Mexican Riv/Mercury

andersonsrus

We are on the Mercury 4/6/07 Mexican Riv.

Need your guy suggestions since we have never been to any of these ports.

What we like to normally do at a port is take an excurion and then shop and sightsee on our own a bit. Or f we don't take an excursion we kind of wing it all day in port.

With Cabo San Lucas, Maz and PV what would you suggest do at these.no clue at all Where is the best shopping especially silver. Any certain shop to go to etc

Hi,

We just returned from that cruise exactly 4 weeks ago. We can heartily recommend the following:

Puerto Vallerta, Definitely do the Las Caletas Hideaway!

Cabo San Lucas - Discover Todos Santos - Lunch at the Hotel California - not to be missed.

Mazatlan - the Sierra Madre, Concordia and Copala Excellant!

Manzanillo - Colima City, etc.

Ixtapa - Do a tour of the village on your own, especially along the shore front where local artists have their wares - watercolors, textiles, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Don and Kathie

Cabo.... We took the tender in and picked up a water taxis at the boat dock for $10 per person. The taxis took us out to lover's beach at lands end and picked us up at a designated time. You need a good deal of mobility to get in and out of the taxis at the beach, but there were guys working for tips at the beach boosting people in and out of the boats. If you don't think you can hop and and out of the front of the boat, you probably could just get the water taxi to take you around the lands end rock formations and back to the dock. A market with typical touristy Mexican items is right in the part of town where the tenders dock.

Mazatlan...We did the Shopping/Lunch/Beach/Forkloric Show with Papantla Flyers. This was on of the highlights of the trip for us. The only way to get tickets to this show is through a cruise ship tour. They drop you off in the shopping area 2 hours before the show, after the show you walk down to the beach hotel where the tour company reps greet you, sign out towels to you, and show you where the change rooms are. Buffet lunch served at hotel. You have access to the hotels pools and beaches.

PV. We were lucky enough to have friends who were in PV the week of the cruise so we met them at their hotel and hung out with them.

Acapulco .. We did our own tour by arranging a taxis (not a VW Beatle) a the port. We had our driver take us to the Perla for Cliff diving and lunch.

Then we went to a small hotel, Hotel Boca Chica where we bought vouchers for food and drinks, and then went snorkeling in the cove there. We even did a bit of shopping down town and actually found some stuff we were looking for in the cruise ship terminal.

I am thinking that your cruise is a 7 day and will not include Zihuatenjo or Manzanillo. Might not even include Acapulco.

In PV I have heard that you can take a cab into town and there are shops and beach access or you can purchase vouchers at a place like the Crystal Vallarta to utilize the pool, and cover your food and drinks.

The afternoon whale watching tour in Cabo was great. The folks who took the morning tour did not see many whales. On our afternoon tour there were more than we could count, and they came very close to the boat.

Did snokerling in Manzanillo and was very disappointed.

What we like to normally do at a port is take an excurion and then shop and sightsee on our own a bit. Or f we don't take an excursion we kind of wing it all day in port.

With Cabo San Lucas, Maz and PV what would you suggest do at these.no clue at all Where is the best shopping especially silver. Any certain shop to go to etc

I posted a review of our Mercury Mexican Riviera trip on this forum as well as under member reviews. Included in the review was an overview of what we did in each port. Click on my user name then click on "find all posts" and you should find the review on the second page I think. Look for "Mexican Riviera on the Mercury--Review".

Jerry

In Cabo, get on a water taxi and head over to the beach, you will have a wonderful opportunity for a lunch you won'f forget on the beach at The Office. Make sure you are up on Deck or on a balcony coming into this port. It is a sight to behold traveling south and then turing into the bay with the rocks. You can't beleive what it looks like until you see it. The camera will be used alot!

At Mazatlan, definately Randi's Happy Horses, make sure it's the morning trip. There is a beach Lunch of Garlic Shrimp at Victor's that can't be duplicated.

Pueto Vallarta is an amazing city. If you like artwork and sculpture you will find the Malecon amazing. There are stores along the Malecon that you can shop in, and a Sergio Bustamate shop that has some wonderful items and jewelry. Where the ship docks there is a great restaurant where you can find some good Margarita's and some nice bites to eat. We had the Garlic Shrimp here too. Our dollar bill with our names and date was hung here along with everyone elses.

