Labadee...what to expect

Hello- I was curious what the day in Labadee is like? Is it worth it to book anything here or is it just a day at the beach deal? Also is there going to be any cost to just hang at the beach? Is there any lunch provided at the beach or will we need to head back to the boat?

Thanks,

Ann

Labadee was my favorite day on the cruise. We just hung out on the beach and our kids played in the sand. We did rent a raft ($10). Lunch is served in a shaded picnic area (bbq chicken, burgers, salads, corn on the cob, cookies).

The beach we went to was called hideaway beach and was not very crowded. Also it had shaded hammocks.

I would definitely recommend water shoes as it is quite rocky in the water. Also, one person who was snorkeling further out got a sea urchin spine in his toe.

Hope you have lots of fun :)

We also love Labadee. It's a beautiful place with clear blue water. We've rented rafts twice, taken the waverunner tour, and done the sea kayak tour. The bbq lunch was great - try the bbq burger!

Labadee is great. Get a mat and float around. Walk to the 3rd beach, the fartherest down and you will be happiest. Get off the ship as early as you can to beat the rush and to get the seat that you want.

Don't bother with the BBQ - it is covered with flies and I recommend going back to the ship early to eat. Stay away from the musicians as they are nice but pretty stinkey!

There is a Haitian market and it can be pretty scary, although I like going there. You can really bargain, but watch because they reach out and almost touch you, saying "buy from me, buy from me!" Take lots of $1's.

The locals are very good. What you want to keep in mind is the arverage income in Haiti is about $10 a month. Lots of people try and take advantage of them and I'm sure some locals are sifty however most are very nice. I also suggest taking some things with you to bartter with Tooth paste T shirts. Last time we took some old clothes with us and gave to them.

Labadee was our favorite! It was like a picture out of paradise! We were the first tender off and the first at Dragons Rock. Nobody even walked over there for a good 45 mins and maybe another 2 hours before the beach right there got busy! Gorgeous!

It is a relaxing beach day that is just that. Nothing to do but beach. DH and DS did the waverunners there last time and loved it. They went far out of sight and around the island and then back. They got to stop and take a swim. The locals that work on the island are employed by RCI so no need to feel for them as to what they are making. They live there and although walk for a day to get there they stay many days to work while ships are coming daily. The lunch is ok. Nothing to write home about. It is salads, burgers(hockey pucks), hot dogs, chicken and ribs. The last time we were there in Oct they ran out of utensils so it was a mess for a time. The salads were hard to eat with ones fingers!By the time you go through the line and then another line for drinks and then find a place to sit, all the food is cold. But what do you expect it is a BBQ! Still was nice not to have to go out and eat. As far as tipping.... I HATE the idea of having to tip someone who brings me the chair. I just do not do it. These are employees of the ship just as you would have on board. If someone around the pool straightened up a chair for you or put the pad on better in the solarioum pool, would you tip? or just say THANKS? If they are there as employees I see no reason why to tip. I once gave them a dollar for the chair and he saw we were a family of 4 and was upset. I told him we are only using one chair.... we like the sand!

So this last time I dragged my own 4 chairs this time.... all about 4 feet .

I stay clear of the market. If they would just leave you alone and not bother you more people would browse and then buy. They make it so uncomfortable to even step close to a table to look...like a pack of vultures decending on you. Ruins the relaxing day in my opinion.

But with that all said, it is a nice day since no money has to be exchanged for cab fare, rental cars, etc to get to a beach. This next cruise we are bringing our own mats. The fold up kinds that take very little room in suitcase. I saw tons of people with that and thought, now that is a good idea.

Labadee is also one of my favorite days on the cruise. It's the perfect beach day (and I'm from Florida so I see a lot of beaches!) DH and I have also done the waverunner tour and it's very cool. We've also just rented a mat and floated around and that was nice too. The food is ok - not the best - but at least there isnt an extra charge for it!

Since this "beach day" is included in your cruise fare, we never purchase excursions--just doesn't seem worth it! We use it as a relaxing day in the sun on a BEAUTIFUL beach!

We do tip the "chair movers"--they are residents of Haiti--one of the poorest nations EVER, and I feel rather guilty NOT tipping them, when they have so little, and from the type of vacation we're on, we have sooooo much!

When you go to Labadee there is one thing that is a must. You must parasail. It is the best thing to do. The felling you get as you fly above the water is amazing. It is amazingly peaceful. You dont hear anything its just you, the air, and someone else. If there is only one thing you do in Labadee make sure it is parasailing. Enjoy your cruise.

Mikey

Thank you all for your insight on the day. We are planning on just hanging at the beach. As far as renting the mats, can you put that on your normal card or is it better to just bring the cash?

Thanks to all of you for your insight!!

As others have said, it is a great beach day. A couple lessons we learned:

• Bring water socks/beach shoes - it is rocky in the water...ouch!
  • Lunch isn't great, but it is free.
  • Take PLENTY of sun block! It was our last port day and we were still lathered up with SPF 45. I put it on four times throughout the day and DH and I both got uncomfortably crispy!

Have a great day!

