Best way to get to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from Newark Airport? Hotels?

14baja

Good Grief!!!:eek:

After reading all the posts maybe I will just book something sailing out of Miami! I HATE traffic, congestion, etc. and I am not comfortable hauling luggage on mass transit.. I would want to hire a car or take a taxi.

But, what about purchasing transfers through the cruise line?

Hey, can't let a little traffic and congestion get you down :D Look what you would miss out on! Anyway, those are our thoughts on that. I'm glad, though, that we have plenty of time to get the logistics of this trip all figured out before we hit the big city. And the way I pack? There is no way we want to haul all that luggage around town so the car service seems to be the best way to go, for us, at least. If and when we tackle mass transit, it will be AFTER our bags are nestled snugly in the hotel room :)

BTW, we did purchase transfers from Princess thru our TA at that time we booked our cruise, but they are good only from one of the three airports (JFK, LGA and Newark) to the ship and, of course, we have to give our flight info to Princess as soon as we have it. SOOOOOO, I guess that we will cancel them as it looks like we will be flying in the day before and staying at a hotel and the transfers are then useless. That was a mistake on my part, booked the transfers before really thinking all of this out. The way things are looking, there is no way we will chance it flying in the day of our cruise. Way too many things that can go wrong, plus we really want to see at least a little of NYC.

Good Grief!!!:eek:

After reading all the posts maybe I will just book something sailing out of Miami! I HATE traffic, congestion, etc. and I am not comfortable hauling luggage on mass transit.. I would want to hire a car or take a taxi.

But, what about purchasing transfers through the cruise line?

Yes but that means you have to fly through Miami airport which I personally hate, and all the NY'ers who used to live up here have moved to Florida and the traffic is just as bad but they can't see over the steering wheel....

Yes but that means you have to fly through Miami airport which I personally hate, and all the NY'ers who used to live up here have moved to Florida and the traffic is just as bad but they can't see over the steering wheel....

I have never been to NY (DH has on business) so I haven't experienced the air ports there. I would like to see the Statue of Liberty, though, so that may sway me.

I totally agree with you about the Miami airport. It is just awful.:eek: I hate to even use the restroom! However, I didn't think the traffic was that bad in Miami, but we took taxis so I guess I just didn't notice.

Judi

I promise (!) that with the towncar services the traffic was not an issue - because we weren't nervously watching a meter tick-tick-tick - we got to sit back and really look around and see things.

One of the many things I enjoy about cruising is that the cruise is pre-paid. I make little envelopes for what I know my other expenses will be. Attached to the printout for my towncar is the cash for the car. Attached to my hotel confirmation are tips for the doorman and the towncar fee......so I get to really sit back and relax. If the driver gets lost and stops at a hotel to ask directions (which I've had a cab driver do in Fort Lauderdale) - it's no more money to me.

I agree that the op is probably wondering what the heck happened to this thread but it has been fun and friendly.

Re: Miami. My first cruise (in 19 - gulp - 81) was out of Miami. Now, we were only 19 y/o girls but getting around in Miami was crazy. I don't know how many times we got stuck on oneway streets. I am sure it's different now - and my husband drives so it's really not an issue for ME! - but I remember we thought we had entered the twilight zone.

I have never been to NY (DH has on business) so I haven't experienced the air ports there. I would like to see the Statue of Liberty, though, so that may sway me.

I totally agree with you about the Miami airport. It is just awful.:eek: I hate to even use the restroom! However, I didn't think the traffic was that bad in Miami, but we took taxis so I guess I just didn't notice.

Judi

The first time we went through the Miami airport was approximately 3 months after 9/11, security everywhere, TSA people uptight and nervous, crowds and crowds of people, hardly anyone spoke English (at least the ones that were directing people and the ones that SHOULD have spoke English didn't). Wow, what a mess that was. Have to agree with you about the traffic, though. We had a rental car and really did not have a problem getting around. Went to Ft. Lauderdale to pick up DH's son, who was joining us and that is the airport he flew into, went to South Beach, Miami Aquarium, all without much trouble. Somehow, I don't think NY will be as easy :eek: . But, since we won't be driving this time, I think we will do alright. Plus, this is such a different itinerary, we really don't have a choice since we really want to go on this cruise. What's the worst that can happen? If we get lost, we'll hail a cab, spend a fortune in taxi fares, but I'm sure we will see some sights and have a lot to talk about on the return home :D

I promise (!) that with the towncar services the traffic was not an issue - because we weren't nervously watching a meter tick-tick-tick - we got to sit back and really look around and see things.

