Same day arrival

brendielee

OK, the final payment has been made, no airline info yet! (cruising Sapphire ~ Northen Alaskan on 5/19)The Princess Agent said that it should be posted any time now. Also said that even if we land at 1:30 that will be plenty of time for a 4:30 embark! Travelling from Maine...scared of missing the ship! So, my question is, should I tell Princess that I want to change the flight so that we get in a day earlier and stay in a hotel or take the chance. Once before she told me that if needed they would pay for a forced hotel stay. OH WHAT TO DO????

Why don't you wait until you see what connections Princess gives you for your air before deciding? One factor that would play in my decision whether to arrive a day early or not is if I had travel insurance in case of a plane delay to cover the cost to get me to my first port of call. Even then, you would miss an entire day of your cruise. If it were me, I would arrive a day early anyway (I am planning on that on my cruise from San Juan in November and the ship doesn't depart until 11pm). I am not one for cutting things too close. Plus, if you build in some extra time, maybe you can get bumped and get $300-$400 in vouchers toward a future trip:) .

On our first cruise I didn't know it was advisable to fly the day before.

No trouble going down to Miami for the cruise thank goodness,but when we returned we had to wait in Cincinnati for another flight crew to arrive,for over 5 hrs.....If that had happened on the day we were starting the cruise we would have missed the ship.

PLease go the day before,you are making me nervous.

Airlines cancel flights every day:(

OK, the final payment has been made, no airline info yet! (cruising Sapphire ~ Northen Alaskan on 5/19)The Princess Agent said that it should be posted any time now. Also said that even if we land at 1:30 that will be plenty of time for a 4:30 embark! Travelling from Maine...scared of missing the ship! So, my question is, should I tell Princess that I want to change the flight so that we get in a day earlier and stay in a hotel or take the chance. Once before she told me that if needed they would pay for a forced hotel stay. OH WHAT TO DO????

Have your agent call Princess and ask what the flights will be. I did that before I paid my final payment and found out that they would be flying me the same day as my cruise getting me to Fort Lauderdale at 3 PM. That was too close for my tastes. So, I made my own arrangements to go in a day early.

At this point, if you don't like the flights you can pay Princess and extra $75 per person to get flights you prefer.

If it were me, I'd go in a day ahead. Just my experience. We'd have missed one cruise if we hadn't insisted on going in a day ahead of time.

In 2001, we flew in the day of sailing for our Alaska cruise and we were flying from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver, BC. The flight is just under an hour and fifteen minutes. Easy, right? Our flight was supposed to arrived mid-morning but the plane had mechanical problems and our flight was delayed. We ended up making it with very little time to spare (we were too late to even get a boarding photo :(). Lesson learned--we'll never fly in same day again! Personally, I would absolutely fly in a day early!

Good luck!!

Jayne

:)

We had Princess air when we sailed from Florida, flying in on the same day from AZ, where you lose three hours going from west to east, plus changing planes in Dallas. We thought it was cutting it close, but it was our first cruise, and Princess was OK with it, so we went along. We boarded the airport shuttle at FLL at about 4:00, ship sailed at 5:00. We did make it, but just barely, only time to drop our carry-ons in the cabin and go up for the sail-away. We decided right then that arriving the day before is the only way we'll go, especially seeing all the relaxed passengers that had been sunning themselves for the past 4 hours while we stressed.

Having said that, if Princess thinks they can get you there the same day and you request different flights, I don't think they will consider that a 'forced' stay. If they can't get you there in time, they will fly you in the day before and put you in a hotel, but I'm sure they'd rather not. I'd say check your options for making your own air/hotel arrangements, and when you hear from Princess, if you don't like what they offer, see if you can opt out and get your money back, then do it yourself.

Good luck, have a great cruise!

My wife and I ALWAYS fly in the same day. Reading the CC boards I'd think I'm the only one crazy enough to do so, but truthfully a huge percentage of passengers fly in the same day as the airports are always jammed with cruisers coming in the day of.

We live in Portland, OR, and if the ship is leaving out of Los Angeles or Vancouver we just take a flight to get us there by 10am. That leaves at least 6 hours extra time for delays or unforeseen mishaps.

If the cruise is leaving from Florida or San Juan, we do a red eye flight and get in early in the morning to the destination. Again, we get in early enough to give some leeway for delays.

