Canada Denying Entrance

This is being discussed on the Alaska and Princess boards too. The gist that I have gotten out of it is that now Americans entering Canada are being subjected to the same scrutiny as Canadians entering the US. We have been turned back for a long time if we have a criminal record, especially for drugs. I guess to be on the safe side, if this applies to you, you may want to get that waiver. Western Europe will be doing the same thing as well.

LOL!!!! And then CBC-TV would have done an hour long special on you, and a five part autobiography on CBC-Radio!

Seriously - I read the official wording, and it appears to me that those who are in danger are primarily people with drug offences. So that misdemeanor for a doobie back in 1975 may come back to bite you now ... I suspect this will go the way of a lot of the other regulations. When enough people complain, someone in Ottawa will back down. Better yet - when some major US star or a politician is denied entry, all heck will break loose!

When someone else asked this question the other day, I asked a relative who works for Canada Customs and he pointed out that hockey, basketball, and baseball players with WAY worse records than just a misdemeanor cross the border every day.

Viv

Good thing I finally paid that $5 toll from the 407 outside of Toronto, a local told me they don't bill out of province/country plates (no toll booth, cameras get your plate #. ) But I showed them, I waited till they spent $5 in postage before I paid! :D

If the Ontario economy collapses, its my fault.

The toll highway is run by a private company. I'm not sure, but I believe it is French. I'm sure they are feeling the repercussions of your recklessness in France as we speak. ;)

Viv

Come on up claim refugee status we will pay you give you health care by the time we figure out your claim is bogus (can take us years) you will be back home.

I think we have a few ex marines living in Toronto left Irag claiming refugee status!!

I have no problem with Canada having the same entrance criteria as the US---I just wish the US had the same entrance criteria as Mexico on our southern border-------remember friends to the north---we may lock the front door---but the back door is always open and the porch lite is on

RBOrell---right on the money---great post

Paul in Texas (aka south Ontario from Dec--til April)

:( How sad is all of this, I am one of those terrible Americans, If people from Canada feel this way maybe they should not come to the US. I have family members that were born in Canada and I sure am glad they dont feel this way. I dont think the people on Cruise critic boards make the passport, boarder rules and immigration rules. Why are you attacking each other. We should be bigger than the undersirble people that run our countires and our borders.

The only thing 9/11 has done, is make alot of good people (in all countries) go up aginst each other.

I thought these boards were for people to discuss Cruise information, Cruise means your going on a vacation, Which should mean a good time. RIGHT.

I loved Alaska I went last year had no problem going to Victoria, very nice place to spend the day.

But this year when I go maybe I will just stay on the Ship when I go to Prince Rupert to avoid any problems.

I wont blame anyone its my dicsion.

Happy travels to all.

I'm flying to Texas next week, so lets see if I get across (and back) :D

...Paul in Texas (aka south Ontario from Dec--til April)

Hey! I thought Florida had that designation???

Speaking of which, don't forget about that move to "acquire" Florida,

and make it the 11th province. :p

Details here, (and don't forget to vote)...

http://www.florida11.com/florida11/index.php

Safe travels, and happy crossings!

It may be a perspective on where you live... while I know Canada is a different country I think of it as a northern friend. I live in a border town, so see the effects of stricter crossings. Since Canada is the #1 US trading partner, and Canadians pump so much money into the upstate NY economy, I hate to see stricter guidelines imposed. It is almost as if the US government has no clue about the hundreds of miles of Canadian/US border that can be crossed without seeing a soul.... or the areas with an intercom where you tell "a voice" you are entering or leaving and what you have to declare.

<sigh>

Jezzdog, I see you live in NYS. I know that NYS has a reciprocal agreement with Ontario and Quebec that requires NYS DL holders to pay moving violations and accept points from those provinces just as if you were ticketed and pleaded guilty to a moving violation in NYS. The consequences of not paying those fines would be the same as not paying a NYS moving violation ticket. Maybe these are the unpaid tickets?