One of the many things I enjoy about cruising is that the cruise is pre-paid. I make little envelopes for what I know my other expenses will be. Attached to the printout for my towncar is the cash for the car. Attached to my hotel confirmation are tips for the doorman and the towncar fee......so I get to really sit back and relax. If the driver gets lost and stops at a hotel to ask directions (which I've had a cab driver do in Fort Lauderdale) - it's no more money to me.

I agree that the op is probably wondering what the heck happened to this thread but it has been fun and friendly.

Re: Miami. My first cruise (in 19 - gulp - 81) was out of Miami. Now, we were only 19 y/o girls but getting around in Miami was crazy. I don't know how many times we got stuck on oneway streets. I am sure it's different now - and my husband drives so it's really not an issue for ME! - but I remember we thought we had entered the twilight zone.

Hadn't thought about that aspect of the towncar service. Interesting. Your envelopes - what a wonderful idea! I got to tell you that everytime you post, I learn something. You are a wealth of info! So is everyone else, too, but your postings have really enlightened me.

Thank you. I get pretty carried away with vacations. We did the camping thing with our boys for years and years and years....now, it was fun in it's own way but I think most moms would agree that camping is no vacation! Now that we're cruising.....I really get into it. Vacation is so short I spend months planning - making the planning part of the trip. It's really quite sickening but heck - it makes my 'real' life more fun. One thing I wish we'd done when the boys were both at home but did do last year for husband, youngest son and myself was to put the names of each port of call in a hat and we each drew a port to plan. Had to plan the whole day - where we'd go, what we'd do, what to eat, how to get there and back. I was too controlling to let them figure out New York though!

I love cruisecritic. Even if we're doing a land vacation I read what everyone says about the city we're going to.

hEY dIXIE ...Good to hear that Princess does offer transfer (w/o cruise air)..I think thats a plus...you should be able to use the transfer on the return though,,,

IMHO you haven't experienced NYC unless youve been in a NYC traffic jam....

Thank you. I get pretty carried away with vacations. We did the camping thing with our boys for years and years and years....now, it was fun in it's own way but I think most moms would agree that camping is no vacation! Now that we're cruising.....I really get into it. Vacation is so short I spend months planning - making the planning part of the trip. It's really quite sickening but heck - it makes my 'real' life more fun. One thing I wish we'd done when the boys were both at home but did do last year for husband, youngest son and myself was to put the names of each port of call in a hat and we each drew a port to plan. Had to plan the whole day - where we'd go, what we'd do, what to eat, how to get there and back. I was too controlling to let them figure out New York though!

I love cruisecritic. Even if we're doing a land vacation I read what everyone says about the city we're going to.

I'd have to say that planning is a major part of the fun and the vacation experience. Helps build up the anticipation. Of course, DH says that I will be worn out by the time our cruise gets here, but the planning gives me a lot of fun and satisfaction, too. I like to hear him say when we get back how smooth it all went :D When we went to Alaska, I spent hours and hours researching the ports, the excursions and that way we were able to make better decisions when we actually got there and we thoroughly enjoyed each and every port and each and every shore excursion. If you don't do some thorough prior planning, there might be something really nice or really important that you should see or do and you don't want to have to kick yourself in the behind later and say, "oh I wish we had ......... " You know what I mean? Vacations are too precious, too important and, let's face it, they cost money and I, for one, don't want to let too much to chance and waste the short time that we are at our destination. Type A personality, I guess; we don't get the opportunity to just take off on the spur of the moment and see what comes along to do when we get there. Maybe someday, just not now.

hEY dIXIE ...Good to hear that Princess does offer transfer (w/o cruise air)..I think thats a plus...you should be able to use the transfer on the return though,,,

IMHO you haven't experienced NYC unless youve been in a NYC traffic jam....

You are right. I thought about that after I posted. Yes, we can use our return transfer. Was told not to schedule return flight before 1:00 pm (typical of most cruiselines, right?)

