Information/Opinions about Camp Carnival

new2cruising2008

My 9yo did the slumber party that you were asking about and they brought her back to the cabin. She had sooooo much fun, but was hard to get up the next morning. It turned out well for us, since it was a sea day we just gave up and let her sleep (she slept till 1pm!). As to signing themselves in and out ... they need your permission to do this. If you don't allow it, they can't sign in and out on their own. We did allow our 9yo to do so, but made specific arrangements with her about what she was to do if she signed out earlier than we had planned ... it only happened once during the whole cruise and she just went back to the cabin for a nap (our cabin was straight down the elevators from Camp Carnival, so it was easy for her ... if we'd been at the opposite end of the ship I might not have allowed her to sign out alone). Sometimes all ages are lumped together depending on the time of year that you cruise ... if they only have one 10 year old, they'll put them together with the next group down ... but if you're cruising during a peak vacation season when there are lots of kids, you can usually sweet talk the counselors into working with your specific family situation (unless they are totally overwhelmed and overbooked, which does happen). I have a 12yo who is very shy and she has been allowed to stay with her little sister until she gets comfortable with the staff ... usually a day or two and then she is ready to move on up to her own age group.

Thanks for all of the great info. on this thread. My DD will be 2 on our upcoming cruise and it will be here first experience with Camp Carnival, although it'll be her 3rd cruise. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to drag her out of there with all of the wonderful activities that seem to go on! I don't think I'll be able to make it out of there without her building a "buddy".

• 2 weeks later...

My son (almost 10 at the time) did the late night party (9-11 y.o.'s) when we were on the Pride - I think you had to sign up for it and it cost $20. He had a blast - they had movies, late night pizza, deck party on the Lido deck and even played capture the flag in the show lounge after the last show. The counselor brought him back to the room around 3:00. He definitely slept in the next day! If I remember correctly, they could sign themselves out, but parents had to approve.

• 5 months later...

My daughter was two years old on our first carnival cruise... she didn't like camp carnival at all. She spent about an hour in there on the second day of our cruise, but then the counselors had to page me and have me come get her... she didn't want to stay. On the third day of the cruise, I told her she had to go back to camp carnival and try it at least one more time... she did, but again about an hour and a 1/2 later, I got paged again to come get her.

She didn't want to go back again. She's very attached to me, and not normally shy around other kids... I thought she'd do okay. She didn't.

She's 4 years old now, and we're going on another cruise in October, I've been talking to her about Camp Carnival for months now, trying to get her excited about it. Now that she's started kindergarten, I'm hoping that she'll be more willing to stay in Camp Carnival for longer this time!! She seems to be getting excited about it... we'll see though!!

Question for Y'ALL.... does anybody have pictures of Camp Carnival on the Sensation? That's the boat we are going on and I was kinda hoping that if I could show her what it was going to look like, it won't be so foriegn to her when we get there...

.....Question for Y'ALL.... does anybody have pictures of Camp Carnival on the Sensation? That's the boat we are going on and I was kinda hoping that if I could show her what it was going to look like, it won't be so foriegn to her when we get there...

Try going here on the Carnival website: <LINK>

Then scroll down near the bottom of the page for the Camp Carnival virtual tour.

Michele~

Did your 2 year old participate in the talent show? I can't even imagine my son sitting up there participating in front of a crowd!

I know you didn't ask me... but when we went on our first carnival cruise, my daughter was just 2 years old and she participated in the talent show. And she HATED camp carnival... didn't want to be in there at all... but she got up on stage with everyone else and sang and danced with the other kids during the "talent show"

this year, she'll be nearly 5 years old on our cruise (her birthday is just a few days after we return from the cruise) and she's looking forward to showing off her dancing skills during the talent show.

Children's and Family's Programming on board

In port: Do they have activities or babysitting while in port? Some of the ports don't seem to offer much to kids, or we're there for SOOOO long that I can't imagine my kids will want to be on land all day, or DH and I might want to try an excursion that is not age-appropriate.

Well, we had planned on using the babysitting while we went snorkeling, but found out the first night on the ship that the babysitting on our two port days was only until 12 pm. They gave us a sheet that listed all the hours of the babysitting, and both Grand Cayman and Cozumel days were only until 12 pm. Considering that we couldn't get off the ship in Cozumel until nearly 11 am, there was no time to go snorkeling and get back by noon. It seemed pretty pointless to me to have babysitting for only an hour when it usually takes a half hour to get where you're going. So, we took our son with to the snorkeling place, and only my husband got to go. I had to stay ashore and sit with him. I was nervous about snorkeling anyway, and it was nice to sit in the crystal clear water with my son, but it was a little dissapointing. My husband won't shut up about the snorkeling, so now I feel like I missed out. So, the moral of the story is, don't count on using the port day sitting.

What is good about Camp Carnival? The slumber parties/extended babysitting? I read somewhere about a slumber party for the 9-11yo kids that lasts until 3:30am & then the counselors bring the kid to your cabin for you. Has anyone done that one?

My daughter did an overnight where they brought her back to the room around 6 or 7am! The cost was a whopping $50! She had a good time but once was enough.:eek:

I also read that 9-11yos can sign themselves out? I don't want that - can I stop it? How are the counselors with the kids? Did you tip the couselors at the end of the cruise?

I too didnt like this and asked that they NOT let her sign her self out, at 1st they said they wouldnt and then they told me I needed to work that out with her that they could not stop her if she really wanted to leave. In fact one night we left the ship in Puerto Vallarta for an excursion and told the staff we would be off the ship to PLEASE make sure she stayed with them and when we returned they said she had signed her self out over and hour earlier! We were frantic and then found her in her bunk asleep! Needless to say NO TIP on that cruise!:(

I

To answer some of the questions, I now have pretty much every age group covered for Camp Carnival, Club 02 as far as the schedules/ships. The kid's menu is here. And the rules for the camps are here too.