For us, everything was on our own but one fishing trip. The Garlic Shrimp I have to go back for in every port. Along with the Salsa and the Margarita's and Cerveza's.

There are Beach Vendors everywhere for all kinds of silver items. Only some of the specialty stores have the unique heavy pieces. In those venues it's sold by weight. Not sure which port has the excursion to Taxco, but that might be what you want if you are looking for a Silver spree.

Have fun!!!

Hi, Lois,

Yes!! Gracious Good Morning!!

To answer your question, we always book shore excursions directly with Celebrity, and always on-line. We like doing excursions that are basically at least 6 hours in length and include a meal. We have never had a problem....

Kind regards,

Kathie and Don

Hi, Lois,

Yes, it was....please read further along.

Regads,

Kathie and Don

Hi Kathie, thanks:) it is the one port I didn't book anything

on-line.

Have my other 3 excursions booked though;) will do

Mazatlan from the ship. It is too close to my sail date

to do any others on the net.

andersonsrus,

Okay, here goes.

>> In Cabo San Lucas, I recommend one or another of the excursions that includes a boat tour of the natural rock formations called "Los Arcos" (literally, "The Arches"), also called "Land's End" since it's at the tip of the cape. This area is teeming with all kinds of wildlife -- pellicans, sea otters, etc. and it's quite scenic as well. There are many such shore excursions, variously combining it with such other activities as snorkeling, a coastal drive, a couple hours at a beach club (the area has fantastic beaches, BTW), etc.

>> In Mazatlan, the city tour takes in some fantastic artwork and architecture, including the city's cathedral, and a great cultural show featuring the Pampatla Flyers, before heading to the Golden Zone for shopping. The Golden Zone is best avoided (you'll get much better deals at the flea market next to the cruise terminal), but all of the tours seem to go there. :-(

>> In Puerto Vallarta, the city tour is very good. It also takes in very interesting sites, including the shrine church of Our Lady of Guadaloupe (not a cathedral in spite of the misuse of that word in the tour description), which is a replica of the shrine church at the actual site of the famous apparition, and you'll also get to see the city's tower divers (similar to the cliff divers in Acapulco, but with a much closer vantage point). The tour that visits the tequilla distllery is another very good option.

>> Zihuatanejo is still a traditional Mexican fishing village where you'll find the best shopping on the trip. If you go to the end of the tender pier, turn right, and walk up about 1/2 block, you'll be in the heart of the city's shopping district where the locals shop. If you walk a little further up the waterfront, you'll come to the beach where the fishermen still land their fresh catch every morning and sell fish while stowing their gear before taking whatever remains of their catch to the open air market. If you buy a fresh fish, there are several restaurants on the waterfront that will prepare it for your lunch. This is a tender port, though, so you might want to take a short tour in the morning to get ashore without a delay. The resorts in the area are in the new community of Ixtapa, located about ten miles to the north.

>> In Acapulco, there are three distinct sections -- the old city where the ships still dock and the exclusive resort sections to the north and the south. The latter really are a playground of the very rich -- one tour guide pointed out a huge disco where the cover charge was $100 per person several years ago. Here, I recommend taking one or another of the city tours that visits some of each. You won't be able to see everything, so choose whichever of these tours catches your interest with the knowledge that there will be another tour for your next visit.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.

In Cabo, get on a water taxi and head over to the beach, you will have a wonderful opportunity for a lunch you won'f forget on the beach at The Office. Make sure you are up on Deck or on a balcony coming into this port. It is a sight to behold traveling south and then turing into the bay with the rocks. You can't beleive what it looks like until you see it. The camera will be used alot!

At Mazatlan, definately Randi's Happy Horses, make sure it's the morning trip. There is a beach Lunch of Garlic Shrimp at Victor's that can't be duplicated.

Pueto Vallarta is an amazing city. If you like artwork and sculpture you will find the Malecon amazing. There are stores along the Malecon that you can shop in, and a Sergio Bustamate shop that has some wonderful items and jewelry. Where the ship docks there is a great restaurant where you can find some good Margarita's and some nice bites to eat. We had the Garlic Shrimp here too. Our dollar bill with our names and date was hung here along with everyone elses.

For us, everything was on our own but one fishing trip. The Garlic Shrimp I have to go back for in every port. Along with the Salsa and the Margarita's and Cerveza's.

