Discount Wine in San Francisco

traveling1969

Can anyone tell me where to buy wine in San Francisco. We're looking for a discount store with a large selection. We are staying in the Fisherman's wharf area but we have a rental car so driving a few miles wouldn't be a problem. We are planning a trip to Muir Woods so something to the north of SF would be good as well. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Actually our Grocery stores usually have a good wine selection and good prices.

Safeway is a major chain, that is close by and also Trader Joe's is a great little chain with good prices and selections.

SAFEWAY

15 Marina Blvd

San Francisco, CA 94123

SAFEWAY

110 E. Strawberry Dr.

Mill Valley, CA 94941

Trader Joe’s

San Francisco (19)

401 Bay Street

San Francisco, CA 94133

415-351-1013

Ps: you can go to their websites for driving directions, safeway.com and traderjoes.com

No membership required to enter Safeway - it's a conventional grocery chain. You might want to pick up their frequent shopper card, as you will get a better price on sale wines and 10% off a six pack (you can mix & match). At least that's what Von's, a Southern California supermarket chain owned by Safeway, does.

I also recommend Trader Joe's - the one posted by Jan is very close to Fisherman's Wharf. They have a selection of wines from around the world at very good prices, and it's a fun place to shop for food items, too - it's a very unconventional grocery store!

Don't turn up your nose at Trader Joe's "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw wine, $1.99 a bottle). It can be quite drinkable (Chardonnay, Shiraz, Merlot, Cabernet). TJ's (as it is called in CA) is also a great place to pick up some cheese and other snacks for an impromptu picnic lunch before you sail.

Thanks to you all for that info on Safeway and Trader Joes!!! I think that I saw both across the street in SF from the Tuscan Inn in some photos that were posted here on cc. That would be very convenient!!!:D Trader Joes does spark my interest a bit more than Safeway!!! Thanks again!

Trader Joes does spark my interest a bit more than Safeway!!! Thanks again!

Just be careful. I usually go in with 5 or 6 things on my list and come out $100 poorer. I took my stepmother in there just to show it to her and she dropped $50 in the blink of an eye. It's a very dangerous, very fun place to shop!:D

If you are a wine person I would recommend the Wine Club. It is a great wine store - it does look like a warehouse. The folks know their wines. Great selections from all over the world. Its a rather grungy part of town but they do have a small parking lot thats free.

If you do a search you will find Wine Clubs in San Francisco, Santa Clara and Santa Ana.

If you plan to go to the Ferry Bldg.on the Embarcadero, there is a wine bar/shop where you can taste/drink/eat!! There are also numerous specialty (read expensive) shops, including cheese, mushroom, chocolate, etc. I put together a great roast lamb dinner/wine/cheese/dessert picnic that I took back to have on my Radiance OS balcony while watching the fog and then sunset over the GG bridge--a highlight of the cruise.

Beverages and More (BevMo) is another chain with a huge selection (and free savings card).

You might also search the superpages.com link at the top of this page.

Another option is Cost Plus World Market. There is one very close to Pier 39:

Cost Plus World Market

2552 Taylor St, San Francisco, CA

(415) 928-6200

They have a nice selection of wines from around the world, at reasonable prices.

Yep, I forgot about Cost Plus, another good choice! But Trader Joes is still my favorite! The Ferry Bldg market is pretty pricey, but I like to walk through there and ogle all the gourmet selections!;)

Thanks to all of you for the great info. These boards are like having thousands of travel agents working to make one's trip a success. When you take the time to answer someone's questions, you should be rewarded. When we return fron our Dawn Princess cruise and I write my review, I will be sure to mention all the help I received here. Thanks again and Bon Voyage to all!

Archived