Cruise Food..What do you think?

AFuncruiser

Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Holland America, and Royal Crib, in my opinion the food is all the same. I found MSV ‘s food inferior and The Seven Seas Mariner food vastly superior.

What do you think?

Dennis

An afternoon on the Norway 1981

Christmas cruise 7 night1984

Sky Princess 10 night

Russian Cruise Line 4 night

Crown Monarch 7 night

Festival Carnival 7 night

Norway 7 night September 1989

Regent Sea 15 night Panama Canal 1993

Commodore Caribe 7 night

Regal Princess 7 night 1998

Star Princess 7 night 1999

Zuiderdam Holland America 14 night 2000 ( Dec)

Tropical Carnival 5 night 2001

Norway August 7 night 2002

Rydam Holland America 19 night South America 2003

Westerdam Holland America 7 night 2004

Zenith Celebrity 14 night March 2005

Celebration Carnival 5 night September 2005

MSV Lucia Central America 21 night Christmas 2005

Celebration Carnival 4 nights August 2006

Celebration Carnival 5 nights September 2006

Seven Seas Mariner 18 nights November 2006

Carnival Celebration 5 nights March 24th 2007

Celebrity Century 13 night Trans Atlantic April 26th 2007

I've only been on Carnival and RCI in recent years - I thought RCI's food was somewhat better. I have sailed on HAL before and found their food much better but that was 15 years ago.

We'll be on X in 3 weeks so I'll give my opinion then!

The best food I ever had on a cruise was on the Leonardo da Vinci (Italian Line) over 30 years ago, but that cruise line no longer exists. In recent years I have been on one Royal Caribbean Cruise, one Carnival Cruise, and many Celebrity Cruises. Of those three cruise lines, I feel that Celebrity has the best food and Carnival has the worst.

I have sailed Princess, Celebrity, NCL, Disney and Oceania in the past two years. All of the food was decent but none stood out as much as Oceania. Oceania had excellent food. Nothing gourmet but everything that I ate was really good.

I still like Celebrity the best however and think the food is excellent. Celebrity has pretty but flavorless desserts. That is where I think they could improve. Apart from that I have enjoyed every morsel on board and Celebrity is half the price of Oceania.

We have been on HAL, RCCL, Carnival, but tried Celebrity and have been here ever since. Carnival did have the best chilled soups, with HAL second.

But, no one else has the WAFFLES ! ;) :) ;)

Thank you for saying that! I liked Carnival's chilled soups better than any food I had on X (including the waffles).

My food ratings:

#1 -- Celebrity in main dining room and alternative restaurant(Excellent)

#2 -- Holland America, best buffet (Lido)

#3 -- Princess, pretty average, even alternative restaurants are average

#4 -- NCL, I need to try one of their newer ships

#5 -- Royal Caribbean, pretty weak, self serve buffet is a feeding frenzy

(we are going to give RCCL one last try on the Jewel)

No such thing as a bad cruise!:)

Kel

The best food I ever had on a cruise was on the Leonardo da Vinci (Italian Line) over 30 years ago, but that cruise line no longer exists. In recent years I have been on one Royal Caribbean Cruise, one Carnival Cruise, and many Celebrity Cruises. Of those three cruise lines, I feel that Celebrity has the best food and Carnival has the worst.

Oh, those Italian lines:). Sitmar and Home Lines both had wonderful food as did Costa in the old days.

I put HAL and X at the top of the list, Carnival and NCL tied for the bottom and RCI in the average category.

Caviargirl..I remember Sitmar well..giving away my age..and I remember the food as outstanding..but was it or was it just because we were young and having the time of our lives!!..

Jan

Of course as others have said: you can't beat NCL for selection of dining rooms. I still put them second on my list.

HAL stood out in our minds. We sailed the Amsterdam just a few months ago and hardly had a bad meal, in fact we didn't. Their lunch buffet was the best ever.

Celebrity has good meats but we aren't impressed with the rest. It all tasted the same.

Caviargal mentions Costa in the olden days: did Costa twice in the 80s and thought the food was the worst ever. This is one reason I would never cruise them again.

See how subjective food can be. NMNita

Caviargirl..I remember Sitmar well..giving away my age..and I remember the food as outstanding..but was it or was it just because we were young and having the time of our lives!!..

Jan

Jan, it could be that... or perhaps the fact the waitstaff and officers were incredibly handsome and charming?:D

I usually give the edge to Celebrity for dining room food and service. Princess wins for availability of food in the buffet area. There were times on Celebrity and HAL that the buffet was changing over from breakfast to lunch or lunch to afternoon and we couldn't get a full meal.

In my humble opinion, all of the cruise lines I have sailed on have some great meals, mostly good meals and some that are truly poor. I have also found that within a line there are some ships that are way better than others, and it seems that is directly related to the staff, and ship size.

Have sailed Carnival, Hal, NCL and Princess. Will be sailing NCL in a month, and Celebrity, for the first time, in December.

Home Lines had wonderful food in the old days.

OHHHHH... Did you have to remind me of Home Lines??? My mouth is watering!!!:D

....and now I have to go in the kitchen and prepare dinner myself...oh the agony & injustice of it all. Nothing I prepare can compare to ANY food I'm served on a cruise. :o

Archived