Water/Pop Carry-on and off?

I know RCI says that you can not bring alchohol on board yourself for consumption, but I can't see anywhere that talks about bottled water and/or soda pop.

We are going in August (hot and humid) so I am thinking about taking bottled water with us. Two simlar questions.

1) Can we carry the water on with us?

2) Can we take the water into port with us (Nassau and CocoCay) if it is still in a sealed bottle.

Thanks.

We have carried on water and soda with no problems...usually take a small soft wheeled cooler. We give our room steward a small tip up front and have them fill the cooler with ice everyday. The small fridges are not very cold. Never had any problem taking bottled water off at ports either.

I know RCI says that you can not bring alchohol on board yourself for consumption, but I can't see anywhere that talks about bottled water and/or soda pop.

We are going in August (hot and humid) so I am thinking about taking bottled water with us. Two simlar questions.

2) Can we take the water into port with us (Nassau and CocoCay) if it is still in a sealed bottle.

Thanks.

We could take the water off at ports and bring it on again, opened or sealed (at all the port stops they actually sell $$ bottled water for you to take off the ship) but we could not bring it on at embarkation or off at debarkation. However, you can drink it while you wait in line to board the ship and after you finish it or they confiscate it, you can buy $$ another from them inside the terminal and take it on the ship. Don't forget a bottle or cup for ship drinks. Juice, coffee and lemonade may be free but usually in tiny glasses/cups and many passengers bring their own cups for a morning size cup of coffee or a drink large enough not to run out before you reach the pool deck. (Also good for ice as the small cups don't allow for ice).

We have had no problem bringing bottled water on the ship. We have had no problem bringing off a bottle for drinking while in port. That's the main reason we bring the bottled water. It's I think 2.50 per bottle on the way off the ship! Just to let you know, we always drink bottled water at home but the water served on board is actually very good and we always drink it.

Thanks all. I did like the water on the ships I have been on, but I am thinking port days are going to be very hot and we will need water and I would rather not pay $2.50 for a bottle of water.

We won't have a refrigerator in our cabin, but I figure warm water is bettern than no water. It will get warm while we are walking any way.:)

Shadowtiger - when the were confiscating water, was it documented somewhere that you could not bring water bottles on the ship? The only thing I read said that water bottles may be checked to make sure you are not smuggling alchohol in them. Gee that sounds like High School.;) Sorry.

Thanks again for the responses.

Thanks.

Since we often leave from home ports, we always take a case or two of water on board with us, depending on how many are in our traveling party, and how long the cruise is. Just use one of the luggage tags provided, and apply it to the case. It will be delivered to your stateroom. We always tip the porter extra for the extra work of removing water from the trunk of our car, etc. Last year when we began a cruise in Vancouver, an Internet friend of mine purchased three cases of water for us at Costco, and I got it from her when we met before we sailed. By the end of the nine days, almost all of the water was gone, and we just left it for our room steward, and they always appreciate that.

Just an FYI, just got an email back from a rep. at Crown and Anchor and it stated that no Soda or Bottled water could be brought on board. It then stated that soda and water could be purchased at all the bars onboard. Now I'm sure this is all about their profits. No doubt in my mind.

We were on the Freedom last week and had NO problems bringing on our pop. In fact, we had one guy in our group carrying most of it on his own hand truck thingie. He had 3 36 packs of pepsi and 6 fridge packs of various products. ( coke and pepsi) Many people looked at him like... wow can he do that? Sure can!!! The only thing is that when you use a hand truck thingie you have to unload each case onto the x ray machine and then reload. No big deal.

Some in the group just put the cans in the fridges in the cabins. We had a soft sided cooler that we asked to be kept full of ice for the week.... no problem. So nice to wake up to an ice cold can of diet coke or pepsi in the morning. ( not everyones cup of tea!!!) We still bought drinks through out the ship and drank the iced tea at dinner... but we just like the convenience of cold drinks in the cabin.

Thanks all. I did like the water on the ships I have been on, but I am thinking port days are going to be very hot and we will need water and I would rather not pay $2.50 for a bottle of water.

We won't have a refrigerator in our cabin, but I figure warm water is bettern than no water. It will get warm while we are walking any way.:)

Shadowtiger - when the were confiscating water, was it documented somewhere that you could not bring water bottles on the ship? The only thing I read said that water bottles may be checked to make sure you are not smuggling alchohol in them. Gee that sounds like High School.;) Sorry.

