Auckland to Brisbane

We're about to book on Holland America's Statendam from Auckland to Brisbane in November 2007. I'm prone to seasickness and am very nervous about so much open sea. It appears to be quite rough travelling between Milford Sound and Tasmania. Can anyone tell me if there is a "best time" to travel - as we haven't booked yet, please let me know if we've picked a "less preferable time" to travel as well.:confused:

Looks like a nice cruise. The Tasman Sea can be rough, mostly due to prevailing weather. Low pressure cells occur all year round, so it is more about luck than picking a best time.

While these waters are rarely calm, they are usually navigated with some level of comfort, and I think the Statendam should do OK in most conditions. November is usually as good a time as any other.

In the meantime, read up on seasickness posts and find something that works for you.

We have just travelled accross the Tasman Sea on the Sapphire Princess, (Milford Sound to Hobart) the sea was as calm as anything maximum 4ft waves but 2 cruises prior had 30-50ft waves. Very unpredictable sea.

We are booked on the November sailing. One of the nice things about this cruise is we will be seeing a bit, albeit a small bit, of many parts of New Zealand and Australia. Obviously, these countries are so vast, it would be impossible to see all of them. The only other way to see parts of the countries would be to go by coach tour, but this would be too regimented for us - like to do our own thing. Hopefully, we will not be sea-sick - the last time I was was on the Theodor Herzl many, many years ago! However, things have changed and cruise ships are much improved. All the same, I will go armed with Bonine, the wrist bracelet and the patch - to ward off the evil eye! lol. Don't forget the Tasman is only a part of the cruise - and it should be a fantastic holiday.

Archived