Best way to get to Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from Newark Airport? Hotels?

14baja

LGA not a bad choice but keep in mind that this is in a very congested part of NYC...depending on when your flight arrives you might encounter significant traffic delays (both ground and air) ....

LGA not a bad choice but keep in mind that this is in a very congested part of NYC...depending on when your flight arrives you might encounter significant traffic delays (both ground and air) ....

Would you then suggest JFK? I have read in other threads where JFK is recommended over LGA because of the problems you named, especially flight delays at LGA. I would guess that if one flies in the day before their cruise, delays would not be much of an impact, but definetely a consideration if flying in day of sailing. (I'm not the OP, but this subject concerns us too when we sail in October so I hope not to have offended by "butting" in). We have given a lot of thought to flying in day of cruise, but seems to be pretty risky. Your thoughts?

Would you then suggest JFK? I have read in other threads where JFK is recommended over LGA because of the problems you named, especially flight delays at LGA. I would guess that if one flies in the day before their cruise, delays would not be much of an impact, but definetely a consideration if flying in day of sailing. (I'm not the OP, but this subject concerns us too when we sail in October so I hope not to have offended by "butting" in). We have given a lot of thought to flying in day of cruise, but seems to be pretty risky. Your thoughts?

JFK with it long runways and overseas flights is not nearly as crowded as either LGA or EWR. October is not a high delay month unless there is a Hurricaine and it then probably doesn't matter which airport. JFK tends to be delayed the least especially with domestic flights since its much lighter on domestic flights than either LGA or EWR and since they tend to be connecting with international flights they do their best to get them there. That being said I still prefer LGA myself. I tend to make the early morning flights(first flight out) and that normally has the least delays. Later in the day it gets worse. LGA is the only one that really gets screwed up by the slightest bad weather. I have had delays at all the airports its just a matter of luck.

My personal choices would be Newark first, JFK 2nd and LGA 3rd (personally my BKLYN born and bred with tells me to only use LGA out of desperation)

With NWK in general the only ground congestion will be at the tunnels/bridges the connect NJ/Manhattan to BKLYN...at rush hours these can be horrendous but off peak is generally not to bad...

but again you might be able to get a cheaper airfare to JFK...but is the furthest airport and has a limited number of main access roads that can get very congested and Im not sure about alternate (other than cabs or car service) ground transportation...

Yes if you come in a day early you will have the same congestion at LGA but at least you won't have to worry about making your ship...

If this is your first time to NYC .. If it were me, I definitely come a day early in the AM if possible...get a room in downtown Manhattan (Bklyn Marriott(as is Bklyn) is vey nice but you could probably get a comparably priced hotel in downtown/mid town Manhattan) see all that you can see and take a cab or car service to the cruise port the next day...

I hope this helps...

My personal choices would be Newark first, JFK 2nd and LGA 3rd (personally my BKLYN born and bred wife tells me to only use LGA out of desperation)

With NWK in general the only ground congestion will be at the tunnels/bridges the connect NJ/Manhattan to BKLYN...at rush hours these can be horrendous but off peak is generally not to bad...

but again you might be able to get a cheaper airfare to JFK...but is the furthest airport and has a limited number of main access roads that can get very congested and Im not sure about alternate (other than cabs or car service) ground transportation...

Yes if you come in a day early you will have the same congestion at LGA but at least you won't have to worry about making your ship...

If this is your first time to NYC .. If it were me, I definitely come a day early in the AM if possible...get a room in downtown Manhattan (Bklyn Marriott(as is Bklyn) is vey nice but you could probably get a comparably priced hotel in downtown/mid town Manhattan) see all that you can see and take a cab or car service to the cruise port the next day...

I hope this helps...

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply on this thread. The information was very helpful and answered all of our questions. We will definitely fly into LGA a day early and stay the night at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott (cruising from the port of New York on 10/14/07 NCL DAWN). The information on car service pick up from the airport was also very helpful. We would have taken a taxi to the hotel.

Ron and Terry

Visalia, CA

Just curious

If you are cruising out of the West Side Piers (Manhattan), why would you stay in Brooklyn? The Brooklyn Bridge Marriott is very nice, but more suited to pax leaving from the Brooklyn (RedHook). IMHO, you can find a hotel in Manhattan that is at least as nice for the same or less money in Manhattan. I think the Brooklyn Marriott is very overpriced.

