Cruise Food..What do you think?

AFuncruiser

I forgot about MSC. My cruise with them in the Med had the best food in the dining room I have enjoyed on any ship in many years.

Yes, food is definitely subjective as many hated the food on these ships.

Again, this shows how subjective food is: I have cliants that returned a few weeks ago from the Opera. They said the food was edible and that was about it. She missed the really wonderful Italian desserts. I guess being raised in NYC she knew what they should be like. Me, I would probably be happy with a piece of chocolate cake. Of course, the food on a Med cruise might be better, who knows?

The beef dishes on Celebrity are the best but I don't like the desserts at all. I also didn't care for the rubbery lobster on Celebrity-maybe it was just a bad night for them. On the whole, the food on Celebrity was a lot better than RCCL and Carnival.

Again, this shows how subjective food is: I have cliants that returned a few weeks ago from the Opera. They said the food was edible and that was about it. She missed the really wonderful Italian desserts. I guess being raised in NYC she knew what they should be like. Me, I would probably be happy with a piece of chocolate cake. Of course, the food on a Med cruise might be better, who knows?

Me, too, second generation Italian and a father who was chef and had his own restaurant for more than 40 years. I make my own pasta and mom still makes sausage by hand. Never used a prepared sauce in my life!

MSC in the Med has a different menu than the North American sailings. We had tripe, octopus, rabbit, boar, etc., along with the freshly made pasta, risotto, etc. These are dishes found in Italy in various regions (I have spent months there over the years) and would have little appeal to those who enjoy the Americanzied versions of Italian food.

As for dessert, it is not my thing, but my mom was with me and had them at breakfast and lunch and loved them.

Me, too, second generation Italian and a father who was chef and had his own restaurant for more than 40 years. I make my own pasta and mom still makes sausage by hand. Never used a prepared sauce in my life!

MSC in the Med has a different menu than the North American sailings. We had tripe, octopus, rabbit, boar, etc., along with the freshly made pasta, risotto, etc. These are dishes found in Italy in various regions (I have spent months there over the years) and would have little appeal to those who enjoy the Americanzied versions of Italian food.

As for dessert, it is not my thing, but my mom was with me and had them at breakfast and lunch and loved them.

Sounds yummy: I too don't do desserts. As for making your own pasta, well I am not Italian, never lived in NYC area and never made my own pasta. I do love to cook and make my own sause, just not the pasta. NMNita

I've only been on Carnival, Princess, and X. I liked X the best, and even thought their strawberry soup was better than Carnival's. I would rank dinner in the dining room as follows:

Celebrity

Princess

Carnival

But we had terrific service in the Carnival dining room, which surprised me a little.

Archived