There are Beach Vendors everywhere for all kinds of silver items. Only some of the specialty stores have the unique heavy pieces. In those venues it's sold by weight. Not sure which port has the excursion to Taxco, but that might be what you want if you are looking for a Silver spree.

Have fun!!!

Finelycrusing,

You mentioned you took a ship excursion fishing trip. I've got my husband signed up for the Manzanillo fishing trip on the Mercury's 3/26 cruise . Was that your excursion and if so how was it?

Thanks

Karen

Karen that was the excursion we took...the ships excursion in Manzanillo, the Billfish Capital of of the world. We went way way out, but caught nothing I'm afraid. Not even a sighting. The crew really tried. We were among three boats out, all the same...:( We had looked at the fishing reports shortly before we sailed and it was not promising, the fish were just not hitting. Maybe your luck will be better!!!

Karen that was the excursion we took...the ships excursion in Manzanillo, the Billfish Capital of of the world. We went way way out, but caught nothing I'm afraid. Not even a sighting. The crew really tried. We were among three boats out, all the same...:( We had looked at the fishing reports shortly before we sailed and it was not promising, the fish were just not hitting. Maybe your luck will be better!!!

Finelycruising,

Thanks for your quick response. My husband wonders how large the boat was, how many people were fishing, is it a nice boat, and did you have fun anyway? He did the light-tackle in Key West through Celebrity and caught a 30 lb tuna. Loved it. Unfortunately the camera ate the pictures.

Karen

p.s. my question is how calm was the water in case I join him

I Recently Heard Of A Myth That States That Anyone Who Places Hands On The Door Of A Royal Suite And Prays Will Be Given Priority On Their Next Cruise....is This True?

If on the door...........that is a true statment!

One must actually do exactly what hommebronze is saying to get the true effect!!

OMG............that's a proven fact!!:D :D

Finelycruising,

Thanks for your quick response. My husband wonders how large the boat was, how many people were fishing, is it a nice boat, and did you have fun anyway? He did the light-tackle in Key West through Celebrity and caught a 30 lb tuna. Loved it. Unfortunately the camera ate the pictures.

Karen

p.s. my question is how calm was the water in case I join him

Karen - The boats were all about 40 feet fly bridge types and older craft, a bit less than OK for my tastes. Very different than the open boats in Key West. On this excursion we were NOT able to see land, it was offshore fishing, and it lasted about 5 hours and longer than I think they advertised. This may have been because they felt they needed to out and find the fish, I can't be sure. But that's at least three miles out. There was beverages, water/beer, and some kind of chips and a dip. It was incredibly sunny and hot. So hot I had to get in the cabin and get out of the sun it was so overwhelming. The seas were calm, there is one area outside of the bay where rock cuts sit in the center and there the currents meet and it is just a short pass there that is rough, they fish for the smaller tunney there then it flattens out. The had the outriggers going and were using live bait. Our boat had 4 fishing with the captain and a mate. Check the internet for the fishing reports and see what is being reported. It's an awfully expensive boat ride.

Good for you on your Key West catch!!!

Karen - The boats were all about 40 feet fly bridge types and older craft, a bit less than OK for my tastes. Very different than the open boats in Key West. On this excursion we were NOT able to see land, it was offshore fishing, and it lasted about 5 hours and longer than I think they advertised. This may have been because they felt they needed to out and find the fish, I can't be sure. But that's at least three miles out. There was beverages, water/beer, and some kind of chips and a dip. It was incredibly sunny and hot. So hot I had to get in the cabin and get out of the sun it was so overwhelming. The seas were calm, there is one area outside of the bay where rock cuts sit in the center and there the currents meet and it is just a short pass there that is rough, they fish for the smaller tunney there then it flattens out. The had the outriggers going and were using live bait. Our boat had 4 fishing with the captain and a mate. Check the internet for the fishing reports and see what is being reported. It's an awfully expensive boat ride.

Good for you on your Key West catch!!!

Well we may have to rethink this. Thanks

Karen

Ansersons--we were on the 1/29 11-night Mercury MR cruise and in Cabo we went on a private whale watch tour on a Rissalena catamaran organized by a man from our roll call thread. It included lunch on the cat, and instead of taking the water taxi back to the tender, we walked all the way around past the shops, many of them advertising jewelry and silver.