My personal choices would be Newark first, JFK 2nd and LGA 3rd (personally my BKLYN born and bred wife tells me to only use LGA out of desperation)

I hope this helps...

Interesting take on the whole situation. Sounds like one will either have congestion or delays at the airport, or if not, will find congestion and/or delays on the roads :D . Well, no matter what airport we finally end up flying into, and at this point, fares will probably be our determining factor, I think we will definetely fly in the day before. That way, no matter what happens in the air or on the road, we won't be pressed to get to the pier that same day; makes everything a little less stressful. Brooklyn Marriot is highly recommended and will probably be our first choice and "momthecruisedirector" has got us sold on the city walk cards, so our time on the ground appears set, it is the getting there to still be worked out. Since we don't sail until October, we do have plenty of time to work out those details. Hey, we appreciate ANY AND ALL advice!

Just curious

If you are cruising out of the West Side Piers (Manhattan), why would you stay in Brooklyn? The Brooklyn Bridge Marriott is very nice, but more suited to pax leaving from the Brooklyn (RedHook). IMHO, you can find a hotel in Manhattan that is at least as nice for the same or less money in Manhattan. I think the Brooklyn Marriott is very overpriced.

We are sailing out of Red Hook on the Crown and had planned on staying in the Brooklyn Marriot. BUT, one of our deciding factors in this will be what we decide to see and do the day before our cruise. We absolutely want to go to the WTC site, so maybe a hotel in Manhattan would be better? How easy (or difficult) is it to get from Manhattan to the pier at Red Hook? We will have to hire a car service or cab it, I would assume. Maybe we should stay in Brooklyn which would allow us to park our luggage and then go over to Manhattan and see some sights there. That is probably the easier route to take? Again, how easy or difficult is it going between the two - Brooklyn to Manhattan and back, since we will have to rely on mass transit. WOW, the more info we get, the more choices and decisions to be made :eek: It sure is helpful getting advice from the experts, though.

Just happened upon this thread!! Great information from everyone, and we thank you! Exactly what should we ask for when looking for these City Cards mentioned above? Never heard of these. I tried Google and came up with Hallmark City Cards? We live in California, so would our Costco have them, and what would I ask for? Help, please!

As a frequent NYC business traveler, I cannot recommend flying into Newark for a cruise departing either Manhattan or Brooklyn (RedHook) unless the plane fare is AT LEAST $150.00 pp cheaper.

I have done it occasionally for business (our office is in the South Bronx-Hunt's Point area). It is more hassle than it is worth. Taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you to Manhattan. And they generally will charge you for both directions, so it gets pretty expensive.

Hotels are cheaper in NJ, but if you want to see anything in NYC, you still have to make the trip across the state line. The PATH train provides good, cheap, reliable transportation, but NOT recommended with luggage or late at night (unless you are very street saavy).

IMHO, if you are cruising from either Manhattan or Brooklyn, fly into either JFK/LGA.

If you are cruising from Bayonne, but have a pre or post cruise stay in NYC, think about the transfers for sightseeing. When you add up all the costs (and hassle), it may be cheaper to fly into JFK/LGA, book a hotel in Manhattan, and when you are ready to board the ship, take Supershuttle to the Newark airport and taxi to the ship. Or just take a taxi to the ship.

Just happened upon this thread!! Great information from everyone, and we thank you! Exactly what should we ask for when looking for these City Cards mentioned above? Never heard of these. I tried Google and came up with Hallmark City Cards? We live in California, so would our Costco have them, and what would I ask for? Help, please!

According to "momthecruisedirector", she got theirs from Amazon. Go to Amazon and search for "city walk cards" and you will find them and then you will see what they are all about. She describes them in one of her previous messages in this thread, too. I also found them at Barnes and Nobles on line, comparable in price, too (around $14). They are self-guided walking tour guides in card format and they sound great. We already have plans to get them for our time in the city pre-cruise.

