Assigned tablemates were unfriendly and rude to us

I did not know you could change seating. We have only been on one cruise and we did not know you had to share a table. :eek: We did think it was going to be weird sence it was a booth. But we never saw the other two people. We were on a 7 night cruise and on the 3rd night there was bread all over then we got there and asked what was up! and he said that the people did not like having to share a table and got very angry and left before we even saw them. Every night we would only seat on one size just in case they came we did not want them to feel weird about it as we would have moved on our size. I got to admitt that was a small area for 4 adults. I have very bad ankles for a young person and would not want them kicking me.

We only got a chance to eat lunch in the nice dining twice. we were Busy other times. The first time was different because we sat at a table with a family from China. They did not talk after the food came and we felt like we should respect them. But it was nice to have something different they were not rude and great manners. And they did not give me a stair for ordering my own food. I did not realize that the man ordered for there wifes.

The second time was great there were people there from all over and talking about what they had done on shore and were giving me great advise was new to it all (cruising) It as alot of FUN!

I have kids and could not take some one rude or mean. Plus they would have us seat with another family and if the kids were BAD. I could not take that and probley say sit down we are eatting. We also pray before we eat that might make some mad.

I think everyone should think of others before them selfs and remember that others are on vacation also.:D

We've always had wonderful fun to be with dinner companions. On one cruise, on the first night we were assigned a table with people with limited English...nice but difficult to communicate with. We talked to the Matre'D and were immediately switched to another table for the next night where we met some very interesting people. I noticed later in the week, that in our original table spots, the Matre'D had moved 2 other people, who spoke the same language as the first group we were seated with...so in the end it all worked out.

Conversationist, I am confused as to why you would care what your other table mates thought of you moving to another table? You don't know these people and probably will never see them again. Nobody attacked you they were just saying that you had nothing positive to say. :)

hello, i'm going on the mariner may 6th this will be my first cruise and the table assignments is the one thing thats really concerned me. i'm very shy and not very good at making small talk with strangers. i'm hoping we get a table for 2 but i have heard this is hard to come by most times

First of all, newcruiser, don't believe that his tablemates were rude. If you look at his posts, they are all complaints and most of us just find it hard to believe that HE is not the problem. Most people are interesting and fun. We really have not had rude tablemates ever in 35+ cruises. Hopefully, you will get someone who is very conversational and once you get to know them a little, it will be fun, I promise you! I too, can be quite shy and not knowing what to ask. You will have a great time, and yes, you can change your table if there is a problem.......

hello, i'm going on the mariner may 6th this will be my first cruise and the table assignments is the one thing thats really concerned me. i'm very shy and not very good at making small talk with strangers. i'm hoping we get a table for 2 but i have heard this is hard to come by most times

If you get a table with others, just try asking the others at the table what plans they have made for the week and what they plan to do at each port...and every day after a port stop ask what they did and saw. That will get the conversation going with little needed on your part. You may find yourself so drawn into it that you'll forget you're shy. Also ask if they've been on a cruise before and about what they did and saw before, a great way to get ideas for future cruises.

I have met many wonderful and interesting people that way.

New cruiser do not worry everything will be ok. I understand about hurting others fillings I am a mom and I do not like others to feel sad or hurt because of me. It is a mothers nature to help no hurt. Why this post is on to let others now know that it is ok to have your table seating moved. I did not know that also. I would be sad if I thought I did something to make someone move because of what I said or did. Goes back to treat others the way you would like to be treated and remember your manners at the table. You all are on vacation have fun:D

I'm new to cruising and will be going on my first cruise in November. If I hadn't read this message board I would have probably done the same thing. I thought once you chose your dining and were assigned that you couldn't change your table.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on requesting a new table if it's not working out with your tablemates.

I will definitely keep this in mind.

Some of our tablemates have been the highlight of the cruises I have been on. We had a couple of times that we had slightly negative experiences.... one time we had a guy that complained incessantly about the meal (which was quite good in my estimation.) Thankfully he and his wife left before dessert and the other members of the table sat and talked for a long time afterwards. We initially bonded over our dislike for the guy and there was such a relief that he was gone! He and his wife missed out....we were seated with interesting people with great stories to tell. It was freestyle dining, so that was the only night we got stuck with him....but I would have put up with him every meal to hang out with those other people more!

Another time the people just didn't show up after the first night so three of us were left at this huge table. It was a large family that didn't come to the dining room because they said it was too fancy for them. We saw them around ship afterwards and even had lunch with them one day. Still I missed having a full table.

Those are my worst experiences, so you can see I can't complain. I've met some great people and loved getting to know them. It's one of my favorite things about cruises. On occasion you get people who aren't good at small talk (I don't think I am, but have realized I at least try!), but usually the conversation flows as the week goes on. We're living in a world where a lot of people just don't get out and socialize and sometimes they haven't a clue how to have polite conversation with strangers. It's often worth hanging in there to get to know them. But when it gets down to it, I have never had tablemates spoil a meal or a vacation. I go to relax and enjoy myself so they'd have to work pretty hard to ruin my fun.

