Curious, but may be guarded!

cruise182

This may be a guarded secret with NCL and NCLA, but I would be curious as to what the work load and pay for NCLA American employees VS NCL international employees. How many hours do they work? What the pay is? How long are the contracts? Thanks:)

This may be a guarded secret with NCL and NCLA, but I would be curious as to what the work load and pay for NCLA American employees VS NCL international employees. How many hours do they work? What the pay is? How long are the contracts? Thanks:)

Used to be able to access the job adds on NCL.com. Huge difference in pay and contracts. This is my understanding and roughly right

Bar waiter - NCL - 9 month contract - 80 hour week - $1000 draw against tips per month, no real salary. If they earn more they keep it. If they fall short several months no new contract.

NCLA - 3 month contract - 40-60 hour week - $6.50 per hour for the first 40. Time and half after that ($9.75) plus tips.

Cosmopolitan: All personal feelings about unions aside, why is it a bad thing to have at least minimum pay standards for cruise ship employees? Just curious, especially considering how much we all discuss the fact that "tips" aren't actually tips for the international crews, but are salary. In lieu of charging us higher fares and paying a higher wage, the cruise lines have us make up the difference in "tips" (or service fee or whatever term they want to use).

beachchick

Cosmopolitan: All personal feelings about unions aside, why is it a bad thing to have at least minimum pay standards for cruise ship employees? Just curious, especially considering how much we all discuss the fact that "tips" aren't actually tips for the international crews, but are salary. In lieu of charging us higher fares and paying a higher wage, the cruise lines have us make up the difference in "tips" (or service fee or whatever term they want to use).

beachchick

Which minimum salary would you use, since the crew comes from so many countries, at least 50 countries on the Dream last December?

The country paying the highest minimum wage, or the lowest?

Why would they have to use a specific country's minimum or wage standard? Why not just come up with a salary that they actually believe to be fair. By factoring in a good deal of the "tip" salary, it would be possible to come up with some reasonable base salaries.

beachchick

It's likely that the "wages" now being paid IS what NCL/NCLA feels is fair. After all the ships are sailing and people are cruising albeit no without complaints on NCLA.

It's relavent... by whose standard is the $$$ based? Personally, I wouldn't work NCLA ships for what they pay. Not many would. I think the work conditions are terrible on cruise ships. Would be interesting to read surveys on why Americans are working on cruise ships.

It's likely that the "wages" now being paid IS what NCL/NCLA feels is fair. After all the ships are sailing and people are cruising albeit no without complaints on NCLA.

It's relavent... by whose standard is the $$$ based? Personally, I wouldn't work NCLA ships for what they pay. Not many would. I think the work conditions are terrible on cruise ships. Would be interesting to read surveys on why Americans are working on cruise ships.

That is funny. I think I might have taken a job on NCLA years ago. Worked my way thru college as a waiter and then a bartender. It could have been a chance to build a little cash reserve. Work for a year with no responsibilities. No rent, no car payment, no insurance. See HI. Take the cash and get on with the rest of my life.

A little off-topic, I realize, but we had a very interesting conversation on our first cruise on the old NCL Sea with one of the waitresses. She was from Indonesia, and during the conversation made an interesting comment about her pay on the cruise line.

She was quite young, and said that she signed her first contract in order to get enough money to finish college -- using the same rationale that Shoreguy mentioned. What she found, to her astonishment, was that she made enough money during that first 9 month contract that she couldn't afford to quit and go back to school. She told us that the amount she earned during that 9 months was more than most college graduates in Indonesia earn annually -- including most doctors and attorneys.

When we had the pleasure of meeting her, she was just finishing up her third contract, had more than enough money saved to pay her entire college costs, and was trying to decide if she wanted to sign on again and build up that nest-egg a little more, or finally complete her college career.

After our convrsation with her, I don't know that the international crew would be thrilled with the idea of working for a set salary, instead of tips. We ended up having her as our waitress 3 nights during the cruise -- twice by luck, once by request, and did leave her an additional tip for the service she provided.

Our waitstaff said that NCL paid him more than HAL did his brothers. That he wanted towork HAL to be closer to his two brothers but that the deal was so much better on NCL that he just had to take it. So.... I wonder what HAL etc pays.

That is funny. I think I might have taken a job on NCLA years ago. Worked my way thru college as a waiter and then a bartender. It could have been a chance to build a little cash reserve. Work for a year with no responsibilities. No rent, no car payment, no insurance. See HI. Take the cash and get on with the rest of my life.

I absolutely agree, if I were 20 years younger, I would do this in a heartbeat.

Ute Fan we are back from the Jewel! Awesome time and a beautiful ship! Must be nice to have another cruise to look forward to. :) Our TA is thinking of doing an all-inclusive next year but I think most of us would rather do a cruise.

We ate at Cagney's 3 nights and there were 2 waitstaff we specifically requested, Noel and Marjorie. Noel we were able to tip extra but Marjorie wasn't available so we missed tipping her.

So to get back on topic, it seems that what you and shoreguy are saying rebutts those threads and posts which propose to claim that auto tipping promotes poorer service. Agreed!

