You can't win!

sjohnson529

People complain about shorts/t-tops in the dining rooms. I agree, that's tacky. But when people choose not to dine in the dining room so they can wear their shorts/t-tops, people complain that their tablemates don't show up. Yikes!

We usually eat at the buffets. We never go to formal night as we would not be properly dressed. We might go to the dining room once or twice on a cruise (appropirately dressed) but then I'm sure our tablemates complain that we "show up once and never come back".

What's a person to do?

People complain about shorts/t-tops in the dining rooms. I agree, that's tacky. But when people choose not to dine in the dining room so they can wear their shorts/t-tops, people complain that their tablemates don't show up. Yikes!

We usually eat at the buffets. We never go to formal night as we would not be properly dressed. We might go to the dining room once or twice on a cruise (appropirately dressed) but then I'm sure our tablemates complain that we "show up once and never come back".

What's a person to do?

Go on your cruise, have a great time and DO NOT worry about what other's think of you. It works for me every time!!!! ;)

It's a vacation, we don't necessarily "plan" what we are going to do until the last minute.

I said "if". ;)

I fully understand where you are coming from, and I think it is laudable. Other then the waiting, I don't understand why anybody would be upset anyway.

Other ideas for mitigating hurt feelings would be to advise your tablemates the first time you go what you are up to or request a table for two maybe, or like others say just don't worry about it. If you were at my table, I wouldn't care.

If it is planned, inform your waiter or tablemates you won't be there so there is no uncessary waiting for you to show up.

I wouldn't wait. If you're there fine. If not, bring on the food. You don't owe me notification if you're not going to be there, and I wouldn't be bothered a bit.

We were with an unorganized group last year, and only went to dinner in the dining room the first night! Just didn't fit into our schedule.. ;) We told our tablemates that we probably wouldn't be there, so they could play 'switcheroo' within the group if they wanted.:rolleyes:

(I know, it confuses the staff, but HEY, it's a vacation)..:D And we tipped the servers anyhow..:p

My daughter and I are taking a cruise in July on what will be a first for both of us. She's the type that won't budge out of jeans or shorts and a t-shirt and I'm the type that will go from shorts and a tank to getting all dressed up. Chances are she'll hit the pizza and I'll do the formal night a couple of times just to get the experience. Plus, I love meeting new people.

How important is it to let the Maitre D know if you are going to be there or not. I dont recall them ever "waiting" on someone before starting dinner. Either you are there or not. Have I missed something.

It's polite to let them know, but not required. They can figure it out pretty quickly that you're not there.

What's a person to do?

On our last cruise, one couple showed up for dinner in the dining room once. They felt that they got a better deal at the buffet, yum leftovers.

You know your tips go to the servers that are not serving you, right? Yeah the tips are all pooled but you just don't get the service at the buffet. But you can order as many dinners as you want in the dining room.

On lobster night, my tablemate had 3 tails. I doubt that your tablemates would complain that you weren't there. We never did.

Archived