Anyone ever not use a credit card for down payment when booking?

I am wanting to book another cruise real soon but do not want to use my credit cards right now. When I booked our last (and only cruise) last year the PVP really pressured me to use a credit card for $500 down payment. But I would really rather mail in a payment or even an automatic bank withdrawal to avoid using my credit card. More than likely I would be booking a gaurantee (either a balcony or OV depending on the ship) so I wouldn't be worried about losing an assigned cabin by mailing in payment. So, anyone ever pay your down payment by anything other than a credit card? Maybe I could use one of those pre-paid credit cards? Anyone ever use one of those?

I always use my debit

CeeCe911 - I guess I never thought of that since I don't have a debit card (my bank charges a monthly fee just to have one :rolleyes: ). But if they take debit cards then maybe they will take my bank account # over the phone for an auto withdrawal

Here's the info from Carnival's website:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Payment_Information.aspx

Which forms of payment do you take? spacer.gif 1. Check – Mail check payments to:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Attn: Cash Dept. - MSRV 406N

3655 NW 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178

2. Credit Card – Call in credit card payments by phone or log on to http://www.carnival.com. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover ® Network, and Diners Club Credit Cards are accepted.

3. FunShipPay – Exclusive to Travel Agents. Using FunShipPay will debit funds from Travel Agent’s bank account and credit the cruise booking. Payments are posted within 30 minutes.

4. Wire Transfers – Wire payments by using the following companies at their respective offices to pay for bookings as well as have funds wired onboard:

a. Western Union – Write CarnivalFlorida as the city code to have payments sent to Carnival. Also provide the booking #, ship, sail date, and guest name. For questions on how to use any Western Union service, call 1-800-Call-Cash.

b. MoneyGram - Fill in 4174 as the receiving code for payment to arrive at Carnival. Also provide booking #, ship, sail date, and guest name. For questions contact MoneyGram at 1-800-MoneyGram.

5. Bankwires – Mainly used by Travel Agents, but can be used by direct guests. The following information is needed when sending a bankwire:

Bank of America

ABA (or Routing) # 1110-0001-2

Carnival Cruise Lines

Account # 1371054130

Swift Code BOFAUS6S (if necessary)

1-800-577-9473

214-508-4800

901 Main Street

Dallas, Texas 75202

So, anyone ever pay your down payment by anything other than a credit card? Maybe I could use one of those pre-paid credit cards? Anyone ever use one of those?

I use checks via mail every time. No problems. I usually wait for the fax statement from the PVP and mail it in.

Stay away from Pre-paid credit cards, they typically charge per transaction or a monthly fee. And they DO NOT help your credit.

I use a debit Mastercard. I love paying cash for my vacations! No worries about huge CC bills when I get back!

However, to the OP, what you could do is use your CC for the $500 deposit and immediatly send a $500 payment to your CC company.

I mailed a check for mine last year.... No problems.. Sent it next day air, and called the PVP the next day to confirm that she got it.. All was smooth sailing. No pressure to use CC/Debit card at that time.

We use a TA and we pay cash. She even lets us drop of bits and pieces when I have a good tip night...as a waitress, I try to cash in my singles instead of dropping off wads of small bills

When we get on board, we go to the purser and give cash. Even the ATM fee is lower on the ship than the finance charges...

This leads me off topic to spending money- so I will start a thread...

If you don't wantto use c.card, why not just use a debit card... same as writing a check in my eyes ! But again. some banks do charge a fee for their use I guess, just not where I Live.

As for me personally I use my c.card to get FREE GAS for purchases made on my c.card....works for me very well as I always pay the balance due when the statement comes so it is like a FREE GIFT for me !

I am wanting to book another cruise real soon but do not want to use my credit cards right now. When I booked our last (and only cruise) last year the PVP really pressured me to use a credit card for $500 down payment. But I would really rather mail in a payment or even an automatic bank withdrawal to avoid using my credit card. More than likely I would be booking a gaurantee (either a balcony or OV depending on the ship) so I wouldn't be worried about losing an assigned cabin by mailing in payment. So, anyone ever pay your down payment by anything other than a credit card? Maybe I could use one of those pre-paid credit cards? Anyone ever use one of those?

By law, if the company you book travel with goes bankrupt/out of business, you get your charges refunded from your credit card.

Pay with cash or a check--you're screwed.

Not much of a risk with Carnival, but airfare nowdays.

CC, it's just easier. Like a previous poster said, I use it and turn around and send the payment right away and there's no interest accrued for that charge. And yes, using your cc gives you certain protections including being able to dispute charges.

Thanks for your input everyone. It sounds like going with the credit card again would be the way to go and then immediately make that payment to the cc company. Because our cruise was in December (and we used our cc for our travel before & after cruise/during cruise/excursions & ports/etc) plus misc Christmas purchases the balance is a little larger than normal and we are currently unable to pay it in full which why I wanted to avoid using it as much as possible until we get it paid off.

I purchased my whole trip at one time with an electronic check. Did this with carnival via the telephone. Did this because my debit/visa card has a $500 daily limit and didnt want the hassle of having it lifted. The check went through without a hitch. No problem.:)

I use CC for everything I can, just like cash. Love the air miles. On average, I carry $100 or less in cash on me daily. You have to pay off the CC every month to make it work in your favor though.

I'm the same way. I use credit card for absolutely everything I can. It's not uncommon for me to get about 50K miles/year using it. I booked my cruise using it but paid it off when I received the next bill. I'm sure I'll do more damage to it on our cruise. :D

By law, if the company you book travel with goes bankrupt/out of business, you get your charges refunded from your credit card.

Doesn't really do you any good. You must dispute the charge within 60 days of the day you received the credit card bill. Cruise lines make you pay so early, you would most likely be past that 60 day window of dispute.

It is better than nothing though. Just depends on the timing of the billing and when the company goes under.

I always use my credit card, never carry cash (I spend it if I have it). We pay off the balance at the end of the month. We usually make anywhere from $250-$300 just in credit card rewards every year b/c of this, and that is what we use as spending money on the cruise. I didn't realize that your charges get refunded if the airlines go bankrupt... is that for a specific type of card, or for all credit cards? We use Visa.

Email me and I will tell you how to do it

Archived