Australia Question for Aussie girl

Jancruz

Stu and I have to go into Auckland so early because of mileage for our airline tickets, I would love to get an apartment for a week..do you have any idea how I can find a good location at a reasonable price?

Thanks,

Jan

You might check out VRBO (Vacation Rentals By Owner). I checked the VRBO web site and they show many rentals in Sydney and several other Australian cities. I have used this site for several rentals in the US and have been happy with all of them, but have not used it for any international rentals.

Jan,

I have just looked on the website and Quay West apartments are in Auckland as well. They are here in Sydney, Melbourne etc. and can be highly recommended.

Here is the link:

http://www.quaywest.com.au/ The Auckland link is on this website.

Here is a better link: http://www.mirvachotels.com.au/hotel_detail.asp?hotel=23

Jennie

Jan, my brother and sister-in-law own a really lovely apartment in Auckland. http://auckland-apartment.com/auckland-location.htm. It is right down by the waterfront in easy walking distance to shops, ferries and is really ideally situated for restaurants, shopping etc.. The decor is modern but not stark. It's very clean and beautifully maintained. My SIL is a wonderful decorator and has done a great job with the apartment which has two comfortable bedrooms and two bathrooms. There's a good floor plan on the website.

If you're interested, please let me know and I'll mention you will be in touch with them.

Barbara

Jan, my brother and sister-in-law own a really lovely apartment in Auckland. http://auckland-apartment.com/auckland-location.htm. It is right down by the waterfront in easy walking distance to shops, ferries and is really ideally situated for restaurants, shopping etc.. The decor is modern but not stark. It's very clean and beautifully maintained. My SIL is a wonderful decorator and has done a great job with the apartment which has two comfortable bedrooms and two bathrooms. There's a good floor plan on the website.

If you're interested, please let me know and I'll mention you will be in touch with them.

Barbara

I am REALLY interested in 8 nights there from January 16 to January 24 (the day Nautica leaves) and would love to talk to them about renting ..I have contacted them by email but I am afraid the cost may be prohibitive for us..I have asked if they would like to trade for our 2 bedroom home in Palm Desert completely furnished and in a community with a golf course..

Thanks,

Jan

Barbara

Barbara,

I have bookmarked the apartment as we will be in New Zealand in the not too distant future and am always on the lookout for somewhere nice to stay. From the tariff that is posted on the website, it is very reasonable. When I converted it to Aussie dollars it was under $200 a night which is fantastic for a roomy 2 bedroom apartment in the heart of Auckland. :o

Jennie

Jennie and Jan,

I phoned my brother last night to tell him of this forum. I actually asked him if he was firm on his price for 8 nights and he said he had to keep it at the quoted price. While it won't work for all budgets, the location is amazing and it really is a lovely apartment. It is decorated like a modern and comfortable home. Has a little patio as well. Be sure to mention my name - you can say "your sister Barbara told us about your apartment."

They are very gracious to their guests. For years they ran a B&B up in Tapeka Point, Russell in the Bay of Islands. It was designed and built by them, in Greek style, on a hill. The place is still there but owned by Americans now I think. If anyone gets a chance to stay there, it's just lovely.

"I phoned my brother last night to tell him of this forum. I actually asked him if he was firm on his price for 8 nights and he said he had to keep it at the quoted price. While it won't work for all budgets, the location is amazing and it really is a lovely apartment. It is decorated like a modern and comfortable home. Has a little patio as well. Be sure to mention my name - you can say "your sister Barbara told us about your apartment."

They are very gracious to their guests. For years they ran a B&B up in Tapeka Point, Russell in the Bay of Islands. It was designed and built by them, in Greek style, on a hill. The place is still there but owned by Americans now I think. If anyone gets a chance to stay there, it's just lovely."

It sounds wonderful and I will certainly suggest it to anyone that asks me about Auckland..Thanks so much for taking the time to contact your brother..I really appreciate it..thats why these boards are so wonderful..what ever did we do before computers?????

Jan

Jennie and Jan,

They are very gracious to their guests. For years they ran a B&B up in Tapeka Point, Russell in the Bay of Islands. It was designed and built by them, in Greek style, on a hill. The place is still there but owned by Americans now I think. If anyone gets a chance to stay there, it's just lovely.

Barbara,

I think Peter and myself may have stayed at the B&B in Tapeka Point a few years ago when we were touring around the North End of New Zealand. Small world isn't it!! :)

Jennie

• 1 month later...

Oceanlvr,

I was about to send to a friend the website of your brother's apartment but unfortunately it keeps coming up that the domain name needs to be renewed.

Do they have another website or could I have the name and address of the apartment as I did not take write down any details at the time you gave them to us. I only bookmarked the site. We are hoping to stay there next year when we go to Auckland.

Jennie

Jennie - I have no idea what's happening there but I'll email them right away. Since they're on a diff time zone of course it will be some time before they can set things right.

I'm so glad you wrote to me. Check back later today and see if it's up and running again.

However, if you Google Bob and Gai Tuxford you actually get their contact information and I'm sure you could just call them. You could mention Bob's sister Barbara referred you. (Gai's an Aussie herself).

We stayed at a nice B&B called Fringe of Heaven in Titarangi which is just outside Auckland (one of the suburbs). It was kind of a quirky place (modeled after Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater), the owners are lovely and the view is to die for.

This is their website http://www.fringeofheaven.com/ and they charged $180NZ per night.

If you'd like more info let me know.

Cheers!

I now have an alternate web site for the Quays apartment: www.babs.com.au/quays/index.htm

They are aware the site is down and are working on the problem. Thanks!

Barbara,

Thanks so much for the new link. I will also bring up their names on Google and bookmark that as well. I was sending the information to good friends of ours who spend quite a bit of time in Auckland. We also want to stay there next year on our way to Vancouver. Air New Zealand are starting a new schedule which will fly direct to Vancouver from Auckland.

Jennie

Caribbean Sun,

Thanks for that information about the B&B. We have stayed in B&B's before when we have been in Auckland. We were most interested in Oceanlvr's brothers unit as it would give us more room to spread out and it is on the harbour.

Jennie

For Jancruz1

We stayed in Auckland for 4 days over New Year's in January, 2005 at the Duxton Hotel. There was a washer and dryer in a closet in the room. My memory fails a bit, but I know there was a fridge/sink/counter as well. The staff is outstanding...very courteous and helpful. The rates are excellent and the hotel was about a pleasant 15 min walk to the waterfront. It was situated very near the Convention Centre (3 min walk). I'm certain we paid less than $150 CAD/night. Hope that's helpful...by the way...it was cooler in temp compared to Aus at that time of year....while it was 30-35 centigrade in Aus...NZ was a much cooler 19-21.

-Zu Zu's Petals:o

Archived