Our Hawaiian Itinerary-please comment

sboh

We're a family of four-husband, myself, and two boys (13 & 16) sailing POH 06/11-18. This will be our first trip to Hawaii. We have cruised before (w/Princess to the Caribbean and Alaska). Our goal is to see some of the highlights of the Islands and get in as much beach/snorkel time as possible. Here is our tenative itinerary-any comments, other things we should consider?

Thurs- arrive HNL; check into the Waikiki Beach Marriott for 4 nights

Fri- Pearl Harbor tour w/Polynesian Adventure Tours (Arizona Memorial, USS Missouri, Punchbowl, and city)

Sat-snorkeling at Hanauma Bay

Sun-hike up Daimond Head

Mon-head over to the ship early afternoon; sail 8pm

Tue- Hilo-rent car and tour VNP

Wed- Maui-rent car and head over to Ka'anapali; check into Sheraton Maui for the night; spend day on the beach, snorkel at Black Rock and attend the luau held on their grounds that night (considered OLL but thought kids would enjoy fire-knife).

Thurs- Maui-either spend another day at the beach or head up to Haleakala Crater checking out Lahaina on the way.

Fri-Kona-Black Sand Snorkel and Beach excursion w/NCL (really wanted to do Fair Winds but didn't want to risk not making it to their pier in time).

Sat-Kauai-rent car (for first day only) and tour Waimea Canyon then spend afternoon at Poipu Beach.

Sun-Kauai-spend the morning at the beach near the ship (afternoon sail by NaPali Coastline).

Mon-Oahu-Explore the North Shore excursion w/NCL that includes drop-off at the airport for evening flight home.

Thanks all.

Mike-I have heard it's best to go early to Hanauma due to crowds and Diamond Head due to heat of the sun but after I posted I found out that the King Kamehameha Day parade will be on Saturday June 9 not Monday June 11 so we may have to shift everything back a day so we can see the parade. I'm a little afraid of scheduling Hanauma Bay for Sunday 06/10 as that is the "prob" day for box jeffyfish. Do they affect Hanauma Bay (or is it protected by the side of the volcano that caved in?) or just Waikiki? Also, if we had to do Diamond Head in the afternoon after the parade would we be crazy (too hot)? I suppose we could do Diamond Head on Monday morning before going over to the ship since we don't sail unitl 8pm. I know all this sounds crazy but we're coming from Ohio and I don't know if/when we'll get back. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Hanauma bay used to never get jellyfish, but last few years they've shut down the place a few times because of it. The invasions are timed by the lunar cycle, they only hit 7-10 days after a full moon on leeward coast. Usually day 9 or 10.

I have been to Hanauma Bay a few hundred times since I live so close, and never been stung.

I personally wouldn't do diamond head in the afternoon, I'd rather skip it than try to brave the heat.

Hanauma bay used to never get jellyfish, but last few years they've shut down the place a few times because of it. The invasions are timed by the lunar cycle, they only hit 7-10 days after a full moon on leeward coast. Usually day 9 or 10.

I have been to Hanauma Bay a few hundred times since I live so close, and never been stung.

I personally wouldn't do diamond head in the afternoon, I'd rather skip it than try to brave the heat.

I was looking ahead at a lunar calendar and it looks like this time period will overlap with our days on Oahu next January. Do you know if the Jellyfish occur in other areas as well, such as the Turtle Bay area, or are the invasions just on the leeward coast?

Thanks for all the information...it really helps a lot with planning!

Jellyfish only the leeward coast. The rest of the island can get portugese manowar on days with very strong winds blowing onshore. You will see them on the beach if they are there, blue bubble with blue string tentacles. I go out anyway, only ever got stung once. I hope I'm getting across that 99% of the time it isn't an issue at all, even if you get stung it's just painful.

It may be a significant cost savings to consider just a car rental and going to Pearl Harbor on your own?? I rented from Thrifty for $33 with taxes, Pearl Harbor is free.

• $20 for a combined Bowfin-Missouri unguided tour (adult)

• $16 for an unguided tour of Missouri (adult)

• $10 for a combined Bowfin-Missouri unguided tour (child)

• $8 for an unguided tour of Missouri (child)

• $10 for an unguided tour of Missouri (adult - military with ID)

• $5 for an unguided tour of Missouri (child - military parent with ID)

For a guided tour of USS Missouri - "The Chief's Guided Tour" - add an additional $6.00 per person (both child and adult, all categories).

If you plan to visit all three of our facilities, please allow at least one-half day for the complete Pearl Harbor experience. Tours of each facility require approximately 90 minutes. You may wish to allot some additional time to rest between tours, and to visit our gift shops.

Yes it's fine and smart to do pearl harbor on your own, would be a good choice.

The tours get no special advantage whatsoever at pearl harbor, line up like everyone else for tickets, etc..