We've never once come even close to missing a ship out of our 7 or 8 cruises. Yeah we have to get up at 3am for the early flight...but so what! We're going on a cruise for 7-15 days so being a little tired the first night is no problem.

I figure we easily save a minimum of $200 bucks each cruise by fly the day of. After 4 or 5 cruises, we've saved $1,000 bucks which pays for a good chuck of the next cruise. Heck, it would completely pay for a super $500pp 7 day cruise!!!

The only time we booked the air through a cruiseline (this was Carnival), they wanted to give us a redeye to Miami. We said no way and had it changed to getting in the night before. After that, we make our own travel arrangements. The only time we don't fly (or take a train) in the day before is when we're driving the 50 miles to San Pedro. Why risk the stress of getting to the port on time or even missing the first day? Planes have mechanical problems, flights get cancelled, weird weather happens.

I have no first hand knowledge of booking flights through Princess. However, I have read enough horror stories on this board to keep me away.

It appears that they book you on whatever the cheapest flight available that lands with about three hours between plane and ship. Lay overs and “red eyes” seem to be the norm from the posts I have read.

If your booking on your own, it may appear easier just to let them handle the extra work. But it sound like a lot of people can’t enjoy the first day onboard because they got “stressed out” getting to the boat.

If you are going out of an airport that doesn't have many airlines, you could call the airlines and see if they have you listed for any flights for that day.

Many times your T.A. doesn't get the info until 30 days.

My wife and I ALWAYS fly in the same day. Reading the CC boards I'd think I'm the only one crazy enough to do so, but truthfully a huge percentage of passengers fly in the same day as the airports are always jammed with cruisers coming in the day of.

Oregon81, THANK YOU!! I don't know that I've seen anyone else on the boards admit that they fly in the day of. Hubby and I are going on the Crown in October; it leaves at 11pm, and we're flying out of Boston. I honestly cannot see the need to go down the day before. Obviously we'll be leaving early in the morning, but if our flight has mechanical problems etc. then there are many other flight options that will get us to San Juan in time. We will watch the weather the week before and if there are any snowstorms predicted (unlikely in Oct., but possible) or severe thunderstorms predicted, we'll look at possibly changing our flights for the day before. Until then, however, I REFUSE to get paranoid about flying down the day of.

Plus, since the boat leaves on Saturday, flying down the day before would mean taking an additional day off work, which isn't really feasible for me.

Take into consideration the time of year, geographic weather climates you travel through and variety of flights at both departure airports and change-of-plane airports. We only flew same day once - to Florida from Ca.

Made it by the skin of our teeth! We now go at least one or two days early to enjoy the departure city. If departure is in Europe we add three or more days to adjust to time changes. We really enjoyed Vancouver before our Alaska cruuise. We pack one suitcase with what we need for just a few days and leave the rest utouched until we unpack in our cabin!

We have found that we can do better than Princess air - fewer stopovers, better airport selection. etc. In any case enjoy!!!

A few years ago, DH and I did southbound Alaska out of Whittier? We let Princess handle the air. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

We left Boston at 7am and flew to Dallas-Fort Worth?? A two hour layover and then direct to Anchorage (7+ hours in coach). Anchorage to Whittier transfer by Princess took over 2 hours with a stop at a nature preserve. We didn't get to the ship until 8:30pm. Our brain said 12:30am the next day. We didn't leave until 10pm during which time we had to get dinner, do the lifeboat drill, and find our stateroom. Finally got to bed about 11:30pm (or 3:30am for us). We were in College Fjords the next am at 6:30. We were both zombies for the first 2 days.

That was the last time we flew in the day of the cruise. There is enough research done by the members on this board to help you find a reasonablly priced hotel and offer advice on transport to the ship. Please listen. If you're coming in from Maine, it would be an incredibly long day and, like us, you could be out of it for a couple of days. Good luck!

Take this advice - FLY IN A DAY EARLY!! On our first cruise, we were novices and took whatever the travel agent told us to heart and believed her that it was safe to fly in the same day. Our ship was to leave at 4 pm, so getting into Miami from the central US by about 1 pm was no problem - right?

Ha ha! Our original flight left about 30 minutes late due to a small mechanical problem. No worries, We still had 2.5 hours to spare.

Our second flight left St. Louis about an hour and a half late, can't remember why. No worries, we still had an hour to spare.