We are sailing out of Red Hook on the Crown and had planned on staying in the Brooklyn Marriot. BUT, one of our deciding factors in this will be what we decide to see and do the day before our cruise. We absolutely want to go to the WTC site, so maybe a hotel in Manhattan would be better? How easy (or difficult) is it to get from Manhattan to the pier at Red Hook? We will have to hire a car service or cab it, I would assume. Maybe we should stay in Brooklyn which would allow us to park our luggage and then go over to Manhattan and see some sights there. That is probably the easier route to take? Again, how easy or difficult is it going between the two - Brooklyn to Manhattan and back, since we will have to rely on mass transit. WOW, the more info we get, the more choices and decisions to be made :eek: It sure is helpful getting advice from the experts, though.

I agree if you live in NJ the EWR is best but getting into NYC from EWR its just as bad as the BQE. From the Brooklyn Marriott its three subway stops on the A or C to the World Trade Center stop- less than 8 minutes. Getting from Manhattan to Red Hook is no problem(well maybe a little cabbies still don't know where it is) but will be much more expensive than the Brooklyn Marriott. By the way its 16 miles from the Marriott to EWR and 16 miles(by the street no highway) to JFK.

Getting back and froth from Manhattan by either cab or subway(the fastest and least expensive way) is extremely easy from the Marriott. The A and C are within 50 yards of the entrance to the Marriott with the 3,4,5, and 6 within 100 yards. The R and N are also within 200 yards(actually less but I would go west not east)..

BTW its the Crown Princess if you really want to get confused NCL also has a Crown that leaves from Manhhattan.

As a frequent NYC business traveler, I cannot recommend flying into Newark for a cruise departing either Manhattan or Brooklyn (RedHook) unless the plane fare is AT LEAST $150.00 pp cheaper.

I have done it occasionally for business (our office is in the South Bronx-Hunt's Point area). It is more hassle than it is worth. Taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you to Manhattan. And they generally will charge you for both directions, so it gets pretty expensive.

Hotels are cheaper in NJ, but if you want to see anything in NYC, you still have to make the trip across the state line. The PATH train provides good, cheap, reliable transportation, but NOT recommended with luggage or late at night (unless you are very street saavy).

IMHO, if you are cruising from either Manhattan or Brooklyn, fly into either JFK/LGA.

If you are cruising from Bayonne, but have a pre or post cruise stay in NYC, think about the transfers for sightseeing. When you add up all the costs (and hassle), it may be cheaper to fly into JFK/LGA, book a hotel in Manhattan, and when you are ready to board the ship, take Supershuttle to the Newark airport and taxi to the ship. Or just take a taxi to the ship.

Great info, sound advice and points all well taken.

I agree if you live in NJ the EWR is best but getting into NYC from EWR its just as bad as the BQE. From the Brooklyn Marriott its three subway stops on the A or C to the World Trade Center stop- less than 8 minutes. Getting from Manhattan to Red Hook is no problem(well maybe a little cabbies still don't know where it is) but will be much more expensive than the Brooklyn Marriott. By the way its 16 miles from the Marriott to EWR and 16 miles(by the street no highway) to JFK.

Getting back and froth from Manhattan by either cab or subway(the fastest and least expensive way) is extremely easy from the Marriott. The A and C are within 50 yards of the entrance to the Marriott with the 3,4,5, and 6 within 100 yards. The R and N are also within 200 yards(actually less but I would go west not east)..

BTW its the Crown Princess if you really want to get confused NCL also has a Crown that leaves from Manhhattan.

Good info and we truly appreciate it. I won't make that mistake again about the Crown "Princess"; I could not handle any more confusion :D Whew, I wonder if anyone has ever gone to the wrong ship :eek:

Good info and we truly appreciate it. I won't make that mistake again about the Crown "Princess"; I could not handle any more confusion :D Whew, I wonder if anyone has ever gone to the wrong ship :eek:

LOL I am sure. The names are so similar.

"I have done it occasionally for business (our office is in the South Bronx-Hunt's Point area). It is more hassle than it is worth. Taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you to Manhattan. And they generally will charge you for both directions, so it gets pretty expensive."

This quote from above confuses me.

I though the yellow cabs are required to take you any where in NYC even from EWR. I know that NY yellow cabs are NOT required to take you to the Bayonne Cruise Port and can charge what ever they want. TO EWR from NYC the yellow cabs can only charge the meter plus $15.00 plus roundtrip tolls and MUST go. I have petitioned the NY TLC to do the same thing to the Bayonne Cruise port....