Yes, alwalaska, there were a few signs at the pier placed where you had to see them as you were in line waiting to board the ship and there were staff workers who stood at trash barrels and had you dump any food and water even if it was not opened. The sign states it's illegal for food to board the ship and to do so could cause the ship personnel to deny boarding. However, as I said we did see some bring on drinks which were right in the open but we saw more who were told they had to toss the drinks in the trash. By the way the trash bucket was full. You can buy water inside the terminal and bring it on the ship but I don't remember the price except that it was much more than the convience store price. We did ask twice (2 different cruise lines) about not being able to bring water on and received about the same answer..."Federal regulations do not allow it". It seems it's not for security reasons but for health reasons. I would love to know if this is the real reason or if it's just they want to get another few dollars from the passengers. Also, we get the drink card so if we were to bring on soda it would actually be our loss and their gain. Another thing is we don't drink much soda at home but at sea out in the hot sun we do and it's always ginger ale as it has no caffeine but so many ships seem to "run out" of this. Then later in the day we switch to mixed drinks with guess what? ginger ale!! Is there a secret code among ships which says no ginger ale till the sun goes down or what? And this new passport law!! Our daughter rushed out to get a passport only to find she didn't need it till next year. Oh well, at least it's done now and she won't be fighting crowds next year. Sorry, don't mean to carry on...I really need this vacation. 49 days and counting down!!!

I have been on 8 cruises and never had a problem bringing on either Soda or Water. On my most recent cruise out of San Juan I went back to the duty free after boarding and purchased 24 cans of Coke with no problems reboarding.

Seems to me that Security is looking for alcohol not soda or water. They day they conficate anything other than alcohol is the day I switch cruise lines.

We were on the Freedom last week and had NO problems bringing on our pop. In fact, we had one guy in our group carrying most of it on his own hand truck thingie. He had 3 36 packs of pepsi and 6 fridge packs of various products. ( coke and pepsi) Many people looked at him like... wow can he do that? Sure can!!! The only thing is that when you use a hand truck thingie you have to unload each case onto the x ray machine and then reload. No big deal.

Some in the group just put the cans in the fridges in the cabins. We had a soft sided cooler that we asked to be kept full of ice for the week.... no problem. So nice to wake up to an ice cold can of diet coke or pepsi in the morning. ( not everyones cup of tea!!!) We still bought drinks through out the ship and drank the iced tea at dinner... but we just like the convenience of cold drinks in the cabin.

And this is actually the reason that RC is now saying "NO" to people carrying on their own soda and water.

This is JUST NOT REASONABLE.

On another thread, a CC poster said that such a person was absolutely NOT allowed to bring his "haul" on board, although others with normal amounts WERE allowed.

Be reasonable, people. You are mucking it up for the rest of us! :mad:

Hi

I actually rather the water be room temp. If you want cooler water, maybe you could use the ice bucket in your room and always have 2 in it to keep cool. We brought a 12 pack and it was just enough for 5 days at port!! Have fun.

bringing a little on to help you get thru the week is realistic...but when you start talking about bringing along 2 wheeler thingies to get it to your cabin that it seems a little excessive...12 or 24 packs ago...but when you say 3 cases of water and 6 cases of pepsi and coke and 6 refrige packs...the whole floor could partake in that party...seems little much...BUT THAT'S MY OPINION...NO FLAME THROWERS PLEASE...i'll be bringing my 2 six packs of 24 oz bottles next week...it'll be in my luggage that5 the porters will relinquish to rccl at the pier...we'll purchase it at the PEUBLO SUPERMARKET in san juan...2 blocks from the hotel...good idea for large cup to come along from home...rccl has little tinky things...you would think after 10 rccl trips that i would put it in the memory bank...

Every cruise we have been on RCI or otherwise we have always brought a 12pk of pepsi and about the same in bottle water onboard. We pack it in our carry on luggage so it does go through the scanner. Never had any problem at all. Now all this is still sealed in the original packaging so they can see we are not smuggling in any booze along with it.

As the previous poster said as long as your bringing a reasonable amount then it should not be a problem.

Your other option for bottle water is to pack some empty bottles and fill them onboard, the water is fine for drinking. We want it for shore time and pool time.

Bev

Just an FYI, just got an email back from a rep. at Crown and Anchor and it stated that no Soda or Bottled water could be brought on board. It then stated that soda and water could be purchased at all the bars onboard. Now I'm sure this is all about their profits. No doubt in my mind.

Thank you for checking. Would it be possible to reply to the email and ask them to reference where this information is coming from? I can't find anything official in the RCI website, but I won't have my cruise docs for some time now.

