Best way to get to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from Newark Airport? Hotels?

14baja

My family and I are sailing on the Crown Princess out of Brooklyn on May 30th, and I'm trying to find the most economical way to get from Newark Airport to the terminal. Also if anyone knows of any hotels they'd recommend near there for post cruise? Thanks!

The most economical way is probably to take the airport bus into manhattan(to the Port Authority Bus Terminal) and take a cab, from the port Authority Bus terminal to the hotel. The closest major hotel is the Brooklyn Marriott. There is also a holiday Inn express(new) on Union Street in Brooklyn...from the hotels use a car service to the Cruise terminal. The Bus is about $15.00 per person and the cab will be about $25.00. You can take a subwy from the Bus terminal for $2.00 per person to the hotel. The A or C train stop practically in the Marriott's lobby at Jay Street Boro Hall(get off at the rear of the station). A cab from the airport to the Marriott is about $70.00. A car service to the hotel may be less in the $50.00 range. I personally like Arecibo. 7188455456 I believe.

We flew in late the night before (from Seattle into Newark), prearranged a towncar from Carmel car service to pick us up and stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott. We got up early in the morning and walked down the promenade to get our first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty and the Crown princess in the distance. We bought City Walk cards and used them as a guide to the neighborhoods. We saw a lot of historical places and beautiful churches in our 3 hour walk before going back to the hotel, checking out, getting a towncar through the doorman and heading over to the ship. It was a wonderful morning and gave us a chance to see the area for the first time.

We flew in late the night before (from Seattle into Newark), prearranged a towncar from Carmel car service to pick us up and stayed at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott. We got up early in the morning and walked down the promenade to get our first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty and the Crown princess in the distance. We bought City Walk cards and used them as a guide to the neighborhoods. We saw a lot of historical places and beautiful churches in our 3 hour walk before going back to the hotel, checking out, getting a towncar through the doorman and heading over to the ship. It was a wonderful morning and gave us a chance to see the area for the first time.

This sounds absolutely great! Hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions. How did you decide on which airport? Are fares better out of Newark? I've been checking, and fares seem to be the same among all three airports (JFK, LGA and Newark). Where do you buy the City Walk cards? How was the Brooklyn Marriot? Thanks, in advance.

My family and I are sailing on the Crown Princess out of Brooklyn on May 30th, and I'm trying to find the most economical way to get from Newark Airport to the terminal. Also if anyone knows of any hotels they'd recommend near there for post cruise? Thanks!

The cruise terminal is about 10 miles from the airport. Take a taxi. It is fast and inexpensive.

The cruise terminal is about 10 miles from the airport. Take a taxi. It is fast and inexpensive.

This is not good advice. If you land at EWR the taxi will be about $80.00 at least. Get a car service from Brooklyn to pick you up either Promenade or Arecibo will do it for about $50.00. The airport is also 16 miles but that isn't that much difference from 10. The closest airport to Brooklyn is LGA which is 11 miles.

here is the info and the rates

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrtaxiframe.html

The prices were better into Newark from Seattle (at that time). The City Walk cards are available at Costco but I got mine from amazon.com. They are great. We are going to Washington DC for the first time this summer and bought them for that city too. I can't say enough about how it improved our New York experience - even just for the one morning in Brooklyn it was more then worth the $14 for the cards.

The Brooklyn Marriott staff was great, we got in late and left early so didn't see much of the hotel but our room was clean, beds comfy and staff helpful. I always feel better taking a towncar over a taxi because the price is locked in before we head out.

Are you staying pre or post cruise? This was our first time to NY and it couldn't have been better. I kept a sort-of journal if have any questions.

This was our New York arrival experience (well, I know you didn't ask but In got excited reliving the vacation!!):

The flight was smooth and though we had to circle the airport for a while because of heavy air traffic in Newark, NJ we arrived pretty much on time. Called for our driver to pick us up (Carmel Car Service - $70 with tip and toll for the tunnel) and off we went. Got checked into our hotel, the Brooklyn Bridget Marriott, and settled in for a good nights sleep.