Easy to find and pull up to in a rental car.

Just don't be surprised if the tour tickets are all gone if you show up in the afternoon, good to show up in the morning for the Arizona memorial.

Just don't be surprised if the tour tickets are all gone if you show up in the afternoon, good to show up in the morning for the Arizona memorial.

I agree, consider Pearl Harbor first thing. :)

On Saturday mornings (when Pride of America returns) are there usually still Arizona tickets available at 10:00 or 10:30? Didn't know how much we have to rush off the ship. Thinking of getting a rental car. Any locations that are near where the ship docks?

Thanks for all the great info on these boards!

Okay, we're going to go to the parade Sat. morning 06/09 then tour Iolani Palace at 11:15 am. This was something I wanted to do (as did my 16 yr old as he's into history and loves these kinds of tours) but couldn't fit it into our old schedule because they are closed on Sundays and Mondays. We'll do Hanauma Bay on Sun., 06/10. The full moon is 05/31 so we would have been taking our chances on the 9th also anyway. (We'll just have to hope the jellyfish are not a problem.) We'll save the hike up Diamond Head for Monday morning so we can beat the heat. I have requested late check-out from our hotel and this will give us something to do before we have to leave for the ship.

Mike-thanks so much for all your local insights, they really are helpful.

Still considering renting a car for Pearl Harbor but am a little afraid of weekday traffic.

1tuckersmom's-had the hardest time deciding between the OLL and the luau at Black Rock but my younger son really wanted to see the cliff divers and fire knife. Also, they grill steaks as part of the luau at Sheraton and when 16 yr old son heard that...

maybe your granddaughter and he will meet-he usually enjoys the teen clubs on our cruises.

It may be a significant cost savings to consider just a car rental and going to Pearl Harbor on your own?? I rented from Thrifty for $33 with taxes, Pearl Harbor is free.

• $20 for a combined Bowfin-Missouri unguided tour (adult)

• $16 for an unguided tour of Missouri (adult)

• $10 for a combined Bowfin-Missouri unguided tour (child)

• $8 for an unguided tour of Missouri (child)

• $10 for an unguided tour of Missouri (adult - military with ID)

• $5 for an unguided tour of Missouri (child - military parent with ID)

For a guided tour of USS Missouri - "The Chief's Guided Tour" - add an additional $6.00 per person (both child and adult, all categories).

If you plan to visit all three of our facilities, please allow at least one-half day for the complete Pearl Harbor experience. Tours of each facility require approximately 90 minutes. You may wish to allot some additional time to rest between tours, and to visit our gift shops.

We're thinking of getting a rental car also and just driving to Pearl Harbor and The Arizona our selves.

Is there a website we could prepurchase our tickets for the tours?

We're thinking of getting a rental car also and just driving to Pearl Harbor and The Arizona our selves.

Is there a website we could prepurchase our tickets for the tours?

If you're asking about the Bowfin or the Missouri, then the answer is yes. The Missouri has a website and you can order tickets and tour tickets in advance, and I'm reasonably certain the Bowfin would have a website too.

If you're talking about the Arizona Memorial tour, the answer is absolutely no. The tickets for each day are handed out free starting at about 7:30 am on a first-come-first-served basis. No exceptions (not for tours, not for ship excursions, not for school trips, not for anyone except actual Pearl Harbor survivors). Everyone going on the tour must stand in line for a ticket. You are not given a choice of times. You take the tour number handed to you, and that's when you go. There are no tickets available in advance, and once the tickets for the day are gone, they're gone.

That's why it's best to go early in the day. Often the day's tickets will be gone by 11:00 am. Sometimes not, but there's no way to know until that specific day how crowded it will be or how long tickets will be available.

beachchick

On Saturday mornings (when Pride of America returns) are there usually still Arizona tickets available at 10:00 or 10:30? Didn't know how much we have to rush off the ship. Thinking of getting a rental car. Any locations that are near where the ship docks?

Thanks for all the great info on these boards!

Pride Of America returns on Sunday. I rented a car from Thrifty, they picked up at the dock, their office was maybe 10-15 min. away. I drove to Pearl Harbor, after a brief stop and easily got tickets. They were still available when we left in the afternoon.

As already suggested, plan on going direct to there first, by any mode of transportation you choose.

sboh-your itin similar to ours just completed. See review posted http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=512189

Sat & Sun in HNL pretty light. Beaches & traffic outside of HNL heavier on weekends. I thought Hanauma Bay was overrated for snorkelling when I was there 25 years ago. Check out other snorkel sites in Oahu Revealed or Snorkel Bobs, especially if you get a car.

Suggest you consider more in Hilo - Akaka falls, black sand beach.

We were glad we didn't rent in Waikiki (traffic) but since you are there for 4 days & 4 of you it may be a good move. Check price of parking @ hotel.

Archived