And, as long as we are not the cause of the traffic jam, we should be okay :D

I'd have to say that planning is a major part of the fun and the vacation experience. Helps build up the anticipation. When we went to Alaska, I spent hours and hours researching the ports, the excursions and that way we were able to make better decisions . If you don't do some thorough prior planning, there might be something really nice or really important that you should see or do and you don't want to have to kick yourself in the behind later and say, "oh I wish we had ......... "

Dixielee

This sounds just like me! Otherwise why would I be on these boards researching which cruise to book for 14 months in the future!:D I try to eliminate the risk of having a bad day by doing my research!

I think the NY info has been great. I appreciate hearing from people who actually have been there or live there- they can tell you the short cuts and ins and outs. Cruise Critic is a great resource- everyone has been so helpful on this thread.

[ Was told not to schedule return flight before 1:00 pm (typical of most cruiselines, right?)

Yes typical...Im not sure of how well they are running disembarkation in brooklyn (disembarkation at the NYC passenger terminal is a but if you in by 8:00 you should be off by 10:00 AM I believe...

However there was the one time it took us 5 hours to get off a ship. I know a lot of people missed there flights...

I would say like 2PM or later is real safe...but again it goed back to what to what airport. EWR would be ok, probably LGA, JFK a little farther out so a later flight might be better...

Dixielee

This sounds just like me! Otherwise why would I be on these boards researching which cruise to book for 14 months in the future!:D I try to eliminate the risk of having a bad day by doing my research!

I think the NY info has been great. I appreciate hearing from people who actually have been there or live there- they can tell you the short cuts and ins and outs. Cruise Critic is a great resource- everyone has been so helpful on this thread.

The NY info has been great, Judi. It is ironic that such a simple question posted by the OP turned this thread into a wealth of information.

[ Was told not to schedule return flight before 1:00 pm (typical of most cruiselines, right?)

Yes typical...Im not sure of how well they are running disembarkation in brooklyn (disembarkation at the NYC passenger terminal is a but if you in by 8:00 you should be off by 10:00 AM I believe...

However there was the one time it took us 5 hours to get off a ship. I know a lot of people missed there flights...

I would say like 2PM or later is real safe...but again it goed back to what to what airport. EWR would be ok, probably LGA, JFK a little farther out so a later flight might be better...

Great advice! I hadn't thought about that with Brooklyn being a new terminal. No sense in pushing ourselves and stressing out. We had been looking at return flights departing right around 1:00, but there are plenty that day and it wouldn't hurt at all to fly home around 2:30 or even a little bit later. Only a two hour flight to Atlanta, so we would still be home at a reasonable time. Thanks for the advice; always good to get a different perspective from someone in the know.

Just found this thread...thanks for all the info. I'm going to look for the city walk cards for NYC and Boston today. Dixe, I am planning to use the Princess transfer for disembarking. I am thinking we will take JetBlue to JFK. Dixe, did you reserve a towncar for pick up at the airport?? Which did you decide to use?

Jan

Just found this thread...thanks for all the info. I'm going to look for the city walk cards for NYC and Boston today. Dixe, I am planning to use the Princess transfer for disembarking. I am thinking we will take JetBlue to JFK. Dixe, did you reserve a towncar for pick up at the airport?? Which did you decide to use?

Jan

Hi, Jan,

I was going to post today on our roll call about this thread. OP asked a simple question and a ton of info has been coming in :) . The city walk cards sound great and I'm going to check at our local Barnes and Nobles to see if they have them in stock (Xmas gift card to use ;) ) otherwise we will order them. Yes, we will also use our Princess transfer when we disembark, but will cancel our transfer for embarkation since we will fly in at least a day early. After reviewing all of the advice we have received, looks like we will use Carmel Car Service. Haven't reserved yet because we have not made our flight reservations, but that is the service we will use. Lots of good reviews. We got their phone number from their website. Delta is probably who we will use to fly into NYC; not sure of the airport yet. We have flown our last couple of times on Air Tran who offers really great fares, but don't think they service NYC as much as Delta, but that is still all up in the air. Holding out for now to see if we can find reduced fares, BUT that may not come to pass. Looking at approx. $560 total round trip for both of us and we may not find fares much lower than that. Hate to reserve a flight too early and miss a big sale, but don't think there are going to be too many sales this year. Too many people flying.

Archived