Taking a taxi without car seats?

Host Jacquelyn

Last year we flew to Miami with a 3 year old and he did not need a carseat on the flight. Then when we landed in Miami we had a limo meet us at the airport with a carseat to take us to our hotel. You can also arrange for a large van that will provide a carseat........you just have to plan it ahead of time. I would not just show up expecting to find transportation with a carseat. You might be waiting all day. Arrange it ahead of time.

Last year we flew to Miami with a 3 year old and he did not need a carseat on the flight. Then when we landed in Miami we had a limo meet us at the airport with a carseat to take us to our hotel. You can also arrange for a large van that will provide a carseat........you just have to plan it ahead of time. I would not just show up expecting to find transportation with a carseat. You might be waiting all day. Arrange it ahead of time.

Yep, we do the same thing. When we arrange for private transport, we make sure they have carseats waiting for us (usually $10 rental fee).

If anyone is interested in a Miami/FLL hotel, we stayed at the Trump Sonesta. They have a complimentary shuttle that will take their guests to local shopping areas and restaurants. They had a carseat in the shuttle. It worked out well for us because we didn't have to cart our own around with us which can get awkward.

I have a question about bring a car seat also. We are going to Fl and Bahamas and GBI in May. We have excurtions set up thru the cruise line. It looks like we will be drving around on minibuses on the excurtions. Will I be able to hook up the car seat in a minibus? Do they have seat belts?

I have a question about bring a car seat also. We are going to Fl and Bahamas and GBI in May. We have excurtions set up thru the cruise line. It looks like we will be drving around on minibuses on the excurtions. Will I be able to hook up the car seat in a minibus? Do they have seat belts?

All I can say is, it depends. :)

Some mini buses do have seat belts. Some excursions use vans, they usually have seatbelts. On a full sized bus, no seat belt and they will make you stow the seat under the bus in the storage.

I usually don't have a problem finding seatbelts in the Bahamas. But you just never know. ;)

I do agree with you ...except for the word "can't". It shouldn't be refused, but it happened to me.

A year ago, a flight attendant (on a US airline) threatened to throw me off a plane when I objected to her refusal to allow me to install my son's car seat. It had an FAA sticker. She insisted I hold my 30+ lb son the entire flight.

When I got home, I complained to the airline. They did give me air miles to compensate for it.

I don't even try to bring a car seat on the plane anymore. I put it in checked luggage.[/quote]

That Flight Attendant was in the wrong. It's your RIGHT to use a car seat on a U.S. flagship if it has a FAA sticker. Please report these people! I would get the name of the F/A in question and report them. There is no excuse. We were told that in training but some people just get overwhelmed with all the information and forget. It's in their manual. Ask them to look it up.

Here's the quote from the FAA;

Under the provisions in parts 121, 125, and 135, no certificate holder may prohibit a child from

using an approved CRS when the parent/guardian purchases a ticket for the child.

Here is the advisory circular that it came from and some of you may want to print it up before your next trip;

http://web.nbaa.org/public/ops/ac/AC120-87A.pdf

It's on page 7 as point "e".

Remember this only applies to U.S. companies. You are not necessarily protected under law elsewhere.

Always ask to see the purser before things get heated with incidents like these.

There are dimwits in every profession and F/A's are no exception. I "caught" a coworker telling parents to remove their child from a seat for take-off. Ouch! I apologized to the parents.

Checking car seats in the hold is risky. They can easily be lost and/or damaged. On my last flight, three of our four bags didn't make it but I had my car seat with me and my daughter was safe on the 2 hour drive home.

It can also be iffy using car seats provided by rental companies. They can be nasty at best, dangerous and expired at worst. So far, there isn't a good booster-replacement for travel. Someone needs to design one ("banana" adjusters put the seatbelt too high and can result in injury).