Dixie - Thanks to you and EVERYONE offering information on this thread. I guess we've all gone a little overboard on the original question! But, glad I found this thread. I ordered the City Walk cards today from Amazon.

Dixie:

"I agree if you live in NJ the EWR is best but getting into NYC from EWR its just as bad as the BQE"

This is not a true statement. From Newark Airport you can get to downtown BKLYN in 30 or less minutes via car...during non peak hours...In general the roads around NYC airports are consistently congested at any given time. Road congesetion is just a fact of life in NYC. This is not true at EWR... so as I said EWR, then JFK

All of my in laws live in BKLYN and all use NEWARK AIRPORT almost exclusively even if the fares are higher simply because there is less ground traffic congestion. Even though I live in New Jersey I do use JFK. I recommend EWR for your case only because it is easier to get to your location.

If you are going to the BRONX or other Northern parts of NYC EWR wouldn't be my first choice..but for BKLYN especially downtown its somewhat a no brainer IMHO ..

Dixie: You will find the lowest airfares are to LGA and they are this way for a reason as most people that live in the area really avoid the airport...If you really want to be adventurous and save a lot of money in airfare you might want to check Spirit Airlines to Atlantic City...but then you have to get from AC to NY but you could save a lot of money. Another option is Southwest Airlines to McArthur airport...very cheap but a long drive to NYC...

Anyway I would still suggest getting a downtown Manhattan hotel...WTC, Seaport. Wall Street would all be within walking distance..any downtown hote would be a short distance from the Cruise port...of course there is that NYC traffic of course..

Whatever, you decide I know that you will enjoy NYC and your cruise..anymore questions just post them here...

Dixie:

"I agree if you live in NJ the EWR is best but getting into NYC from EWR its just as bad as the BQE"

This is not a true statement. From Newark Airport you can get to downtown BKLYN in 30 or less minutes via car...during non peak hours.....

You don't agree that if you live in NJ EWR is best? The Tunnels can and do get backed up during non-rush hours especially on weekends. But reasonable people can disagree. Since during the week, the rush hours are clearly getting longer driving in the NY area can be difficult at anytime from any of the airports.

LOL I am sure. The names are so similar.

"I have done it occasionally for business (our office is in the South Bronx-Hunt's Point area). It is more hassle than it is worth. Taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you to Manhattan. And they generally will charge you for both directions, so it gets pretty expensive."

This quote from above confuses me.

I though the yellow cabs are required to take you any where in NYC even from EWR. I know that NY yellow cabs are NOT required to take you to the Bayonne Cruise Port and can charge what ever they want. TO EWR from NYC the yellow cabs can only charge the meter plus $15.00 plus roundtrip tolls and MUST go. I have petitioned the NY TLC to do the same thing to the Bayonne Cruise port....

NJ licensed cabs DO NOT have to take you into NYC from EWR. Most will, but as I posted, they usually charge double. NJ cabs are NOT allowed (by law) to pick up passengers IN NYC unless they have a totally reciprocal taxi license which is expensive and hard to get. Most do not bother. They just charge double. The new NYC Yellow cab medalions were sold for an average of $450,000.00 (these were the hybrd/alt fuel medalions).

It's hard to tell the NYC yellow cabs from the EWR/NJ yellow cabs, but they are not the same company nor do they operate under the same STATE rules. They are all supposed to follow the Port Authority rules, but the NJ cabs are allowed to go all over the state of NJ, while the NYC yellow cabs are generally restricted to EWR.

I just noticed there is a website listed on the box - chroniclebooks.com

I agree with the above that there is just so much to do - we stayed four nights post cruise and just scratched the surface.

We stayed at the Casablanca Hotel after a lot of research. It's on 7th and 43rd (if I remember correctly) - just steps from Times Square, literally. It was pricey but a wonderful boutique hotel that offered continental breakfast, evening wine and cheese reception (weekdays), all day fruit and coffees. Of course if you stay in Manhattan - it's another $70 to Brooklyn by towncar. Heck....just take another week off work and make a real trip of it!!!