Thanks.

Thank you for checking. Would it be possible to reply to the email and ask them to reference where this information is coming from? I can't find anything official in the RCI website, but I won't have my cruise docs for some time now.

Thanks.

I sent an email to RCI last night. I'll let you know when I receive an answer.

And this is actually the reason that RC is now saying "NO" to people carrying on their own soda and water.

This is JUST NOT REASONABLE.

On another thread, a CC poster said that such a person was absolutely NOT allowed to bring his "haul" on board, although others with normal amounts WERE allowed.

Be reasonable, people. You are mucking it up for the rest of us! :mad:

Princess actually states that you can bring a reasonable amount for personal consumption. I wish all of the cruise lines had more informative web sites, although the people here are very helpful. ;)

I just called RCCL and asked about bottled soda and water. She said "I'm supposed to tell you no." I said "what does that mean?" and she replied "read between the lines, but Im supposed to tell you no." I then said "but will they check?" and she replied "oh they'll check but I'm supposed to tell you no." Hmmm..what do you think?

Also I understand you can get free water, fruit punch, lemonade and iced tea in the Windjammer. Does anyone know if it's readily available such that you can ever fill water bottles with it? Does anyone know what hours the Windjammer cafe is open for food that you can grab a quick bite if you are doing an extensive excursion?

The water (which tastes great(, ice tea etc were in dispensers just outside the Windjammer on both sides 24/7 on the GOS. They have a sign posting not to refill bottles. You could, however, fill the glass and refill that way. They on the GOS, also had orange juice at that dispenser. Windjammer has posted hours. There were also, hot dogs, pizza and hambergers/fries available at the Solarium later in the evening as well as during the day.

FYI we took a 12 pack of water for port use and had absolutely no problem. I really wouldn't worry about that. Just my opinion.

I like to save money too, but since they do sell bottled water, I am willing to buy onboard. I do not like Diet Coke, I like Diet Pepsi so I will bring one six pack with me. I think that is prudent and fair, the guy with all the cases of soda and bottled water, has taken it to an extreme. They should have put the cabash on that. I can see why the cruiselines are putting the brakes on letting people bring onboard, that guy is a big reason. Sounds to me like he belongs to the Me, Me, Me Society.

I sent an email to RCI last night. I'll let you know when I receive an answer.

Answer received. Took two emails so start at the bottom.

Dear Ms. Xxxxx,Thank you for your e-mail.In regards to your inquiry, you are not allowed to bring bottled water onboard either.Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.Constance WoodCustomer Service Representative[THREAD ID:1-3TB1ZJ]-----Original Message-----From: x.xxxxx@comcast.netSent: 3/12/2007 04:24:24 PMTo: web_reservations@rccl.comSubject: RE: Other What about bottled water? --LiveSTRONG Testicular cancer is greater than 97% curable when diagnosed and treated early. David is alive today due to early detection. Please insist all the men you love perform self examinations monthly. -------------- Original message -------------- From: web_reservations@rccl.com > Dear Ms. Xxxxx, > > Thank you for your e-mail. > > I'm sorry, We do not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This > includes: liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home > made wines). > > Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. > > Sandra Brent > Customer Service Representative > > [THREAD ID:1-3TB1ZJ] > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: x.xxxxx@comcast.net > Sent: 3/10/2007 08:22:19 AM > To: web_reservations@rccl.com > Subject: Other > >Xxxxx,Xxxxxx > Country of Residence: USA > Issue: May I bring one case of Sierra Mist Free soda and one case of bottled water on my cruise? If so, should I carry it on or pack it in my checked > luggage? Thank you.

Vijoge,

Thank you very much for your persistence in this matter and I will leave the water at home.

Since this seems to be an official policy, it really should be on the web site like the alchohol. I would not be happy if I found out at the port and had to leave stuff behind.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Every cruise we have been on RCI or otherwise we have always brought a 12pk of pepsi and about the same in bottle water onboard. We pack it in our carry on luggage so it does go through the scanner. Never had any problem at all. Now all this is still sealed in the original packaging so they can see we are not smuggling in any booze along with it.

As the previous poster said as long as your bringing a reasonable amount then it should not be a problem.

Your other option for bottle water is to pack some empty bottles and fill them onboard, the water is fine for drinking. We want it for shore time and pool time.

Bev

I hope you aren't drinking from the bottles and then going to the dispenser and refilling them..... good way to spread virus....

Use a cup to refill them not directly out of the water dispenser or juice dispenser.

Archived