Regensberg, Germany

marycang

We leave from this port on our May 19, 2007 river cruise. We will be coming from Munich. We favor small towns over large cities like Munich. Is Regensberg worth 2 days over 2 days in Munich. What is the must see or do in Regensberg.

We leave from this port on our May 19, 2007 river cruise. We will be coming from Munich. We favor small towns over large cities like Munich. Is Regensberg worth 2 days over 2 days in Munich. What is the must see or do in Regensberg.

It has been several years, but we have been to both. I was about to say spend the time in Munich,but I asked my wife and she said no, spend it in Regensberg. We then had a big heated discussion.

Regensberg is a medium size city, not a small town. I recall that we drove in late night, found our hotel, and I drove to the city garage to park. Our hotel was nice, across the street from the cathedral. Our room faced the cathedral. At about 0700 the next morning the church bells started ringing, and ringing, and ringing. At that point we may have become atheists. The next morning the bells rang again. But my wife was ready. She counted the number of ringings. The count was 102. I am serious, the bells rang 102 times. We thought it was the job of a junior priest. On our full day in the city we went to the center, had lunch at a café next to the Rathaus (city hall), then visited the old jail, where there was a torture chamber where the innocent were made to confess in the middle ages. This is my memory of Regensberg.

Munich is memorable for its museums and the Rathaus. We had lunch at a café across the square from the Rathaus and watched a band and dancing on a stage in front of it. We also watched the famous clock in the tower send its little people out at each 15 minutes. Another time we ate in the Rathskeller and listened to Germans talking in a booth next to ours, switching effortlessly back and forth from German to English. Then there is the great large beer hall where everyone sings and drinks large amounts of beer. In the basement, my wife asked for a glass of wine and was told that was not possible. She would have to go upstairs for that. We stayed and sat with a young German Navy officer who had trained in the U. S.

So my wife and I disagree, not for the first time. If you had three or more days, I would say " go to Prague", but for only two it probably would not be possible. So there you have it. Wherever you go it will be great.

Bob :cool:

marycang,

I compiled some information about Regensburg

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=391735&highlight=regensburg

You shouldn´t ask me whether

Munich or Regensburg. Sure, I´d opt for Munich as I´m living there. 2 days might be enough for Regensburg, you can spend much more time in Munich. It depends on what you love to see. If you´re in arts Munich is a perfect spot. If you want to see historic buildings then Regensburg is the better place.

There´s lots to do in both towns. If you have any specific question don´t hesitate to ask.

steamboats

We began our river cruise in December from Regensburg. We loved the town! Our short time there convinced us we'd love to have a week there! So many narrow alleys and lots of little shops to explore.

We flew into Munich and were bussed to Regensburg, so I can't say one is better than the other. But I know we were left with a strong desire for more time in Regensburg.

jettaleea

Our cruise took us to Regensburg in the fall last year. They have the best sausages on the planet! There is a vendor there that has been in the same location for a couple hundred years. I think they have perfected the recipe! I could have eaten a dozen of them. They are right near a wonderful bridge with lovely arches. I would be very happy to spend two days there. We only had a couple hours. I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Buck

Like Steamboats, I live in Munich, and I have friends in Regensburg so I am pretty familiar with both cities. I am also an American expat, so assuming you are also from the N. American continent, I figure you are arriving from there to Munich on an overnight flight. Personally, I know how jet-lagged I am the first day or two overseas and although I LOVE Munich (I happily live here), I think your best bet would be to hop on the S-bahn into Munich's Hauptbahnhof and immediately back out on a train to Regensburg (they go every hour or so). Check into your hotel (you want to stay in the Altstadt or right by the Donau), walk around the city and try to stay awake at least til early evening. Then the next day you can explore Regensburg properly. For a day (or day and a half) there is plenty to do and eat. :)

By the way, Bobblsc mentioned the Glockenspiel in Munich but they are doing work on it for at least a few months. Getting ready for the 850th anniversary of the city in 2008.

Is Regensberg worth 2 days over 2 days in Munich.

No, it is not. Munich has a far greater sightseeing, shopping, cultural value for a visitor than Regensburg.

However, it is your vacation, so you call the shots.

We favor small towns over large cities like Munich.

EURiverCruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help and info. We planned 2 nites in Regensburg until we discovered that there is a 4 day athletic/marathon from May 17 to 20. So we will stay 1 nite in Munich and the nite b4 our cruise in Regensburg. Life is what happens when you are planning your own little trip.

Thanks. Mary

Hi Mary, If you need/want the nickel tour of Munich, I'd be happy to show you around - presuming I am in the city on Sat. I am probably not going to be on the boards much from today until April 30th when I return from my pre-wedding & wedding trip back to the USA and honeymoon cruise (12 day transatlantic) but feel free to post here if you are interested. Or if you want to do it on your own, but need advice on where to stay or eat, I can also help with that. Kathy

Kathy

Thanks for the wonderful offer. We arrive mid-afternoon on the train from Bolzano, Italy. We have a hotel very close to the train station, just thought we will walk to the Marienplatz area and have dinner at the Augustiner. We definitely want to go to Dachau the next morning and then catch a train to Regensburg for 1 nite. Any suggestions?

Thanks Mary

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure what day of the week you will be here (I said Sat in my post, but May 17 is a Thurs). This is what happens when you go away for three weeks - you lose all sense of time. Transatlantic was great - even with pretty bad weather.

Okay, back to tour guide duties. If you are here on the 17th, that is a public holiday so most shops will be closed. Restaurants are still open and most tourist sites. It is a Catholic holiday, so you can go in the churches, but be prepared for services (i.e. no touring). If it is Sat that you are here, definitely wander around the Marienplatz - there are about 5 pretty churches in a 10 min radius - Alte St. Peter, Frauenkirche, St. Michaels on Kaufingerstr. (if the crypt is open check it out - Mad King Ludwig is buried there, plus it is creepy/interesting, Theaterinkirche (?), Assamkirche (on Sendlingerstr.). Grab some snacks at the Viktualienmarkt (which would be closed on the 17th). The V-markt is celebrating its 200th anniversary so they are doing celebrations throughout the year for it. You might get to see a special event, but it is still nice to wander through no matter what. The Augustiner Bierhalle is a nice place for dinner and very close to where you will be. I have only driven by car to Dachau, but I think you can do a S-bahn/bus combo there or take a guided tour. The town of Dachau is really quite cute (sad, isn't it?), so if you do it on your own, take time to see the town also. Then you can catch the Sbahn back into Munich, grab your luggage and back out to the Hauptbahnhof for your train to R-burg.

Have fun!

Mary,

Here´s the website for Dachau and the instructions for public transportation

http://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/englisch/frame/besucherinfo.htm

As Pat mentioned May 17th is a Catholic holiday and it´s also Father´s Day. Restaurants are definitely open, so are museums, churches... As you´re arriving by train there´s a Tourist Information right outside the Central Train Station (to the right) where you can grab a map. You will also find the double decker busses doing sightseeing tours. I highly recommend the Grey Line Busses (the blue ones, right opposite the entrance of the train station). It´s a narrated 1 hour tour (of course in English and German) for 11 EUR per person. I did that last year with friends visiting from the US. For public transportation I highly recommend to take the Partner Day Ticket Innenraum (9 EUR, for the first day) and the Partner Day Ticket Gesamtnetz (18 EUR,for your trip to Dachau). Cancel it and it´s valid for up to 5 adults a whole day long.

steamboats

Archived