In Mazatlan, we took the cruiseline's estuaries and birdwatching excursion, which included lunch and beach time, but no shopping. Accordong to the shopping bulletin, there are taxis, Pulmonia (open golf-cart vehicles), and open-air shuttle buses available at the pier to take you to the shopping. It says, "Walking is not recommended due to heavy traffic and poorly paved streets."

In Puerto Vallarta, we took the cruiseline's Highlights Tour, which included shopping time. We don't shop much, but walked the short distance to the sea wall and enjoyed the warmth and the view. There are shops near the pier, but we got back just at boarding time and sailed 1/2 hr later, so didn't have a chance to see what the shops offered.

There will be shopping seminars before each port. Your daily shopping bulletins should give you some info. Looking at them now I see a lot of places mentioned. Of course, they are the stores "guaranteed" by the cruiseline.

You will have a great time on the Mercury. We stopped also at Acapulco, Zihuatenejo/Ixtapa, and Manzanillo. We also booked Mercury for Jan. 20 next year to Aust/NZ and expect another fabulous cruise.

Happy cruising!

Well we may have to rethink this. Thanks

Karen

Karen please don't let my notes on the boat do you in. We saw the boats used for the Key West excursion in October and thought them less than OK too. If you were OK then you may be OK with condtions here too. We own a boat and fish, but we care for our craft and find no reason not to so we are suprised when others don't since everything costs hard earned money and ought to be taken care of in our minds. While we did sign up for the Key West fishing trip, we did not do go because it was a monsoon that day and the whole group was delayed because of the condtions and we opted out. I won't take our boat out in weather like that, so I sure won't cross that line.

Once again Great News on your catch. I hate to take you away from the oportunity unless you watch the internet and find the planets are not lined up. :o

Have a Great Cruise!!!!!

Folks,

I just had to add my 2 cents worth (we were on Mercury 2-9):

Cabo - Whale Watching - excellent ship excursion that served margureita's and nacho's the whole time. We saw many many whales up close - one mother and baby kept swimming under our boat.

PV - We ate lunch at "The Blue Shrimp" - they has 6 inch shrimps. The coconut shrimp was to die for. Also the made to order glacamole.

Mazatlan - We took the ship shore excursion - "Shrimp Fest". This was a at private residence with a huge buffet with 3 kinds of shrimp. They also had a nice one man band playing while we ate. The views were wonderful.

Ixtapa - Shopping! Lots of silver.

Have fun! Mercury is great!

Andersonsrus – We were on the 11 day last march 27 and here’s what we did.

Cabo – we’ve been there several times so didn’t want to do much. Walked the water front a little and then did the swim with the dolphins which is by the tender dock.

Maz. – We went down town by taxi to the big church and then to the markato down town. Then we went on a taxi tour and then to El Cid for the day (you have to give them your sea pass for towels until you bring them back) – a little too crowded for us that day (spring break) so it was only ok not great.

Acapulco – We took a tour with Rosie. We booked it online. Good tour. The fort part was a little long for us but the rest was great. Went to the hotel that Johnny Weissmiller stayed when he was there which was a lot. We went to lunch on a cliff. Then we went to the cliff divers and then to Rosie’s parent’s house for a quick tour of their yard. Very interesting. A little shopping and back to the ship.

Manzanillo – A little walking around down town and then a taxi to the beach. Couldn’t tell you the name of the beach – it was out a ways and is where the locals go. It was ok. We didn’t like the food though.

Zihua – Walked the town (very nice place – our favorite port of the trip) and then took a taxi to La Ropa beach which is on the right side of the bay as the ship is coming in. Went to the very last place on the beach which has a nice view of the ship at anchor in the bay. The food was good and the swimming was ok. Next time we’ll go to the next beach past la ropa. You have to take a water taxi to get there.

PV – We took a taxi down town to the mellicon. We walked around and shopped for a while, had a drink on a balcony over looking the mellicon (watched all the touristas), and then had lunch just down the street – went to the flea market and then back to the ship. It took about ½ hour to get to town and almost an hour to get back to the ship (very bad traffic in PV). The shopping at the ship dock was ok also. If we go there again on a ship we’d go to the Krystal which is 3-4 blocks from the dock, pay the $30-$40 and use all their stuff for the day.

I left out a lot but don’t want to make this too long. We did every thing independent of the ship and saved all that time that you’d normally be standing around while on a cruises ship tour. Have fun.

Archived