It may be a perspective on where you live... while I know Canada is a different country I think of it as a northern friend. I live in a border town, so see the effects of stricter crossings. Since Canada is the #1 US trading partner, and Canadians pump so much money into the upstate NY economy, I hate to see stricter guidelines imposed. It is almost as if the US government has no clue about the hundreds of miles of Canadian/US border that can be crossed without seeing a soul.... or the areas with an intercom where you tell "a voice" you are entering or leaving and what you have to declare.

<sigh>

Jezzdog, I see you live in NYS. I know that NYS has a reciprocal agreement with Ontario and Quebec that requires NYS DL holders to pay moving violations and accept points from those provinces just as if you were ticketed and pleaded guilty to a moving violation in NYS. The consequences of not paying those fines would be the same as not paying a NYS moving violation ticket. Maybe these are the unpaid tickets?

I agree with you, the border towns are going to get smacked. I live 40 minutes from the border and a lot of us (on both sides) have relatives and/or friends on the other other side. We are already seeing it the past few years with fewer Americans driving over. Sure, economics has something to do with it as the American dollar isn't as strong as it was as late as 2002. I really believe there will be no other solution to the passport issue, meaning come summertime 2008, everyone driving into the U.S. will need a passport. This will be the final nail in the coffin....everyday traffic will dwindle and those with family and friends on the other side will have to pay the freight and buy a passport. This is no small deal in Canada as the passport is about $100.00 by the time you are done and is only good for 5 years. Just a darn shame....

:( How sad is all of this, I am one of those terrible Americans, If people from Canada feel this way maybe they should not come to the US. I have family members that were born in Canada and I sure am glad they dont feel this way. I dont think the people on Cruise critic boards make the passport, boarder rules and immigration rules. Why are you attacking each other. We should be bigger than the undersirble people that run our countires and our borders.

The only thing 9/11 has done, is make alot of good people (in all countries) go up aginst each other.

I thought these boards were for people to discuss Cruise information, Cruise means your going on a vacation, Which should mean a good time. RIGHT.

I loved Alaska I went last year had no problem going to Victoria, very nice place to spend the day.

But this year when I go maybe I will just stay on the Ship when I go to Prince Rupert to avoid any problems.

I wont blame anyone its my dicsion.

Happy travels to all.

Lighten up. It looks to me like everyone has been enjoying this thread. I haven't seen any attacks.

No need to stay on the ship unless you've got a conviction or two in your back pocket. :)

I agree with you, the border towns are going to get smacked. I live 40 minutes from the border and a lot of us (on both sides) have relatives and/or friends on the other other side. We are already seeing it the past few years with fewer Americans driving over. Sure, economics has something to do with it as the American dollar isn't as strong as it was as late as 2002. I really believe there will be no other solution to the passport issue, meaning come summertime 2008, everyone driving into the U.S. will need a passport. This will be the final nail in the coffin....everyday traffic will dwindle and those with family and friends on the other side will have to pay the freight and buy a passport. This is no small deal in Canada as the passport is about $100.00 by the time you are done and is only good for 5 years. Just a darn shame....

I'm with you Bob. I live about 20 minutes from the border at Windsor/Detroit. It's funny how premiers, governors and just about every other politician of border provinces/states can see the logic in not requiring passports on the US/Canada border but the folks running the show cannot. Both countries will suffer.

Either way...I love Canada & there is no place like her. I swear, when I'm in the states, I pretty much hold my breath the entire time I'm there, and let out a big sigh of relief when I'm back over the border. Good o'l Canada!:rolleyes:

Then why visit the States if you hate it so much :rolleyes: :confused:

###

Being a worrier by nature, this just gives me one more thing to worry about. I don't have a criminal record or anything like that, but I can just picture being stopped and asked about a parking ticket from 1953 or something. I really feel sorry for people I've read about that are put on the no-fly list because they have a name similar to someone on a list of suspected terrorists.