I think we all have a responsibility to not be joy stealers. But why sweat the small stuff? Bottom line we have to make our own vacation work for us. As a single person who is always traveling with friends, my rule always is "We are each responsible for our own good time." Sounds simple, but it has taken a lot of responsibility for others and their good times off of me and for those days as far as I am concerned it is all about me! I had one trip ruined because of the whims of other people and when I went back and analyzed it, I figured out that I was the one who had the power to change things all along. I was wearing those ruby slippers and waiting for someone else to take me home! Seemed silly in retrospect.

Some of our tablemates have been the highlight of the cruises I have been on. We had a couple of times that we had slightly negative experiences.... one time we had a guy that complained incessantly about the meal (which was quite good in my estimation.) Thankfully he and his wife left before dessert and the other members of the table sat and talked for a long time afterwards. We initially bonded over our dislike for the guy and there was such a relief that he was gone! He and his wife missed out....we were seated with interesting people with great stories to tell. It was freestyle dining, so that was the only night we got stuck with him....but I would have put up with him every meal to hang out with those other people more!

Another time the people just didn't show up after the first night so three of us were left at this huge table. It was a large family that didn't come to the dining room because they said it was too fancy for them. We saw them around ship afterwards and even had lunch with them one day. Still I missed having a full table.

Those are my worst experiences, so you can see I can't complain. I've met some great people and loved getting to know them. It's one of my favorite things about cruises. On occasion you get people who aren't good at small talk (I don't think I am, but have realized I at least try!), but usually the conversation flows as the week goes on. We're living in a world where a lot of people just don't get out and socialize and sometimes they haven't a clue how to have polite conversation with strangers. It's often worth hanging in there to get to know them. But when it gets down to it, I have never had tablemates spoil a meal or a vacation. I go to relax and enjoy myself so they'd have to work pretty hard to ruin my fun.

I think we all have a responsibility to not be joy stealers. But why sweat the small stuff? Bottom line we have to make our own vacation work for us. As a single person who is always traveling with friends, my rule always is "We are each responsible for our own good time." Sounds simple, but it has taken a lot of responsibility for others and their good times off of me and for those days as far as I am concerned it is all about me! I had one trip ruined because of the whims of other people and when I went back and analyzed it, I figured out that I was the one who had the power to change things all along. I was wearing those ruby slippers and waiting for someone else to take me home! Seemed silly in retrospect.

Just had to say Excellent post!!

Amen!

Christy

• 4 weeks later...
First of all, newcruiser, don't believe that his tablemates were rude. If you look at his posts, they are all complaints and most of us just find it hard to believe that HE is not the problem. Most people are interesting and fun. We really have not had rude tablemates ever in 35+ cruises. Hopefully, you will get someone who is very conversational and once you get to know them a little, it will be fun, I promise you! I too, can be quite shy and not knowing what to ask. You will have a great time, and yes, you can change your table if there is a problem.......

to any new cruisers reading this thread conversationlist and his other sign in name, questioner, are no longer on these boards. this person was just a trouble maker.

to any new cruisers reading this thread conversationlist and his other sign in name, questioner, are no longer on these boards. this person was just a trouble maker.

Momofmeg,

I don't understand why you would pull this thread back up to the top if you don't want new cruiser to see it unless it was just to point fingers at this individual, converstionlist and questioner. This thread was over 20 days old since the last post and I doubt if many new cruiser would have found it.

But as a soon to be first time cruiser, let me share that I actual found this thread to be helpful when I first read it back in March. I might have been one of those individuals who decided to just eat at the buffet if I didn't like my tablemates. Or I might have just put up w/negative tablemates making myself miserable I now know there are different things I can do if I'm unhappy w/my seating assignment.

While you might call conversationlist/questioner a trouble maker, I have found many of those threads helpful. They may have been negative to begin with but with the responses from other CC members I now have the knowledge to deal with those situation if I encounter them on my cruise.

For me that's what these what CC threads are all about. How to make sure I have the best cruise possible. How to handle difficult situation so I do enjoy my cruise. Hopefully with all the knowledge I have gained here, when I return I will be able to submit a glowing review.

Momofmeg,

I don't understand why you would pull this thread back up to the top if you don't want new cruiser to see it unless it was just to point fingers at this individual, converstionlist and questioner. This thread was over 20 days old since the last post and I doubt if many new cruiser would have found it.

But as a soon to be first time cruiser, let me share that I actual found this thread to be helpful when I first read it back in March. I might have been one of those individuals who decided to just eat at the buffet if I didn't like my tablemates. Or I might have just put up w/negative tablemates making myself miserable I now know there are different things I can do if I'm unhappy w/my seating assignment.