July 2

It’s a beautiful 70 degree morning (6:30). We went out to explore the neighborhood at 8:00 a.m. Using our New York map cards we walked down Montague Street to the Promenade. We took some great pictures of the NY Supreme Court and statues of Henry Ward Beecher before walking down the brownstone lined streets to see the Statue of Liberty! From the Promenade you can see the Manhattan Skyline, Staten Island and the Brooklyn Bridge – and the Crown Princess! We met a woman from Manhattan who asked us for directions to the Promenade. We visited with her for about ten minutes. We went into the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn, established in 1692. The church windows were designed by Tiffany. We had worked up an appetite by then and stopped at Bagel Delight for bagels. Yum. Back to the hotel to download the pictures and get ready to leave for the ship.

The doorman called for a towncar for us ($15) to take to the pier. When we rounded the corner and see the ship for the first time…it’s unbelievably huge. We had no line at 11:00 and were on board by 12:15. The sitting area is cold from the air-conditioning and we could have used a light jacket in there. We went to our starboard side cabin and the Statue of Liberty is right outside our window!.

The prices were better into Newark from Seattle (at that time). The City Walk cards are available at Costco but I got mine from amazon.com. They are great. We are going to Washington DC for the first time this summer and bought them for that city too. I can't say enough about how it improved our New York experience - even just for the one morning in Brooklyn it was more then worth the $14 for the cards.

The Brooklyn Marriott staff was great, we got in late and left early so didn't see much of the hotel but our room was clean, beds comfy and staff helpful. I always feel better taking a towncar over a taxi because the price is locked in before we head out.

Are you staying pre or post cruise? This was our first time to NY and it couldn't have been better. I kept a sort-of journal if have any questions.

I guess that that does need to be the final deciding factor being the cost of the flight from whichever airport ends up being the cheapest. By the time you add up flight costs, transportation costs, hotel rooms :eek: a pre-cruise stay in New York is getting pretty pricey. But we don't want to risk flying in the same day and then something happening whereas our flight is delayed, cancelled, or whatever. I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law. Plus we want the extra time to see the city.

This is the first time I have heard of the city walk cards. Exactly what are they? Are they like a self-guided tour guide?

Glad to hear your comments on the Brooklyn Marriot. We've stayed in lots of different hotels over the years, average, luxury and some dives, too. I'm happy if, like you said, the room is clean, bed is comfy and staff is helpful. I keep reading about the town cars vs. taxis and the town cars seem to be favored, I would suppose for good reason. So that is probably what we will do. I assume you schedule these in advance like a reservation?

We will stay pre-cruise only and will probably only be able to fly in the day before (which would be Friday in this case). This, too, is our first time in New York so we are trying to make the most out of a short period of time there. DC is also one of our goals to visit over the next few years. We both have been there before as children and we would like to go now that we are older :( and would appreciate DC more than when we were kids. When we go to the "city", for us that is Atlanta. We are comfortable there, know our way around, know where to stay and what to see and do and we go there quite frequently. About 1 1/2 hours drive from where we live. Big city, but nothing compared to NYC so we are a little intimidated and its not like we will have all the time in the world to do what we want to do. I truly appreciate any and all advice.

This was our New York arrival experience (well, I know you didn't ask but In got excited reliving the vacation!!):

The flight was smooth and though we had to circle the airport for a while because of heavy air traffic in Newark, NJ we arrived pretty much on time. Called for our driver to pick us up (Carmel Car Service - $70 with tip and toll for the tunnel) and off we went. Got checked into our hotel, the Brooklyn Bridget Marriott, and settled in for a good nights sleep.

July 2

It’s a beautiful 70 degree morning (6:30). We went out to explore the neighborhood at 8:00 a.m. Using our New York map cards we walked down Montague Street to the Promenade. We took some great pictures of the NY Supreme Court and statues of Henry Ward Beecher before walking down the brownstone lined streets to see the Statue of Liberty! From the Promenade you can see the Manhattan Skyline, Staten Island and the Brooklyn Bridge – and the Crown Princess! We met a woman from Manhattan who asked us for directions to the Promenade. We visited with her for about ten minutes. We went into the First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn, established in 1692. The church windows were designed by Tiffany. We had worked up an appetite by then and stopped at Bagel Delight for bagels. Yum. Back to the hotel to download the pictures and get ready to leave for the ship.

The doorman called for a towncar for us ($15) to take to the pier. When we rounded the corner and see the ship for the first time…it’s unbelievably huge. We had no line at 11:00 and were on board by 12:15. The sitting area is cold from the air-conditioning and we could have used a light jacket in there. We went to our starboard side cabin and the Statue of Liberty is right outside our window!.

