy yourself...ask questions, the staff is in the gym all day long to help and suggest.... If you want a really good workout, take the stairs and by pass the elevators!

Gym equipment and onboard pools are free. There is a fee for personal training and specialized classes. There is also a spa fee for the hydrotherapy pool and thermal suite. (see any spa discussion). You can always walk or jog a mile on the deck at most any time, no chargel

Here is some info from daily programs on February Oosterdam itinerary:

Day3- (port day) 9 am (fee) yoga; 4 pm (fee)spinning; 5 pm(free) stretch

Day 4-(port day) 8 am(free) aerobics & strength; 4pm (fee)spinning;5pm(free) Stretch

Day 5-(at sea) 8 am (free) stretch; 8:30 (fee) On Deck for the Cure; 9 am (fee) yoga;3pm (fee) spinning;4pm(fee)pilates;5pm(free) stretch

Sign-up sheets were up at beginning of week. Most classes filled quickly. I believe all fee-classes were $11 each--there may have been some discount for multiple classes, does anyone recall?

You need to expect everyone from first-timers to trainer-level participants in classes at sea, so you just proceed at your own ability. Instructors will offer some modifications for beginners or very advanced. For example, i took pilates from the instructor from NZ. I have a very set routine in my own studio that I have followed for 2 years. Naturally, class onboard was different and included some moves I had never tried before. And, the class at sea is always challenging because of the motion. You will have a chance to "sample" yoga or pilates, but you will not necessarily receive the basics in that discipline. You may be plunged right into a mix of level 1 and 2, without the preliminaries of basic positions or breathing techniques.

I enjoy the classes. They help me maintain some kind of routine during vacation. The fees are less in most cases than land classes. However, it may be frustrating because you may not be able to do everything presented in one class session at sea, but this may encourage you to return home to seek out further instruction if the activity piques your interest. Just enjoy yourself...ask questions, the staff is in the gym all day long to help and suggest.... If you want a really good workout, take the stairs and by pass the elevators!

Thanks for the info!! I want to sample the classes just to see if it's something that I really want to do. I guess when I get on board, I talk to the gym instructors.

Also you are right about the staircase!! I try to use the staircase half the time. Also walking the mile around the promenade after dinner is great too.

On some longer cruises they offer a book of coupons for various classes (same class not a variety) which can save you a bit of money. However, the class times on our Hawaii cruise sometimes conflicted with other activities. I actually ended up paying slightly more than the per class rate because I could not attend the whole series. Yoga, pilates, etc. have been eleven dollars per class on my most recent cruises.

Just a word about walking/jogging/running - on the S and R class ships there are cabins under the Lower Promenade deck. Out of consideration for the folks who inhabit those cabins, please do NOT run or jog on Lower Prom. There is a jogging track on the Sports Deck. It is not ideal but at least the thundering footfalls will not be as disturbing to anyone below in the Lido.

Just my two cents as an avid exerciser and gym rat:).

The yoga and pilates classes are SOOOOO basic and SOOOO easy, they really are nothing like what is offered in centers back home.

For me it was a total waste and a big disappointment.

Archived