While you might call conversationlist/questioner a trouble maker, I have found many of those threads helpful. They may have been negative to begin with but with the responses from other CC members I now have the knowledge to deal with those situation if I encounter them on my cruise.

For me that's what these what CC threads are all about. How to make sure I have the best cruise possible. How to handle difficult situation so I do enjoy my cruise. Hopefully with all the knowledge I have gained here, when I return I will be able to submit a glowing review.

Yes I pulled it up but not very far. It was on page 2. A new cruiser would have looked that far. I just did not want any new cruiser to think this was the way tablemates normally acted. In 12 cruises I have only had one sort've bad experience and even then, it was not terrible, not enough that I wanted to change tables.

But you can change tables, no reason for a person to feel he must eat at the buffet because of a rude tablemate.

I'm cruising for the first time in Jan. I do fear ending up at a table with strained conversation. Or people who dislike kids (or just my kids). Fortunately, the people that sit with me are very lucky indeed! :D

Usually they try to match you with similiar people-if you have kids they will seat you with others that have kids.

I traveled with my teen aged son in March and we had late seating with 5 strangers. It was great. In fact my son actually enjoyed spending an hour or two with people he did not know or indeed, have anything in common with. It was worth the price of the cruise that he learned how to talk pleasantly with strangers and to discover he enjoyed it. We make a point of having sit down family dinners most nights at home. He was always the first to excuse himself. Since the cruise, he lingers much more - for the conversation! I think everyone should try assigned seating.

On our first cruise we were seated with 4 single women. They were of a similar age to us but as we were a couple and they were there to see what was "available" there wasn't much we found to have in common. Frankly my husband and I got quite sick of hearing their stories of the night befores "activities" and started checking the dinner menu to see if we'd bother going or just have pizzas instead! We only ate at our dinner table for half of that first cruise :(

Our second cruise we were seated with 2 other couples our own age and had an absolute blast! We ended up spending most of the cruise together, all six of us running around like idiots together :)

Our third cruise we were seated with 2 people much younger than us, but who were very friendly, and 2 women who were much older than all of us. These 2 women were as rude as rude can possibly get! They refused to make conversation at all, and when they did speak they would whisper to each other and avoid all contact with the rest of us!

We went to the Matre d' the next morning and asked to be moved. It was so horrible to be treated that way, and we didn't pay our money to put up with that for 10 nights! We ran into the younger couple later that day and invited them to join us and they jumped at the chance! We ended up having a wonderful time together. What's funny though is the older 2 women never turned up to our original table again!

If there are any first timers out there who do feel they get stuck with a dodgy group just ask the Matre d' to move you - don't give up the meals that you've paid for for the sake of not sitting with grumpy people :D

On the first evening of our cruise we were in a good and socialible mood. I liked the ship and was having a good time and thought the week was going to be alot of fun, that is until we met our assigned table mates. What an unpleasant group of people. Within a few minutes it was getting painful, just plain painful. I tried to engage people in small talk and be as friendly as I could be but I got no where. I tried to keep the conversation general in nature and not bring up any topics that would hurt anyones feelings, but what ever I said seemed to be taken the wrong way. Actually everyone at the table seemed to dislike each other, not just me. My wife and me lasted with this group for 3 nights before giving up and had to eat at the buffet for the rest of the trip.

Why didn't you ask to be reassigned to a different table?

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids). This will be our very 1st cruise. We will be cruising on the Carnival Miracle. I just wanted to know about the seating arrangement in the dinning room. Are there seatings for 4, 6 or 8???? How does it go about???? Please explain.:o

Thanks

We are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids). This will be our very 1st cruise. We will be cruising on the Carnival Miracle. I just wanted to know about the seating arrangement in the dinning room. Are there seatings for 4, 6 or 8???? How does it go about???? Please explain.:o

Thanks

There are tables for two, four, six, eight and sometimes ten. You can request a certain sized table, but there is no guarantee that is what you will get. Typically the cruise lines try to match families with families, and children the same age. However, that does not always happen either.

• 3 weeks later...

No, I can't relate. On the Elation 2 weeks ago, we were assigned 2 wonderful tablemates. They only came on formal night, and the last night. When they were there, we enjoyed talking with them, and found that we missed them when they weren't. We cruised with our 2 children (7 & 10), and had a great time watching them talk to our tablemates, and practicing their social skills.

No, I can't relate. On the Elation 2 weeks ago, we were assigned 2 wonderful tablemates. They only came on formal night, and the last night. When they were there, we enjoyed talking with them, and found that we missed them when they weren't. We cruised with our 2 children (7 & 10), and had a great time watching them talk to our tablemates, and practicing their social skills.

Just curious, are you in Baraboo? I saw the Greatest Show on Earth as your location.

Archived