Just back from Monarch - long

Shhhhh! Its a secret. My mom and dad and me and my uncle and his girlfriend and other friends of ours are all going on the Monarch this Monday as well :)

I sail this ship all the time, and still can't get enough of her cruises. I'd go back in a heartbeat :)

I was on the same cruise as the OP and at the C&A party, the captain mentioned that he was leaving at the end of our cruise and RCI's first female captain was taking over...

And we sail Monday, so I'll have to let you all know how things are with our lovely new captain :)

...I will have to decide between Monarch and Vision. We will be on Monarch's sistership Sovereign next month so I am hoping we will like her. If I do, I will probably be booking Monarch for April 2008! Glad to keep hearing good reviews :D !

If you have the time, go on the Vision. The stops are way better and the ship is a little bigger and prettier than the Monarch.

Monarch was our first cruise and I'll always love her but Vision is better! :)

We are going to do the winery tour because we have heard that it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun! Some people get really inexpensive massages at one of two little places in town, and others go boozin' at Papas and Beers or Hussongs.

I had read that too about the winery tour. I just read another review from this sailing who said they did the tour and next time they'll just stay on the ship. I'm hoping that person will tell us why and I'm wondering if any of these folks did the tour.

I had read that too about the winery tour. I just read another review from this sailing who said they did the tour and next time they'll just stay on the ship. I'm hoping that person will tell us why and I'm wondering if any of these folks did the tour.

She did. Check out her reply on the other thread. She doesn't drink wine and she's claustrophic, so drinking wine in a dark cave is NOT going to "float her boat"!!! ;)

Didn't hear anything about a female captain -- and I just don't recall the name. Sorry.

Hakan Lindegren has departed Monarch :( :( and will be aboard Brilliance today or tomorrow.:( Karen Johnsson should be at the helm now, but perhaps somebody disembarking tomorrow can tell us.

We had Sheldon as our waiter on a group girls cruise and I LOVE him. He wasn't head waiter at the time. I will have to give him your compliments in 2 weeks when we do the Murder Mystery Pirate sailing....

Johnny O isn't my favorite either but Danney IS!...Cause he books our next cruise and gives us our discount! I heard Capt. Hakan...(I know first name) is on board now.

I do believe our food and service has been so much better on the Monarch than the Freedom last month and can't wait to be back on her although James our CD was AWESOME!!!! and we loved the ship. A bit big though...LOL

Hakan Lindegren has departed Monarch :( :( and will be aboard Brilliance today or tomorrow.:( Karen Johnsson should be at the helm now, but perhaps somebody disembarking tomorrow can tell us.

Jean, thanks for the info! Maybe we will hear back from the people sailing soon.... I can't wait to meet her!

I have to say that I quite liked Johnny O, but then I didn't go to any shows so my exposure to him was limited to the P/D party and a concert he gave in the Centrum. At least he didn't take over the PA system!

Just to clarify my earlier posts, the sad faces are there because I think the world of Captain Lindegren. He's the most out and about and approachable Captain we've encountered he'e eye candy, too. I'm really looking forward to meeting Captain Johnsson, though!

Ensenada is our massage & lunch port. We did the winery tour and it was fun, drinkable if not exceptional wines. So we sleep in, stroll into town for a massage & then have lunch at El Pueblo before returning to the ship. I just can't get excited about too much else, although I did find a fabulous lapis & silver choker & earring set at Los Castillo last time....

Johnny O is a great guy I just usually take a group on the Monarch and there are quite a few newbies with us and I think they would appreciate a cruise director with more energy.

We like massages in Ensenada and have still been looking for a great lunch spot. What can you tell us about your favorite restaurant and/or taco stand?

Thanks,

Nancy

Ahhh......I found your review. ;) Don't know how I missed it earlier! :confused:

Sorry we really didn't get to meet on board.....maybe next time!

I'll have you know that night I went to sleep with the song in my head....."Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes"......you rocked!!! LOL. I guess those Girl Scouts did pay off. :D

Next time we will stay on board in Ensenada and do spa treatments!!

I hated that cave of the wine tour....other than that part it was OK. If anyone is into wine, you'll love this tour!

She is at the helm and she's awesome. A very personable captain :)

Can anyone tell me if they do the Sat night disco party on the pool deck at this time of year?

I would think it would really depend on the weather :)

If it is favorable, then sure. At our sailaway Monday night there was line dancing and partying on the deck.

Archived