Has anyone flown on Air Pacific?

Psoque

Hi. I want to know if any of you have flown on Air Pacific flights out of LAX to Fiji/New Zealand/Australia recently.

We found a very economical open jaw fare (LAX to AKL, then SYD-LAX) with few hours stop in Nadi, Fiji. We would have to get a separate BUF-LAX roundtrip ticket, but even with that, the prices are just too tempting (will save about $1000 per person). We are taking a 14 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney on Jan. 6 on Celebrity Mercury.

Buffalo is not one of Celebrity's gateway cities for this cruise, so we either have to fly out of Toronto or arrange for custom air, which will not be confirmed until much closer to the cruise. Celebrity is going to charge around $2300 per passenger for flights from Toronto, and also about $2100 per passenger for JFK departure, including taxes.

In addition to our recent bad experience with cruise/air customer service (not with Celebrity) recently, we are very neutral about using cruise/air package, so we started to look around for airfare on our own.

I know that they don't issue e-tickets for open jaw reservations, but I am not sure if that is a serious problem....or would there be a problem?

We are not that concerned with "service extras." We don't care if we don't fly on Qantas. We just want to safely get to our destination on time and also return safely on time. We are also making arrangements so that we will definitely arrive at LAX from Buffalo on day before the flight to Fiji/NZ, and also, arriving at Auckland one day before the cruise starts.

When I looked at the internet posting about Air Pacific, I only find a few comments, and they range from "wonderful" to "terrible" with very little in between. I would like to hear from someone who has recently used this airline who may have some useful advice to give to us.

Thanks.

I've had electronic tickets for lots of open jaw flights, international and domestic. They even do electronic for round the world tickets, bouncing willy nilly with 15 stops.

I would put up with a lot to save the kind of money you are talking about, especially multiplied over several people. So I think you are doing the right thing. Also I think LAX isn't as bad as some other airports for transferring domestic to international on your own... international is in between terminals 3 and 4, I tell you so you can check how far your domestic flights are from it.

You might call air pacific to see what domestic airlines they cooperate with, maybe you can get it all one ticket, maybe even with bag transfer done for you. Then you are in better stead with any flight delay/cancellation.

Hi. I want to know if any of you have flown on Air Pacific flights out of LAX to Fiji/New Zealand/Australia recently.

We found a very economical open jaw fare (LAX to AKL, then SYD-LAX) with few hours stop in Nadi, Fiji. We would have to get a separate BUF-LAX roundtrip ticket, but even with that, the prices are just too tempting (will save about $1000 per person). We are taking a 14 day cruise from Auckland to Sydney on Jan. 6 on Celebrity Mercury.

Buffalo is not one of Celebrity's gateway cities for this cruise, so we either have to fly out of Toronto or arrange for custom air, which will not be confirmed until much closer to the cruise. Celebrity is going to charge around $2300 per passenger for flights from Toronto, and also about $2100 per passenger for JFK departure, including taxes.

In addition to our recent bad experience with cruise/air customer service (not with Celebrity) recently, we are very neutral about using cruise/air package, so we started to look around for airfare on our own.

I know that they don't issue e-tickets for open jaw reservations, but I am not sure if that is a serious problem....or would there be a problem?

We are not that concerned with "service extras." We don't care if we don't fly on Qantas. We just want to safely get to our destination on time and also return safely on time. We are also making arrangements so that we will definitely arrive at LAX from Buffalo on day before the flight to Fiji/NZ, and also, arriving at Auckland one day before the cruise starts.

When I looked at the internet posting about Air Pacific, I only find a few comments, and they range from "wonderful" to "terrible" with very little in between. I would like to hear from someone who has recently used this airline who may have some useful advice to give to us.

Thanks.

Psoque.. Take a look at Air Tahti out of JFK if you are in Buffalo. It just might be better for you? We are leaving in two weeks for SYD and returning from AUK using Air Tahiti out of JFK. If you have some extra time, Air Tahiti offers a free night in a hotel in Tahiti if you want it on one of your flight legs. You can check it out at:http://www.airtahitinui-usa.com/ Air Tahiti is a great airline, we have flown with them three times to Tahiti.

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned in a previous post, we flew with Air Pacific in September to and from Fiji. We flew business class and from what I could see in economy they were pretty packed in. The service to Fiji was terrible - old plane, disinterested staff. The flight home had me believing that I was flying on a different airline - it was fabulous.

However, because of that first flight, I would give them a miss next time around.

Jane

I havent flown with Air Pacific but one point to consider is that Air Pacific is owned by Qantas.

Qantas has an interest in FJ, the percentage of which I just cant recall right now. It does not however "own" Air Pacific. Believe me, they run their own show! ;)

Eeek.....I'm getting a little concerned.

AA has booked us on Air Pacific for our return Sydney/LAX. So far we have Business Class on the SYD/Nadi leg but economy on the Nadi/LAX.

We have until January to try for the upgrade (already using Business Class FF miles for the whole trip, LAX/AUK then SYD/LAX).

Just wondering.... does anyone know just how cramped it is in economy?

Thanks!

Eeek.....I'm getting a little concerned.