Two seats for toddlers I can recommend are the Radian65 which keeps kids in 5 point harnesses up to 65lbs. Much safer than boosters for 3 and 4 year olds. It folds so it's nice for travel and could fit under a bed (depends on how low). Also, the Cosco Scenera is a good standard seat which is cheap and lightweight.

http://www.amazon.com/Cosco-Scenera-Convertible-Point-Seat/dp/B000GY5OBA

Radian 65

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Radian65-Convertible-Seat/dp/B000G7YM0Q

Here are also some car seat transport products that some of you might find useful;

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html

http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Attach-Rolling-Carry/dp/B000JHN3AS

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/osa/363756.html

I'm not promoting any of those sites, by the way.

In case you're wondering, yes, we have had this dilemma in our family and yes, sometimes my kids had rode in ways I was uncomfortable with but I'm not perfect and that's life. My main issue is just to keep you informed and to be aware of your choices. I'm not a judging anyone but know your risks and options before deciding.

...and please don't let any idiots convince you to not fly safely with your child. You were right and they were wrong. Don't let past experiences haunt you!!

Have good cruises everyone,

I did report the flight attendant, both to the gate agent on the other end, and to customer service. Both agreed that i was in the right.

DS is now too big for a car seat on the plane. His legs just get brought up right against the seat in front of him and he kicks the person in front of him again......and again........and again........and again. I often book one his siblings in the seat in front. :p

Just want to clarify something...it was mentioned on the link provided by Michelle that a "cruise sponsored excursion bus" was the safer way to go when traveling with small children.

My grandchildren will be 19 months and 9 months when we cruise in August. Does this mean that if we do an excursion from Carnival that there will be a way to safely transport the little ones?

I was kind of figuring on mostly just walking around town, or doing things that did not require long transportation.

Just want to clarify something...it was mentioned on the link provided by Michelle that a "cruise sponsored excursion bus" was the safer way to go when traveling with small children.

Well just to clarify, a "cruise sponsored excursion bus" is safer if you plan not to use a car seat when going to the Carribean.

You see, some parents choose not to use any car seats in taxis in the Carribean, that's just a bad idea. :eek:

I have travel car seats now that I take (since I first posted that back in March 07). So instead of avoiding taxis or excursion vans, we can now use them by bringing the travel car seats.

But if you aren't planning on bringing any car seats, then try to stick with the excursion buses. On buses there are no seat belts so they don't allow car seats on them anyway.

Eclipsepearl, you've been a wealth of information about flying with kids. I was nervous before my 2 y/o DD's first flight back in January and I got a lot out of your blog/article I found posted here somewhere.

I thought I'd add my experience of flying with a convertible car seat. We had 4 flight "legs", so boarded 4 different flights. We never had anyone deny us taking the car seat on board to use, but half the time we were asked if we were going to gate check it. We used the pre-boarding option so my DH could go install it ahead of us. My DD was very good in her car seat b/c she is used to it being required when we travel [on land]. I do expect she would have tried to be a wiggle worm if not strapped in. As it turned out, one two hour flight she spent the WHOLE time coloring on the tray table (OK, a color book on the tray table...don't get the wrong idea), which was exactly at the right place in her lap b/c she was elevated by the car seat.

Count me as a vote for car seats on planes.

Now for taxis...which was the OP question. On our DD's first cruise we drove to port and brought with us a "throw away" car seat. We had one day we were going to hire a taxi in Roatan and I knew would want a car seat. So, we bought our neighbor's used car seat pretty cheap, took it with us in the car, brought it with us on the ship, stored it in the closet, used it in Roatan (we found a minivan taxi that had seat belts...found it pretty easy), then left the car seat with the taxi driver as a bonus. He was very interested in having a car seat. I told him he could use it as an advantage to get fares, being able to say "I have a car seat." I think he was more excited to have it b/c he had a baby at home. Maybe he just sold it. I don't know. But if you're in Roatan, there could be a taxi with a car seat! [Note: The car seat we left behind was NOT the car seat DD rode in to the port in the U.S. Yes, we still had one for going home...we just didn't have to put up with it in the closet in our cabin the whole time.]

Hello everyone!

I got a travel carseat that Michele/cruisinmama06 had posted on another thread. I got it off of Amazon for about $37. It folds and would fit in a bag. I don't know about airlines because we are driving to our port but it should work for the taxis. I don't know how to post a pic or I would.. Maybe cruisinmama would be kind enough to do it for us..

