Bonine

Less than two weeks away! This will be our first cruise, so no clue as to whether my husband or I will get seasick. I THINK someone suggested taking Bonine at bedtime a couple of nights before leaving and continue to do so throughout the cruise. Has anyone done this with success?

I easily become car sick so I wasn't sure about how I would feel on Legend (smaller RCI ship). I did not take anything until the last sea day when we had a rough ride back to Tampa. I took the bonine just after breakfast and by lunch I was feeling fine. Because I was interested in enjoying some cocktails during the trip, I did not want to take the bonine unless I needed it. A few years ago we were on Voyager and experienced no problems.

I get seasick just looking at a puddle of water, so seasickness is a real issue for me. :0 I take a 1/2 bonine at night just before bed and it works like a charm. I also get my physician to prescribe scopolamine patches and I hold those in reserve just in case. But scopolamine has a lot more side effects, like blurred vision and dry mouth, than bonine. Still, much better than being seasick.

Have a great cruise. Soon you will be addicted like the rest of us.

Less than two weeks away! This will be our first cruise, so no clue as to whether my husband or I will get seasick. I THINK someone suggested taking Bonine at bedtime a couple of nights before leaving and continue to do so throughout the cruise. Has anyone done this with success?

I take Bonine during every cruise and have never had a problem with sea sickness. October 05 I was on Enchantment OTS when we got caught in Hurricane Wilma. While most of the ship was sick in bed myself, and everyone in my party that was taking their Bonine was fine! Generally I take it the morning that I am going to board and take it each morning when I wake up. I prefer Bonine over other brands (Dramamine) because it does not make me at all drowsy.

we have been on 13 cruises and we have taken bonine each time the 24 hr one have never had any issue's...get a little cotton mouth but no other side effects...we are on the AOS 3-18-07 and i have already picked up 2 boxes of the 16 pack for the wife and i...4.35 at walmart per box...good luck...enjoy your cruise...

I always take Dramamine less drowsy formula (same as bonine) on the first day and if I have even any thinking that I might get seasick I take it every day.I do drink every day on a cruise and find that I am tired due to the dramamine. I have never been seasick (probably because I am paranoid about it and take the meds) but do get an upset stomach in the car sometimes.

I don't think you have to take it until the day of the cruise.:confused:

I believe the tabs are 12.5 and 25 mg. so to say so and so took ONE doesn't tell the whole story. The generic name is meclizine. You can find it that way as well.

I take 12.5 before I board....

then I take 12.5 at night....if I need it I can take the other 12.5 during the day.

Never felt drowsy...

You may feel fine after the first day and not need it at all... but

I believe it's easier to keep the motion sickness away than to medicate once it starts.

The ships are pretty stable. Most people do well.

I have to use the Scop patches everytime. The only side effect I get is dry mouth...but i drink a lot of h2o anyway... no blury vision or sleepiness, so it's worth it to me. I only get sick on cruises...not catamarran, speed boats, sailboats,cars,planes, or trains...it's a little odd. have a great trip!

I do this exactly and have had no problems. Have fun!

I also take a Bonine as well as a ginger pill every morning. I get seasick in the bathtub, so I don't take any chances. If there are any waves and I am feeling funny in the evening-I repeat what I took in the morning. This works for me.

I can relate to being seasick. My son and I started feeling really sick on the Constellation out of NYC. I went to the gift shop and bought "Bonine" we each chewed one and were both up and running in 10 minutes with no side effects like drowsiness.

I highly recommend it but do not agree you have to take it in advance. You can take it when and if you feel queasy. Don't worry about drinking with it either- I felt no drowsiness with alcohol and I drink about four drinks a day on a cruise. Did not have an ill effects.

Just got off a cruise where a woman was very ill. Unfortuneatley they had booked a room at the bow of the ship. Anyway, she has a shot- didn't help, she used the patch- didn't help. Then went to the front desk and took Bonine and was fine in minutes- cured for the rest of the trip.

Bonine= Good

Hello aqhacruiser. We'll be on the Explorer with you on 4/8. Will you be joining us at a meet and mingle or sign up on our roll call? The 'group' we've assembled is quite small so far and would love to add you to our list and meet if you're interested.:)

Back on topic - we take Bonine everyday also and have never had a problem with the pills or any seasickness.

If we don't meet I'll be thinking of you and wishing you a wonderful trip!

Steph.

I take a Bonine a couple of hours before boarding and than another one before we sail. Than one a day during the cruise. It does not make you sleepy and works great. Never had a problem! :)

I take one bonine just before the muster drill and have never gotten sick. It doesn't cause drowsiness as a general rule and I've never experienced any other side effect. There's no issue with alcohol either. They give them out for free at the pursers desk in a little 2 pack - Same thing in generic form.

I get sea sick easily but I've never found a need to overmedicate by starting to take it the night before. The only time I've taken a second pill on a cruise is on my last cruise when we were in Nassau. We were warned that the seas would be very rough on the way back so I took one on the island.

You can get generic meclizine at the counter at Target and or Walmart plus at any pharmacy. You can get 100 pills for just a bit more than a box of 12 or 24 of Bonine.

We start taking it the day before the cruise and continue it until the day we disembark. We have never had a problem even in some of the worst of seas.

after 25 cruises, flights, many amusment park rides & riding in the back seat of a car, Bonine has me enjoying all of them. One an hour before our flight & I am fine til the next morning when I wake on day 2 of the cruiseto pop one in my mouth & enjoy the fruity flavor. I drink martinis & cosmos, not getting plastered but not bad effects either.

I use the generic for my Vertigo that may creep onto me at any time, especially with a sinus attack.

I get sick easily, so I take NO chances. I take 1 less drowsy Dramamine in the AM & one in the PM, and have never even been queasy. Regular Dramamine knocks me out.

I did compare the two - and the active ingredient in the less drowsy is exactly the same as Bonine, as it is w/ the generic brand from WalMart/Target (which is MUCH cheaper).

I'm scared to try ginger, because if it doesn't work I'll lose a day feeling sick.

Archived