AA has booked us on Air Pacific for our return Sydney/LAX. So far we have Business Class on the SYD/Nadi leg but economy on the Nadi/LAX.

We have until January to try for the upgrade (already using Business Class FF miles for the whole trip, LAX/AUK then SYD/LAX).

Just wondering.... does anyone know just how cramped it is in economy?

Thanks!

Have AA tried to get you on one of the Qantas flights SYDLAX nonstop or are you wanting to have a stopover in Fiji? Or is AA telling you that there are no FF seats available on SYDLAX non stops?

If that is the case maybe ask AA to see if there are seats available on the Qantas flts Melbourne to LAX or Brisbane to LAX nonstops. If you got seats out of either of the other 2 cities they are only about just over an hours flight from Sydney. You can either use miles for them or just buy tickets on the net as they are not all that expensive.

Hope that makes some sense !!! :)

Maurice

Have AA tried to get you on one of the Qantas flights SYDLAX nonstop or are you wanting to have a stopover in Fiji? Or is AA telling you that there are no FF seats available on SYDLAX non stops?

Maurice

Thanks for the response, Maurice!

No, we are not wanting a stopover in Fiji. AA is saying there are no other FF seats available on SYD/LAX non stops. To date, this is the best we can get.....and I call almost daily (for the past two months!).

DH is flying back to the U.S. before us.....he was able to get the one and only seat in Business Class (available at the time he called) and they do have him booked via Melbourne, on Qantas. DD and I are on our own. :rolleyes:

We have non-stop LAX/AUK on the outgoing on Qantas....have been able to get one business and one economy seat so far.....guess where DD will be if we don't get the 2nd business class seat....:) (That's been my incentive to get her to share the calling with me.)

Maybe I am out of line in making this comment, but someone please explain this to me.

Why is that some people are avoiding the coach class like the plague? I have flown on different classes (first, business, and coach), even on longer (including transpacific) flights, and I agree that first/business class flights are more comfortable and pleasant, but there's nothing really wrong about coach flights either.

Whenever I take a vacation, I am just very grateful that I can take a vacation. Flying first/business to my vacation would be very nice, but I would not say that a coach flight would ruin my vacation. I really don't expect excellent food or leather seating when I fly. Actually, I prefer to spend less on flights, and spend more on the actual destination related costs, including booking a nicer cabin on the ship or staying in a nicer hotel the night before the cruise.

Maybe I am out of line in making this comment, but someone please explain this to me.

Why is that some people are avoiding the coach class like the plague? I have flown on different classes (first, business, and coach), even on longer (including transpacific) flights, and I agree that first/business class flights are more comfortable and pleasant, but there's nothing really wrong about coach flights either.

Psoque: Just speaking for myself (and family), we usually do fly coach when going on vacation. This time, however, we have more than enough miles to fly business class and would much prefer to use them on a long international flight than many, many short domestic flights. :)

Thanks.

In February we flew the reverse route.....LAX to SYD (via Qantas 747)......cruised SYD to AUK and then flew AUK to NAN (via Air Pacific 737) with a stay in Fiji.....and then flew NAN to LAX (via Air Pacific 747). We did it all for around $1400US. The Air Pacific flights were fine (although Qantas was better). I would recommend Air Pacific and would fly them again......:)

Check out the prices that are available with Hawaiian Airlines. A friend from LA was looking at a return fare of around US$1000 very recently. i don't know if they drop (so to speak) into Aukland.

Bula!!!

Generally the NAN/LAX leg is flown on B747-400 aircraft. They used to belong to Singapore Airlines at one point.

I agree with some of the other posters that yes in economy you can be packed in. It's a 10.5 hour flight from LAX leaves usually at 2230hrs arriving Nadi about 0530. The ongoing connection to AKL leaves NAN at 1000hrs arriving AKL at 1400 local +/- a few minutes. Not sure of the SYD/NAN dep times but the night fklight to LAX departs NAN at about 2230 or so arriving LAX the same day at 1315.

We were upstairs on the top deck just behind the cockpit. It pays to get up and stretch now and then regardless of whether you disturb someone. Upper deck seating is 3 by 3 whereas the main cabin on the lower deck is 3 by 5 by 3.

Checkin at LAX opens at 1730 supposedly, but they opened earlier (about 1700) when we checked in. Then we took a shuttle to a hotel for a bite to eat and a few drinks before heading back to go through security (totally painless at LAX...believe it or not). Flight was about 20 mins late out of LAX but arrived NAN on time. The flight dep and arr NAN/AKL were ontime.

HINT...Air Pacific usually has Business (Tabua) Class upgrades you can purchase from NAN/LAX the day of your flight and subject to availability. Price runs in FJ$ (charge to your CC) and cost depends on number of seats they're trying to unload (fill). Check with Air Pacific (FJ) at Kingsford-Smith airport in SYD for availablity when you checkin.

I found the service on Air Pacific to be excellent...all drinks, food and entertainment are complimentary with a light meal departing LAX and NAN and a full breakfast with champagne and orange juice even in Economy (Pacific) Class. On the SYD/NAN and NAN/AKL legs you will also get a meal. The short SYD and AKL flight are generally flown with B737-800 series aircraft (new, more comfortable than the old 747s and modern).

