I support the Airline Passenger Bill of Rights, do you?

conversationist

I think the cruise industry also needs to have some passenger rights legislation passed. Right now any cruise ship can just pull out from the dock and drop anchor, at the whim of the Captain and then return to port one week later and according to the cruise contract the passengers can do nothing about it. Some cruise lines are taking advantage of this fact and using this as an excuse to deliver less than was promised.
Depends on which end of the telescope you use to see it. The cruise line has actually promised to do no more than to sail from the dock and to return to it one week later. So they are always delivering exactly what was promised.

I'm not sure what everyone would prefer, in either case: Should the airline or cruise line fly or sail the planned itinerary, regardless of feasibility or safety? That is what any bill of rights will tend to push them to do.

We also need to recognise why we are where we are with airlines. The snarl-ups happen because there is no fat in the system, no margin to allow for things going wrong. Once anything goes wrong, the entire system falls flat on its face. Why is there no fat and no margin? Because everyone is looking to save the last $10 on their air fare. Make no mistake: the one has had a dramatic effect on the other.

[Edited to add:] I see that the OP has been trolling about this issue, anyway - see here, here and here.

• 2 weeks later...

Though I might support some of the principles of a PBoR (fair and reasonable treatment), it's another invitation for the trial lawyers to fatten up at the airline corporate trough. And if you don't know who ends up paying for that in the end, Santa Claus has a nice no-cost penthouse upgrade waiting for you for your next cruise.

(FWIW, there is a handicapped man in SFO who has made an industry of suing restaurants and businesses over the minute details of the ADA. In court documents, it was revealed that he is averaging over $800,000 per year from these suits. So just imagine the lawyers setting up shop in the UA terminal at ORD, for instance)

(Further mental picture for your consideration -- lawyer in gray suit and wingtips, walking through a concourse wearing a sandwich board reading: "If your flight's delayed, see us at Dewey, Cheatham and Howe". And passing out business cards like the street barkers in Times Square.)

Archived