###

Why do people always say this sort of thing? :confused:

I like Canada, what I know of the country, more than I like the US, but unfortunately it doesn't seem that it will be possible anytime soon for DH and I to move up there. Being a citizen of whatever country is simply a FLUKE of birth (or international adoption), it's not some pre-ordained thing...a fluke led me to be born in the US, but my heart feels it belongs to at least two other countries...alas, it's not simple to legally move!

If Canadian customs/immigration doesn't even want you at one of the ports of calls (if they fell you shouldn't be there) even if you stay on the ship then I guess there will be a whole lot of us not cruising b/c any ship you get on to Alaska is going to be hitting Canada at some point.

I guess now I have to find somewhere else to cruise! ;(

CJ

###

Didn't say I hated it, just describing how uncomfortable I am to be there. Unfortunately to cruise the cruises I want, it means leaving (usually) from the states. And yes I am going on Alaskan cruise, but Alaska isn't like MI or NY lol. :rolleyes:

If Canadian customs/immigration doesn't even want you at one of the ports of calls (if they fell you shouldn't be there) even if you stay on the ship then I guess there will be a whole lot of us not cruising b/c any ship you get on to Alaska is going to be hitting Canada at some point.

I guess now I have to find somewhere else to cruise! ;(

CJ

Exactly how many criminal cruisers is this going to affect? The whole tone of this thread is heading downhill. As others have said, our government is only coming in line with the way your government treats us when we come there. If anyone can explain why Americans travelling to Canada should be treated better than Canadians coming to the States, then I'll understand the "outrage" expressed by posters here.

Didn't say I hated it, just describing how uncomfortable I am to be there. Unfortunately to cruise the cruises I want, it means leaving (usually) from the states. And yes I am going on Alaskan cruise, but Alaska isn't like MI or NY lol. :rolleyes:

What is it that makes you so uncomfortable when you're in the US?

NancyL,

The only flights out for the day of Disembarkation from Vancouver are 7:00 AM or 9:50 AM. I would never make it off the ship in time and get through customs/immigration to get that flight at 9:50 AM. Then I'm really stuck in VAncouver. I just knew something would happen to screw this surprise for DH! I would'nt be able to get a shuttle or something from Canada to Seattle because then I'm on Canada territory, Right? OH THIS JUST SUCKS!

CJ :) :)

Exactly how many criminal cruisers is this going to affect? The whole tone of this thread is heading downhill. As others have said, our government is only coming in line with the way your government treats us when we come there. If anyone can explain why Americans travelling to Canada should be treated better than Canadians coming to the States, then I'll understand the "outrage" expressed by posters here.

First of all, I'm not a criminal but according to Canada I would be! I feel everyone should be treated equally. By the way I have some good friends from Canada so I'm not knocking Canadian people in general. I even have a Canadian lynard I wear on every cruise with my seapass on it that I got from my Canadian friends! ;)

CJ :) :)

It's unfortunate, or fortunate, depending on your point of view :) that so much info is "out there" on databases. Some awfully nice people on both sides of the border might, and I repeat, might get ensnared due to a past indiscretion that happened years and years ago. You would be amazed at how many people might have something on their record, it could only be an arrest and that would be good enough for entry denial at either border.

I will admit there is a difference on how Canada treats those who have a DUI conviction (for Canadians, this is the equivalent of impaired/over the limit). This indiscretion is on Canada's list but not the U.S. list. I find this to be very unfair. Both countries treat it seriously however to possibly deny Americans from crossing the border for a SIMPLE DUI (no accident, noone hurt etc.) is lunacy.

For those in both countries who have a problem, there are remedies. DO NOT use the remedy of a pardon in your own country, it can be expensive and it is meaningless at the border. The only remedy for border crossing with a record is in the other country, both countries' websites lay this out for you.

Archived