Henry Ward Beecher is Harriet Beecher Stowe's brother. Of the two Beecher kids Lincoln was known to say "those damn Beecher kids started the civil war". Henry was a well known abolitionist preacher(and philanderer) at the Plymouth Church on Cranberry Street in Brooklyn heights. The Church still stands. Its now the Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims(as a result of a merger- which brought a piece of Plymouth rock to the Church)... services on Sunday are at 11 and all are welcome. they sometimes have a tour of the church thereafter, of note besides the windows(Tiffany) and the piece of the Plymouth rock is the Lincoln pew where Lincoln sat before going to Manhattan to give his famous speech at Copper Union before he was President. The pew is marked with a plaque and is on the left of center Isle when looking towards the front. ... You might even see me...my wife is the member I go along since I need all the religion I can get :)

The City Walk cards are cards, they are about 3 1/2 inches by 5 inches. The go in order of neighborhood...let's see...so like for Time Square say they start you at 42nd and Broadway, tells you about what is there, what happened there...then the next card walks you a few blocks from there with what's on the way and the same info. They are on a heavy cardstock so are sturdy. We would take the cards out for the places we wanted to visit that day and put them in our camera bag (or husbands pocket). There is a map on one side and the description on the other. I think if you look at Amazon's website for them you can click on an example. Some of the larger book store chains may carry them. We were nervous visiting NYC and Brooklyn but did a lot of research on line, kind of made an itinerary but were flexible, were open to explore but not naive and we had a great time. To me Brooklyn was like a movie set - the stoops, the narrow streets....I don't know, it was just great to me.

We've never been to DC we are taking our youngest who graduates from high school this spring. We've always wanted to go and see the museums, etc. We will be there the week of Jul 4th, which will probably be hot and crowded but we'll make the most of it.

July 2

Nothing wrong with reliving a great experience! Now I am really excited! Just from your comments it is obvious you had a great time and I can sense your excitement in your words and tone :) I assume you made your reservation in advance with Carmel Car Service. How long did it take for your driver to get to the airport to pick you up? Where did you meet the driver at - outside of baggage claim? That seems to have gone well for you and $70 is a lot cheaper than the Princess transfers which are $80-90/person (can't remember exactly how much we were quoted but I know it was in that range). Your description of your walk to the Promenade gives me goosebumps! I can't wait! We have cabin B335, which I'm pretty sure is starboard. The Statue of Liberty right outside your window, WOW, what a view that would be! You were able to board quite early - that's nice. Was your cabin ready when you boarded? How about lunch, was the ship ready for passengers to start eating lunch for those that boarded that early? How about your luggage? Did you have a lot? There will be just the two of us but we will probably have 3 - 4 bags. I am not one who can pack lightly :o. I guess that the car services and towncars are used to dealing with passengers and luggage with no problems? How long did it take for your luggage to get to your cabin? I can't wait until we are on board, unpacked and ready to set sail! You are a wealth of information - thank you so much!

The City Walk cards are cards, they are about 3 1/2 inches by 5 inches. The go in order of neighborhood...let's see...so like for Time Square say they start you at 42nd and Broadway, tells you about what is there, what happened there...then the next card walks you a few blocks from there with what's on the way and the same info. They are on a heavy cardstock so are sturdy. We would take the cards out for the places we wanted to visit that day and put them in our camera bag (or husbands pocket). There is a map on one side and the description on the other. I think if you look at Amazon's website for them you can click on an example. Some of the larger book store chains may carry them. We were nervous visiting NYC and Brooklyn but did a lot of research on line, kind of made an itinerary but were flexible, were open to explore but not naive and we had a great time. To me Brooklyn was like a movie set - the stoops, the narrow streets....I don't know, it was just great to me.

We've never been to DC we are taking our youngest who graduates from high school this spring. We've always wanted to go and see the museums, etc. We will be there the week of Jul 4th, which will probably be hot and crowded but we'll make the most of it.