Click on this link here.....

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/cruisinmama06/Camp%20Carnival%20Capers/

If you have any scanned papers that you want to send to me, you can email them to bmediamom@comcast.net and I will add them to these pages. I also have other cruiselines too, so any will help make a great resource for cruising families.

The Build A Buddy Program has added new animals. The cost is NOW $29.99 and the animals come in Sailor Suits.

IMG_1219.jpg

The talent show - this was a disappointment on the Sensation. It was much better on the Elation. On the Elation, the kids joined in on a special Holiday program that the Elation singers/dancers were performing.

On Sensation, they only allowed the 9-11 year old group to "try out" for individual talents. So we sat there watching every 9-11 year old sing an individual song. Then at the end they allowed the 2-5's and 6-8's to do the "Cha Cha Slide" song together.

So for the parents of the 2-5's and the 6-8's, it was a LONG talent show...lol.

IMG_1213.jpg

On Sensation, they only allowed the 9-11 year old group to "try out" for individual talents. So we sat there watching every 9-11 year old sing an individual song. Then at the end they allowed the 2-5's and 6-8's to do the "Cha Cha Slide" song together.

So for the parents of the 2-5's and the 6-8's, it was a LONG talent show...lol.

OH this is BAD NEWS!! My daughter (who's almost 5) was seriously looking forward to doing a little dance solo in the talent show! She's been taking ballet since she was 2 years old and she just LOVES to put on shows for people. (she's pretty good actually!) She was getting excited about being able to show off her dance moves while we were on the cruise.

I think I'm not going to tell her... at least not until we get on the boat and there are other things for her to get excited about!

OH this is BAD NEWS!! My daughter (who's almost 5) was seriously looking forward to doing a little dance solo in the talent show! She's been taking ballet since she was 2 years old and she just LOVES to put on shows for people. (she's pretty good actually!) She was getting excited about being able to show off her dance moves while we were on the cruise.

I think I'm not going to tell her... at least not until we get on the boat and there are other things for her to get excited about!

Yep, SAME for my 7 year old (dance since age 2). She was almost in tears when she found out she couldn't audition. They actually told her no. :rolleyes:

On RCCL, they allow any age to audition and they had more of a diverse group of acts. They had kids telling jokes/spinning plates/break dancing. It was just more entertaining.

On Carnvial Sensation, we had to watch pretty much every 9-11 year old sing a song from a Disney movie...lol.

They ended the show with the parents being able to purchase a signed fun ship freedy doll.

We walked out of the talent show and my oldest said "Yeah well that was a waste!"

If you have any scanned papers that you want to send to me, you can email them to bmediamom@comcast.net and I will add them to these pages. I also have other cruiselines too, so any will help make a great resource for cruising families.

I have Camp Carnival capers for all age groups from the Miracle Western Caribbean itinerary (now the Legend.) I'll forward those for you to add. What a great idea and a truly valuable resource!

Any age can do this. You can even do it in your own cabin. Just stop by the camp and ask for the build a buddy package. They will give you a package all ready to go back to your room. The buddies even come in their own little cardboard house.

This is my 2 year old with her buddy after a day at camp.

I notice you have a lower bed rather than a pull out bunk, do you know if I can request this in a 9A on the Legend? I'd rather not have either child sleeping in the upper bunk. :)

I notice you have a lower bed rather than a pull out bunk, do you know if I can request this in a 9A on the Legend? I'd rather not have either child sleeping in the upper bunk. :)

As long as there is room, you can request one. I don't know what the available floor space on Legend is.

On Elation, we had an Ocean View cabin and we could easily wheel 2 more beds in there. Which we did. I slept in the pullman. The kids on the ground, as did my MIL who went with us. So there were 3 beds on the ground, one in the air.

On Sensation, we had a Cat 12, so the sofa turned into a queen for the kids.

I am not familiar with the 9A. But if we could do it in a smaller cabin on Elation, then I am betting you can do it on Legend.

As long as there is room, you can request one. I don't know what the available floor space on Legend is.

On Elation, we had an Ocean View cabin and we could easily wheel 2 more beds in there. Which we did. I slept in the pullman. The kids on the ground, as did my MIL who went with us. So there were 3 beds on the ground, one in the air.

On Sensation, we had a Cat 12, so the sofa turned into a queen for the kids.

I am not familiar with the 9A. But if we could do it in a smaller cabin on Elation, then I am betting you can do it on Legend.

Great. The 9A is 230 sq ft, so I'm thinking there should be room. I'll check it out when we get on board.

Also, when (or if, can't remember if you said your kids went) you go to the PJ party do you actually put your kids in PJ's? Our kids are going to go after they eat dinner (7:00) and DH, my mom and dad were going to do late seating. Since the PJ party starts at 10:00, I didn't really want to go back to change them.

Great. The 9A is 230 sq ft, so I'm thinking there should be room. I'll check it out when we get on board.

Also, when (or if, can't remember if you said your kids went) you go to the PJ party do you actually put your kids in PJ's? Our kids are going to go after they eat dinner (7:00) and DH, my mom and dad were going to do late seating. Since the PJ party starts at 10:00, I didn't really want to go back to change them.

I didn't change my kids before they went because having 2 girls who love their dresses, they didn't want to change. :rolleyes: But I did notice that when I picked the kids up, there were many kids in PJ's. But it's not a necessity.

• 2 months later...

Archived