The only thing I didn't like about the older 747s was the entertainment system which was old and difficult to get the channels of video and audio you wanted. I believe the system is just old and it's weird trying to work the remote with a cord into the side of your seat, so if you've got an MP3 player load up your favourite music prior to leaving BUF, and take a good book.

Liquor is relatively cheap at the Duty Free in Nadi. You are allowed to take 3 litres of alcohol (spirits) into New Zealand, however don't take any animal or agricultural products (meat etc) as the dogs will get you in the lineup at immigration and you can be handed an automatic NZ$200 fine even before you set foot past immigration.

On the return leg we had contemplated the upgrade to Tabua Class but found out the plane wasn't full so the two of us had three seats on the upper deck to ourselves for the long leg to LAX.

All in all, I think the service is great on FJ; the price beats the big four(NZ, QF, AC and AA) and the staff are friendly and helpful. I would definitely fly FJ again.

For everyone's info, FJ codeshares with AA and it's a short walk from AA's terminal to Tom Brdaley Int'l at the end of the lAX "U"

Ciao for now!!!

Thank you for your detailed description of your experience with Air Pacific.

We recently purchased open jaw tickets (LAX-AKL, then SYD-LAX) from Air Pacific ("Pacific Voyager" economy class) for our January 2008 cruise. I'm surprised they are the only airlines that this sort of a good deal on a peak season travel to be available this readily.

Also, I was surprised that, despite the fact that we had to get "paper tickets," Air Pacific actually had electronic records of our reservation when I called. Also, they were able to assign us seating on these flights. I guess they are "sort of" transitioning into e-ticket infrastructure?

Anyways, we were assigned two seats on row 28 on 747-400. This is located on the "main level," one row behind the first economy row of seats, just a few rows in front of the stairs. I know that Air Pacific is one of the few carriers that actually fill the "upstairs" of the 747 with economy seats (at "economy" density). Even with slightly dense seating arrangment, is the upper deck seating much more comfortable?

I've read mixed reviews on the advantages of upper deck on Air Pacific 747-400s. Some say they are very roomy, some say the area is too congested with too many seats (probably because people are used to seeing first class seats in that location on other airlines).

Also, I've heard good things about the section of the aircraft that we are currently in. I guess that the flight is still not that full, so I was going to find out more about this issue before I call them again to ask for a better seat, if there is such a thing. Neither Seatguru or Seatexpert has any information on Air Pacific.

Also, how much did you pay for upgrade to business at the airport. I'm not very keen on paying for upgrades, either with $$$ or miles, but if the prices are reasonable (or more precisely, LOW), I would be very interested in at least upgrading the LAX-NAN portion.

Again, thanks for your information.

Captain Ron: Thank you for this great *hint* and for the rest of your extremely informative post. I am printing it in it's entirety and placing it in my Australia/New Zealand folder! I feel better now. :)

Hi Psoque,

If I recall, we inquired at AKL for the NAN/LAX leg and were told that upgrades to Tabua Class were available for aboutFJ$1600 per person (approx CAD$1000 or USD $885 per person).

If available, when you check at Sydney, they will wire Nadi for you and hold the Tabua class seats. When you go through arrival at Nadi, you don't clear Immigration and Customs, rather a detour through security into the Pax holding/departure lounge. When they check your names off the manifest for the flight to LAX, that's the time you will make arrangements to pay for the upgrade, and seat allocation.

I made my electronic reservations with head office in Tucson, AZ and one of the airline execs did the booking for us as it wouldn't complete online. He still gave me the webfare, and offerred that far (3 months) in advance to confirm my seat allocation for all legs on the PNR.

After providing them with my email address, they emailed me a copy of the electronic reservation. Boarding passes are printed at the checkin counter...no pre checkin or electronic kiosks.

Ciao for now!!!

PS...Don't know where Samsung came form!!!

• 5 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread as we just booked with Air Pacific for January 2008. Their price was 600 to a 1000 (US$) than the other airlines and the info here makes me feel more comfortable about flying with them. Thanks to you all!

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on Air Pacific flight to catch our cruise in Auckland, as well as to return from Sydney to LAX. I think we did relatively well in terms of saving $$.

I recently e-mailed Air Pacific reservations to ask if it is possible for me to power my laptop during the long flight from LAX to Nadi. In the brief reply, I was told that power ports do not exist in their aircrafts.

I'm a bit surprised, but I guess that's the price of flying with a budget airline.

Has anybody else flown on Air Pacific flights (especially on their Boeing 747 aircrafts) recently, who can confirm that power ports are in fact unavailable?

Thanks.

My parents were looking at Air Pacific for a one way flight from Sydney to LAX. For not much more per person they were able to find a non-stop on Air Newzealand (operated by United).

Since the flights connect in Fiji and it is primarily owned by the Fiji Government you might want to keep an eye on the political situation there. There was a military coup there in December and they just re-instated a state of emergency. My parents are on a cruise now and they were told that they may not be able to dock in Fiji because of the situation there.

Archived