NJ licensed cabs DO NOT have to take you into NYC from EWR. Most will, but as I posted, they usually charge double. NJ cabs are NOT allowed (by law) to pick up passengers IN NYC unless they have a totally reciprocal taxi license which is expensive and hard to get. Most do not bother. They just charge double. The new NYC Yellow cab medalions were sold for an average of $450,000.00 (these were the hybrd/alt fuel medalions).

It's hard to tell the NYC yellow cabs from the EWR/NJ yellow cabs, but they are not the same company nor do they operate under the same STATE rules. They are all supposed to follow the Port Authority rules, but the NJ cabs are allowed to go all over the state of NJ, while the NYC yellow cabs are generally restricted to EWR.

yes I am aware that NYC cabs can't pick up at EWR and Newark/elizabeth cabs can't pick up in NYC that isn't what I said. Both the Newark and Elizabeth cab rules requires NJ cabs to take you into NYC for the posted fixed rate or lose their license. Next time you are overcharged get a receipt and make a complaintsay you need the receipt to get reimbursed by your employer). NY yellow cabs are likewise required to take you to EWR for the meter plus $15.00 plus roundtrip tolls. If they refuse make a complaint again they will lose their license for this for a number of days depending on whether they did it before. The medaillion does cost a lot its the right to pick up hales from the street without pre-arrangement. The requirement that they take all comers is part of the license which they will lose if they don't do it. Both NYC and NJ black cars- limos will happily pick you up at Newark and take you to Brooklyn Manhattan the Bronx where ever for a fixed prenegotiated fee. Its why I prefer taking a limo from the airport- less hassle they treat you better and don't complain. I have been picked up in EWR by Arecibo. Promenadee. Carmel and many others.

You don't agree that if you live in NJ EWR is best? The Tunnels can and do get backed up during non-rush hours especially on weekends. But reasonable people can disagree. Since during the week, the rush hours are clearly getting longer driving in the NY area can be difficult at anytime from any of the airports.

This has nothing to do with the post but if I lived i Essex or Union County, Hudson Countieds I might say yes to EWR...I go to EWR, JFK, PHI and Atlantic city airport because they are all easier to get in an out of.

Newark has an addtional advantage because close not only to the Holland Tunnel, but also the Licoln Tunnel and also the SI bridges..so it is very easy to get to Downtown BKLYN from EWR

Furthermorel take a tunnel delay anytime of the day even in rush hour...off peak tunnel delays are rarely more than 15-20 minutes...

The poster asked my thoughts on the airports and that is what I gave

Good Grief!!!:eek:

After reading all the posts maybe I will just book something sailing out of Miami! I HATE traffic, congestion, etc. and I am not comfortable hauling luggage on mass transit.. I would want to hire a car or take a taxi.

But, what about purchasing transfers through the cruise line?

I just noticed there is a website listed on the box - chroniclebooks.com

I agree with the above that there is just so much to do - we stayed four nights post cruise and just scratched the surface.

We stayed at the Casablanca Hotel after a lot of research. It's on 7th and 43rd (if I remember correctly) - just steps from Times Square, literally. It was pricey but a wonderful boutique hotel that offered continental breakfast, evening wine and cheese reception (weekdays), all day fruit and coffees. Of course if you stay in Manhattan - it's another $70 to Brooklyn by towncar. Heck....just take another week off work and make a real trip of it!!!

Another week off work? Now we're talking!:D

All postings, opinions, suggestions, advice, tips, ideas, etc. are greatly appreciated!!!!! I think that this has turned into a pretty lively thread and enjoy turning on the computer each morning and checking to see what new info is there. We have gained a lot of knowledge in a short time that will help us better plan our trip - more so than on any other thread so far!

[ I HATE traffic, congestion, etc. and I am not comfortable hauling luggage on mass transit.. I would want to hire a car or take a taxi. "

Thats my way also...

But, what about purchasing transfers through the cruise line ?

Are you talking transfers only (w/o cruise air) from the airport to the ship ?

It might depend on the cruise line but I believe that cruise lines do not offer transfers only for cruises out of NY...

Unless something has changed:

I can tell you Celebrity does not. Royal Carribbean does not and I assume that the other mass market lines follow suit. IMHO the reason for this is that I think the majority of the passengers usually drive to the cruise terminal and there is a pletohora of other transportation options. I do know that some lines offer bus service to/from other Northeast cities...Boston, Philadelphia

Archived