Got to Miami, luggage was terribly slow due getting up to us, so that was another 15 minute delay. No worries, still 45 minutes to spare.

Got to the bus, had to wait for some guy's wife who was in the restroom. He threw a HUGE fit about the driver trying to leave without her, so he waited for her, about another 20 minute delay - all while some woman took a crap. No worries, we still had 25 minutes to spare.

Got to the ship, after the bus driver driving like a mad man through HEAVY traffic (took the entire 25 minutes) and literally as soon as all of us from that bus stepped on, they closed the door behide us. We got to our room and the ship was already moving.

Now tell me how lucky we were to make that ship! Since then, have NEVER flown in the day of the cruise because I don't want some lady taking a crap to make me miss my ship or have to wait a couple of days to catch it at the next port.

Heed my advice, GO EARLY, GO STRESS FREE.

Two potential problems not mentioned above if you fly the same day.

1. Missing baggage - this is far more common than cancelling a flight. We booked cruise air once to San Juan and my wife was without her bags for three days until they caught up with the ship. I have met passengers on several cruises who had no luggage for the entire cruise. Enjoy!

2. If a flight is cancelled, you have a very slim chance of getting another flight since most flights are overbooked and everyone on your flight is trying to get the same two seats. Check out what happeded in Denver a few weeks ago. Some people did not get to their destinations for a week. If that ever happens, immediately use your cell phone to call the airline directly and change your flights.

We used to fly in to the Embarkation port one day early. Now we always leave two days early. Let's see - where would I rather be in January - Florida or New Jersey?

Take this advice - FLY IN A DAY EARLY!! On our first cruise, we were novices and took whatever the travel agent told us to heart and believed her that it was safe to fly in the same day. Our ship was to leave at 4 pm, so getting into Miami from the central US by about 1 pm was no problem - right?

Ha ha! Our original flight left about 30 minutes late due to a small mechanical problem. No worries, We still had 2.5 hours to spare.

Our second flight left St. Louis about an hour and a half late, can't remember why. No worries, we still had an hour to spare.

Got to Miami, luggage was terribly slow due getting up to us, so that was another 15 minute delay. No worries, still 45 minutes to spare.

Got to the bus, had to wait for some guy's wife who was in the restroom. He threw a HUGE fit about the driver trying to leave without her, so he waited for her, about another 20 minute delay - all while some woman took a crap. No worries, we still had 25 minutes to spare.

Got to the ship, after the bus driver driving like a mad man through HEAVY traffic (took the entire 25 minutes) and literally as soon as all of us from that bus stepped on, they closed the door behide us. We got to our room and the ship was already moving.

Now tell me how lucky we were to make that ship! Since then, have NEVER flown in the day of the cruise because I don't want some lady taking a crap to make me miss my ship or have to wait a couple of days to catch it at the next port.

Heed my advice, GO EARLY, GO STRESS FREE.

:D :D Too funny, wasn't she embarrassed to be seen by you all week and hope she appologized for making you all nearly miss the ship:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Another reason to fly down a day before is to sleep in the day of the cruise, get ready and not feel rushed or nervous about getting to the ship in time. My family would have missed our first cruise if we had not flown down a day early. I think its nice to be able to relax and know you are there! You can find a cheap hotel for 1 night. Enjoy your cruise!:rolleyes:

I would say, fly in the day before. Then you wake up close to the ship, have breakfast, maybe relax round the pool for a bit and arrive at the ship relaxed and ready to enjoy your cruise. No hassle.

Having said that, we are flying in from London on the day of sailing, because that's what Princess flights are this time. :eek: I just hope that it works; if not Princess will have to sort thing out!

I would say, fly in the day before. Then you wake up close to the ship, have breakfast, maybe relax round the pool for a bit and arrive at the ship relaxed and ready to enjoy your cruise. No hassle.

Having said that, we are flying in from London on the day of sailing, because that's what Princess flights are this time. :eek: I just hope that it works; if not Princess will have to sort thing out!

Actually, Princess does not have to sort anything out. All cruise lines specifically say that they are not responsible for flight delays / cancellations / missing baggage, etc. Realistically, how could they be responsible. Most cruise lines will try to help you but the cost is totally on you. Also, note that insurance does not cover weather-related delays. Act of God!

Archived