Wow, lots of good info coming in - I can't keep up :D These city walk cards sound awesome - simple but awesome. You know, as often as we go to Atlanta, I am going to check and see if they are available for there, too. We were and are nervous about visiting NYC - so big! One of the pictures that I found so impressive and shows the "HUGENESS" of it all (probably not a real word, but works for me) is on the website for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. That picture, IMO, says it all. The city coming right up to the waterfront, the skyscrapers, so much city. We have never been to a place as big as NYC. And yes, I do understand what you mean. I always find it amazing to be somewhere or see something that is so very different from what we are used to, especially when it is so native to the area and so historically significant. Yes, I can see why you had a great time.

The cheapest and probably fastest way to get from Newark to Brookyn (i.e.Brooklyn Marriot). Is to take the NJ Transit train (North Jersey Coast or Northeast Corridor) to NY'S Penn Station (about a 15-20 minute ride) (take the Monorail to the Newark Airport Station) and then take the subway (A and/or C I think).

All preiviusly posted suggestions are good however you need to think about how much luggage you will have. Even though the cab is the most expensive it amy be the most convenient in that you just have to handle your luggage once...

With regard to Airports: Newark is dominated by Continental Airlines but their fares are pretty competitive ... and has very easy access to Manhattan and Brooklyn. You might find cheaper air (via Jet Blue/ Southwest etc...) but you would have to go to JFK, LGA or Stewart in Long Island...

For me I would come a day earlier, take a cab from the airport book a room at the Brooklyn Marriott. The less times I have to handle luggage the better.

The link for NJ Transit is NJTRANSIT.com...

I took a quick look...the one way Adult Saturday fare is 14.00 to NY Pennsylvania Station....

Take a car service they will meet you, know how to get where you are going and be a fixed rate. Again Carmel, Premonade, Arecibo are suggested. You can always take a cab. You don't want to go to Islip. Its two hours from NYC and a $100.00. Yes you can take the LIRR but it doesn't run that often.... Stewart is in Westchester/Rockland or Orange county...not on Long Island. http://www.swfny.com/gettingto.html

I also don't think the $5.00 or $10.00 Air Train cost is included in the NJ Transit fare to Manhattan. So for 2 is $38- $48.00 to get in to Manhattan by train with at least one transfer as compare with the bus which is no transfer and $30.00...I still suggest a car service. Nicer than a cab too

This is not good advice. If you land at EWR the taxi will be about $80.00 at least. Get a car service from Brooklyn to pick you up either Promenade or Arecibo will do it for about $50.00. The airport is also 16 miles but that isn't that much difference from 10. The closest airport to Brooklyn is LGA which is 11 miles.

here is the info and the rates

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/ewrtaxiframe.html

You are correct. I was thinking of Bayonne, not Brooklyn. I should know better since I am a former New Yorker.

We did make arrangements with the car service before we left. Once we had our luggage we called the number provided and waited just outside for the car. It does take a while because the cars are not allowed to just wait so the driver has to get in line with everyone else. You'll tell him what you are wearing so you can find each other. It probably took 10 minutes or so but there was a lot of action to keep us occupied and lots of accents to listen to. Fun.

Here is the rest of the first day:

"We had lunch in the Horizon Court then went downstairs to reserve dinner at the Crown Grill for Thursday night at 7:00 (dining reservations weren’t answering their phones yet at that point so we went straight to the restaurant to make our reservations). We explored a bit then went back to our room for a little rest where we met our cabin steward, Adel. Danny’s bed is a bunk that folds down from the ceiling. Following the muster drill (and after we unpacked – and steam ironed our clothes) we met with our cruisecritic friends.

What a crazy day it ended up being. There is much speculation about the true reasons for the delay but the story is that we get bad oil for the ship and they had to pump it out, then the second barge couldn’t arrive until 10:00 (we were supposed to leave at 5:00). For us it was a good thing, we were able to watch a terrific lightening storm circle Manhattan and watched the sun set and the lights of the city come on. We had dinner at the Horizon Court – cold seafood buffet – lobster claws, king crab, shrimp, lobster pastries, crab ravioli….it was WONDERFUL. "

Luggage must have been in our room by 4:00 since we unpacked right after the muster drill.

smeyer - does the church your speaking about have statues of Lincoln and Ward outside? We saw so many churches but that one stands out.

Beyond the cruise, which was marvelous - the visit to New York was the trip of a lifetime (so far!) for us. I was emotional a lot of the time, overwhelmed with the history of everything.

