Sailing under the Storebælt bridge.

Most cruiseships thats enter the Baltic sea will sail through the strait of storebælt, and therefor sailing under the Storebælt bridge.

So to give all of you a taste of what you will experience on your cruise i found some pictures of the Worlds largest Car/passenger ferry Color Fantasy sailing under the huge Eastern-bridge between the islands of Zealand (Sjælland) and Sprogø.

The bridge is a part of the Storebælt fixed link, which is a combined Rail and freeway tunnel/bridge connection.

The link connects Copenhagen in the east with Funen (Fyn) and further on the main peninsula of Jutland (Jylland).

color_fantasy_01.jpg

storebaeltsbroen_01.jpg

storebaeltsbroen_02.jpg

storebaeltsbroen_03.jpg

As you can see i am very interested in Ships (and trains also) and that was actually the reason i found Cruise Critic, and now i´m helping all of you as good as i can in my not so good english. :)

Great photos, Danish Viking. When we sail from Amsterdam to Copenhagen on Century in June will we sail under this bridge? I had assumed we would sail between Denmark and Sweden to pull into Copenhagen. I sure hope we take this route. There's a wonderful feeling sailing in a large ship under an even larger bridge. As well, when we sail from Copenhagen to Stockholm, will we sail under the Oresund Bridge or over the tunnel section?

Lynn

I don´t know why but almost all the cruiseships are sailing north of Sjælland (Zealand) but i think that there isn´t enough clearance in the drodgen strait where the tunnel section is (Only a draught of 8 meters) and the Bridge´s clearance is not that high (only 57 meters)

The eastern bridge over Storebælt has a clearance of 65 meters and the draught isn´t any problem.

However, there are plans of making the Drodgen strait 10 meters deep when they build the new cruiseterminal in Copenhagen, then most cruise ship will be able to sail directly to and from copenhagen and the baltic sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oresund_Bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Belt_Fixed_Link

Thanks, Danish Viking. Looking forward to seeing whichever bridge we sail under. Hope we don't drag bottom in the Drodgen Strait or they may have to unload some of the food supplies from the ship to make it ride higher in the water.;)

Lynn

when we sail from Copenhagen to Stockholm, will we sail under the Oresund Bridge or over the tunnel section?

Lynn

Hello Lynn

Due to Century's big rebuild in spring 2006 century is no longer able to sail under the Oresund Bridge or over the tunnel section.

Before the rebuild of the ship, the Century's draught was only 6,9 meters but after the rebuild it's now over 8 meters, therefor you will sail under the storebaelt bridge when you leave copenhagen for sweden.

i hope this will answer your question lynn

best regards

Nicolai

Well i didn´t know that, but when the new cruise terminal and the dredging in the Drogden strait is finish it will be more easy to sail to and from Copenhagen.

Here is a small part of the text, for the full text, just click on the link.

The new Pier, which will be constructed mainly for Turn Around ships, will be 2.4 km long when finalised. It will be located outside the main entrance to the harbour – still close to city centre.

The new Pier will be introduced in two steps: Firstly 800m - accommodating 2-3 Turn Around ships - to be further extended by 1.600m - both with a depth of 10.5m - allowing the Genesis Class to call.

http://www.cmport.com/CMP/UK/uk_docs.nsf/3805cb434978984d80256a410047c4c7/a7af894240ab3496c125726000435783?OpenDocument

Genesis is the new 220.000+ cruiseship that RCCL is going to build.

Does this mean Century will enter Copenhagen from Amsterdam by passing Helsinger (between Denmark and Sweden)? Then when we leave Copenhagen we'll sail north past Helsinger again and then counterclockwise around Sjaelland, Lolland and Falster to enter the Baltic Sea? Just trying to get it clear so I can help the captain navigate.;)

Archived