Duty charges on liquor

fatcat04

If you're just bringing a few more bottles (3-4) they'll probably wave you on through, as long as they're listed on your customs form. Be sure to list them as it may cost much more if you're caught :eek: .

I've never heard of anyone being charged, so I don't how much the charge is :confused: .

(Keep in mind, if you're flying, the bottles will have to be in your checked luggage.)

I actually looked it up..

US Customs official rule is:

3% of actual cost for duty ++plus++ $2.14 tax per 675ml bottle of liquor past your limit of 1 liter. The tax is lower for wine and beer but the duty is the same.

But the State of FL also imposes a limit on HOW MUCH you can bring in to one of their ports without an importation license. Officially you can only bring in 1 GALLON of beer, wine, or liquor per eligible person (of drinking age).

So for 675ml bottle of liquor, one could only bring in 5 - 675ml bottles due to Florida law.

The duty and taxes on 5 bottles would actually only be applied to 4 bottles due to the first bottle being duty free. Thus if 4 bottles cost $80 total, the duty and taxes would be approx $11. Or so I think... I will put it into practice and report back.

Glad I looked it up... took a while but it was worht it. Bringing back liquid goodies for my family, not available in the states:)

Archived