Geez, wish everyone could come over and look at the photo album and listen to me gush about the trip - with every detail of every moment of every day!

We did make arrangements with the car service before we left. Once we had our luggage we called the number provided and waited just outside for the car. It does take a while because the cars are not allowed to just wait so the driver has to get in line with everyone else. You'll tell him what you are wearing so you can find each other. It probably took 10 minutes or so but there was a lot of action to keep us occupied and lots of accents to listen to. Fun.

"We had lunch in the Horizon Court then went downstairs to reserve dinner at the Crown Grill for Thursday night at 7:00 (dining reservations weren’t answering their phones yet at that point so we went straight to the restaurant to make our reservations). We explored a bit then went back to our room for a little rest where we met our cabin steward, Adel. Danny’s bed is a bunk that folds down from the ceiling. Following the muster drill (and after we unpacked – and steam ironed our clothes) we met with our cruisecritic friends.

What a crazy day it ended up being. There is much speculation about the true reasons for the delay but the story is that we get bad oil for the ship and they had to pump it out, then the second barge couldn’t arrive until 10:00 (we were supposed to leave at 5:00). For us it was a good thing, we were able to watch a terrific lightening storm circle Manhattan and watched the sun set and the lights of the city come on. We had dinner at the Horizon Court – cold seafood buffet – lobster claws, king crab, shrimp, lobster pastries, crab ravioli….it was WONDERFUL. "

Luggage must have been in our room by 4:00 since we unpacked right after the muster drill.

smeyer - does the church your speaking about have statues of Lincoln and Ward outside? We saw so many churches but that one stands out.

Beyond the cruise, which was marvelous - the visit to New York was the trip of a lifetime (so far!) for us. I was emotional a lot of the time, overwhelmed with the history of everything.

Geez, wish everyone could come over and look at the photo album and listen to me gush about the trip - with every detail of every moment of every day!

Not a statute of Lincoln although there is a bas relief just Henry Ward Beecher with an outstretched hand...

http://www.brooklynpubliclibrary.org/civilwar/cwdoc105.html I believe that the sculptor is the same one as Mt. Rushmore.

The car service looks to be very manageable. In fact, I have already located their website and got their phone number. I have read other threads that complement Carmel on their service and rates, so this will probably be the way we go once we have our flight reserved. Your bags got to your cabin early, considering how many passengers are on this ship. That is great. One of the best feelings, to me, is to be all unpacked and ready to relax and enjoy the cruise. Sounds like you had quite a show while waiting to set sail. And that is the wonderful seafood buffet everyone talks about! Can't wait!

You know, history can be overwhelming, especially in an area where the history dates so far back. When we were in Cozumel/Playa del Carmen and went to the Mayan Ruins, I was positively struck by the history, culture and power that surrounds you once you step onto the Mayan grounds. The little hairs on my arms raised, like static electricity, once we entered the ruins. We both love history, which is one of the reasons we wanted to take this cruise, to tour a part of our country that is so full of history and see the sights that you normally only get to read and hear about in history books and on TV.

What cabin did you have? How was it? Yes, I'd be thrilled to see your photos and hear about your trip, even if we were not going ourselves! You are doing a great job telling it!

We were in cabin A427. I was worried that it was too close to the elevators but we didn't hear a thing in our room.

I know this isn't appropriate for this particular area on the boards - but which ports will you be visiting in May? We missed Grand Turk but were in San Juan, St Thomas and Bermuda. We had a great time at all three ports.

Smeyer - I think that is the building we saw (thanks for the link), is it surrounded by a wrought iron fence? I think I have a picture of it. I always appreciated your guidance/advice for our trip.

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply on this thread. The information was very helpful and answered all of our questions. We will definitely fly into LGA a day early and stay the night at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott (cruising from the port of New York on 10/14/07 NCL DAWN). The information on car service pick up from the airport was also very helpful. We would have taken a taxi to the hotel.

Ron and Terry

Visalia, CA

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply on this thread. The information was very helpful and answered all of our questions. We will definitely fly into LGA a day early and stay the night at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott (cruising from the port of New York on 10/14/07 NCL DAWN). The information on car service pick up from the airport was also very helpful. We would have taken a taxi to the hotel.

Ron and Terry

Visalia, CA

You will be 20 minutes from the Manhattan Cruise terminal...not a bad ride.

Archived