Hey Packercruising -- glad to hear you enjoyed the Jewel as much as we did. I'm very excited to be returning to Alaska -- and especially to be going on the Pearl.

For the most part, we've received excellent service on NCL ships. While I don't have anything to compare it to, there have only been a couple of instances where we received anything that wasn't great service. I'm a big fan of the auto tipping, as I wouldn't want to be spending my last night trying to find people in order to give them their tip envelopes.

We've also really enjoyed visiting with the crew. Many of them, from the wait staff to the room stewards, are thrilled when you take the opportunity to carry on a conversation with them. The ones we've visited with enjoy talking about their home countries and their families, and we've learned so much from our conversations.

Hey Packercruising -- glad to hear you enjoyed the Jewel as much as we did. I'm very excited to be returning to Alaska -- and especially to be going on the Pearl.

For the most part, we've received excellent service on NCL ships. While I don't have anything to compare it to, there have only been a couple of instances where we received anything that wasn't great service. I'm a big fan of the auto tipping, as I wouldn't want to be spending my last night trying to find people in order to give them their tip envelopes.

We've also really enjoyed visiting with the crew. Many of them, from the wait staff to the room stewards, are thrilled when you take the opportunity to carry on a conversation with them. The ones we've visited with enjoy talking about their home countries and their families, and we've learned so much from our conversations.

Enjly your Alaskan cruise ute-fan; glad you have something to look forward to now that Utah isn't going to March Madness, at least I doubt they will. SDS and NM certainly aren't. I know this is off the subject, but I had to mention it. NMNita

We gave up on this season starting about the middle of December. It's been the most depressing season ever -- so I'm really glad to have a cruise to look forward to :D !

We loved Alaska and are very excited to be returning. Any specific hints??

NCLA - 3 month contract - 40-60 hour week - $6.50 per hour for the first 40. Time and half after that ($9.75) plus tips.

I agree with Shoreguy; if I was younger I would do this in a heartbeat. Heck, if I had known about this a couple of years back I would have suggested it to my daughter.

Twenty some odd yrs ago I was a waitress in a Downtown Chicago restaurant, I earned $.55 an hr plus tips (no benefits either). I made great tips - the secret - give great service and make a person feel special. I keep reading reviews that say the service on the NCLA ships is not that great, if they would realize go that extra little step and increase their tips (most of the time that is - I know some people don't believe in tipping) they could make a lot more.

Hopefully on our upcoming and 1st cruise our servers will have this philosphy!

I grew up in a summer resort area, and most service jobs were filled by high school and college students. It was a way for kids to earn some money, but also to be in a fun place and have a good time.:D Of course that doesn't generally translate to the kind of service provided by someone who has been doing it for several years, and is making a career of it.:)

We did Alaska on the HAL but it was around the same time you are going. The weather is pretty unpredicatble no matter when you go, it seems like. The Kenai Fjords are a must see. We saw so many otters and whales we cancelled our whale watching tour in Juneau. You've been there before so you know how scenic it is. I wouldn't pass up another chance to go, that's for sure!

Have a great time!

We've also really enjoyed visiting with the crew. Many of them, from the wait staff to the room stewards, are thrilled when you take the opportunity to carry on a conversation with them.

I really enjoy talking with them too - I love to hear their perspectives on things (and in some ways can completely relate)... unfortunately, the prevailing theme in just about every staff conversation I had last week on POH was negative. Wow... are they unhappy. :( I mean really... you give someone just the tiniest little indication that you're interested, and they'll tell some really interesting tales.

And it makes you a little sad for them.

Paying a set salary to cruise ship employees leaves many of them open to paying income tax on their earnings. With Americans working on an American ship, it doesn't matter. They legally must go this route. But for the rest of us, getting paid a set hourly wage or a set salary and being required to pay income taxes on it would take a huge bite out of our earnings. Many would choose to take jobs in another industry if this happened.

Interesting comment, Thunderfox. We haven't sailed (at least not yet) on one of the NCLA ships, so my comment was based on the international crew from the regular NCL ships. In spite of the working hours and long contracts requiring months away from their families, we haven't heard a complaint yet.

We've been able to get a "yes, it's hard to not see your family for so long" comment, but that's about it. I wonder if your conversations with the NCLA employees are indicative of ongoing staffing/morale problems on the NCLA ships.

Hi, I have read your posts, and understand you work for a cruise line. I read one post where you said that room stewards get floors according to how well they do. My question is this, If I am on say 5th floor with an aft room , (where I paid premium money , same as higher floor), will my room steward not be as good ? Thank you , and sorry this is not keeping with the tread. I wanted to be sure you read it.:)

I wonder if your conversations with the NCLA employees are indicative of ongoing staffing/morale problems on the NCLA ships.

Definitely. On other cruises I have also heard the most common "complaint" being that employees miss their home and families. On POH, I don't really recally anyone say they missed home/family/friends. They were more interested in talking about when their contract was up and complaining about assorted problems behind the scenes.

Archived