The $10 mats go on your sea pass, don't think they take cash. Correct me if I am wrong! If you have kids the water park is very fun! It was our favorite day too!! So relaxing and so beautiful. Like a little slice of Heaven. :D

I second that. We were at Labadee last month aboard VOS. This is the first time I have been to Labadee. But my hubby and I were in the Dom. republic a few times. We got an insiders look at how the haitians live. These people are so poor. They are grateful for a bar of soap or a tube of toothpaste, or a pair of hair barrettes. or a $2.00 pair of flip flops. My hubby manages a convienence store where they routinely throw out discountinued items--Candy, magazines, tylenol, toothpaste, snacks etc... This last year he saved all that stuff, and when we stopped at Labadee last month, we gave it to the haitian people at the straw market. Also picked up some coloring books, crayons etc... at the dollar store gave this out also. Everyone we gave stuff to was so grateful. It was a great feeling knowing I was helping someone else have a better day. I also decided ahead of time to do most of my souvenior shopping there also. Yes they were pushy, for a sale. But these people have nothing else. I spent every penny I went on shore with there, that day. But I wouldn't change a thing. And I hope my kids get a valuable lesson out of it. If your boat stops in Labadee. PLEASE pack extra gently used clothing or small toiletries, or crayons & coloring books, and give to these people. They can't help it their government sucks, and does'nt care for its people. But we can make a small difference in their lives.

Do they still have hammocks between the trees at Labadee? When I was there last you had to get on the island early to get one, but it was worth it! Great shade, gentle breezes and just steps to the beach.

Since this "beach day" is included in your cruise fare, we never purchase excursions--just doesn't seem worth it! We use it as a relaxing day in the sun on a BEAUTIFUL beach!

We do tip the "chair movers"--they are residents of Haiti--one of the poorest nations EVER, and I feel rather guilty NOT tipping them, when they have so little, and from the type of vacation we're on, we have sooooo much!

We did the kayak trip and enjoyed it. It was a good way to move around for a while and do something new.

Another tip is that when everyone is lining up for the tender, don't stand in line. Go to the bar by the tender dock and sit and have a few drinks. The line moves slowly and it was fun to just sit in the shade and enjoy for a while. We got on the last tender.

Viv

Hello- First thank you all...you have all been so helpful. Has anyone done the Unlimited Beach Snorkel in Cozumel? Who is the operator? Was there anything bad that happened or anything that I should be aware of? Also, does RCCL sell snorkels on the ship?

Thanks,

Ann

We parasailed at Coco Cay on our last cruise and loved it! For our upcoming cruise that stops at Labadee, I just booked parasailing at 9am and waverunners at 1pm. Planning for snorkeling, lunch, and resting in between!

It is already done :) But does this sound like a good plan for a family that isn't much into just laying on the beach?

[i stay clear of the market. If they would just leave you alone and not bother you more people would browse and then buy. They make it so uncomfortable to even step close to a table to look...like a pack of vultures decending on you. Ruins the relaxing day in my opinion.

How is the view from that ivory castle!!! If you were not so lucky as to live in the USA with money, you may have a greater appreciation for what others have to live with.

I would encourage you all to visit the market. Read back a few post about others who bring things to give to the locals. Imagine that in the giving they don't even want anything in return!!

These people live in the poorest country in the Americas show some compassion!!

I second that. We were at Labadee last month aboard VOS. This is the first time I have been to Labadee. But my hubby and I were in the Dom. republic a few times. We got an insiders look at how the haitians live. These people are so poor. They are grateful for a bar of soap or a tube of toothpaste, or a pair of hair barrettes. or a $2.00 pair of flip flops. My hubby manages a convienence store where they routinely throw out discountinued items--Candy, magazines, tylenol, toothpaste, snacks etc... This last year he saved all that stuff, and when we stopped at Labadee last month, we gave it to the haitian people at the straw market. Also picked up some coloring books, crayons etc... at the dollar store gave this out also. Everyone we gave stuff to was so grateful. It was a great feeling knowing I was helping someone else have a better day. I also decided ahead of time to do most of my souvenior shopping there also. Yes they were pushy, for a sale. But these people have nothing else. I spent every penny I went on shore with there, that day. But I wouldn't change a thing. And I hope my kids get a valuable lesson out of it. If your boat stops in Labadee. PLEASE pack extra gently used clothing or small toiletries, or crayons & coloring books, and give to these people. They can't help it their government sucks, and does'nt care for its people. But we can make a small difference in their lives.

I'm glad others agree and have taken to bring them some items to give. The appreciation they show is great. I am just so surprised (I guess not really) more sickened by those that look down at these hard working feelings.

I must say I have purchase several items at the market and rarely barter them down. I bought a soap stone carving for $15 when we were in San Juan they want $45 for the same thing. Some people got them for $10 but the time and work they put into it is easily worth that.

Thank you experienced travelers! I was also very curious as to what Labadee is like. And I'm so happy to have the information about bringing extra items for the locals. My husband travels weekly and saves up the hotel soaps and shampoos etc. for the local food pantry. Now I know to bring a big bag with me as well as other items to share.

I will make sure to bring some cash as I'm happy to tip for a chair.

Archived