Hello everyone!

I got a travel carseat that Michele/cruisinmama06 had posted on another thread. I got it off of Amazon for about $37. It folds and would fit in a bag. I don't know about airlines because we are driving to our port but it should work for the taxis. I don't know how to post a pic or I would.. Maybe cruisinmama would be kind enough to do it for us..

Well Amazon jacked the price up to $89.99 :eek: . The link we have been putting here must have made them think they can raise the price. :rolleyes:

So here it is on another site for $39.95

http://www.babydirect.com/p-5929-eddie-bauer-portable-car-seat-in-bryant-collection.aspx

What would you suggest we do for carseats for 8 month old twins? I'm stressed about taking car seats and strollers for both kids. We were planning on just going to the beach at each port. We won't be flying.

Thanks!

The taxi rise from the airport to the sea port is only 15-20 min so we do not use car seats, we just hold our son in the middle of the back seat between us. If you expect to spend considerable amount of time on your trip riding cabs, then it's worth carrying it, but for two 15 min rides it's not worth it (I know not everyone agrees with this, this is just my take). Plus, you will have to find space for them in the cabin and unless you have a suite space is not that abundant in cabins; the stroller and toys take up a lot of space anyway.

Don't know where you are riding in a cab without a car seat, but from what I have read, in Florida it is against the law for children 3 and under to ride in any vehicle without a car seat (excluding public busses).

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/Safety/HighwaySafetyGrantProgram/hsgp/HSGPareas_OccupantFAQ.htm

In Washington (where I live) children under 8 or under 4' 9" tall must be in a restraint (either booster or car seat). Cabs are no exception.

I personally wouldn't ride in a car for 15-20 minutes without a seatbelt so I definitely wouldn't allow my child to ride without being restrained.

Just my take on it...

Don't know where you are riding in a cab without a car seat, but from what I have read, in Florida it is against the law for children 3 and under to ride in any vehicle without a car seat (excluding public busses).

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/Safety/HighwaySafetyGrantProgram/hsgp/HSGPareas_OccupantFAQ.htm

In Washington (where I live) children under 8 or under 4' 9" tall must be in a restraint (either booster or car seat). Cabs are no exception.

I personally wouldn't ride in a car for 15-20 minutes without a seatbelt so I definitely wouldn't allow my child to ride without being restrained.

Just my take on it...

You're right. When we get taxis at the Miami airport, the first question is always "Where's your car seat?" ;)

And to thewolffs - Sorry but if they are going in a taxi on an island, you should really try to lug the carseats. At 8 months, what kind of car seats are they in now? Are they still in the carrier car seat or have they moved to a rear facing convertible? I have lugged our carrier car seats on a ship...which were nice to have because it gave us a seat to put the baby in when we went to dinner. :)

I googled San Juan taxi and came up with a few services. One for Jose Nin , master@taxivansanjuan.com, and he quoted me a price of $9 per person, children half-price, and said they would have 2 carseats for me.

We'll see if he comes thru. I e-mailed him and asked for a return e-mail confirming our agreement.

Sorry Jaqueline but that has been a hot button issue here lately. ;)

I get around this my own way but it's not a cheap way to do it. I hire a private town car service to meet us at the ariport (with car seats) and drive us to our pre cruise hotel, then from hotel to cruise, and of course from port to airport again.

Cruisnmama can yo ugive me information about this car servise,please.

Cruisnmama can yo ugive me information about this car servise,please.

Which port? If you are flying into MCO and leaving out of Port Canaveral then the company is called Florida Towncar Service. It's $200 round trip for the 45 min trip.

If you are leaving out of Miami, get a taxi and bring a car seat...lol. The trip between the airport and port is 8 miles. The cost of a private towncar service in Miami is hundreds for a 10 minute trip. The price of a taxi is $26 flat rate.

Which port? If you are flying into MCO and leaving out of Port Canaveral then the company is called Florida Towncar Service. It's $200 round trip for the 45 min trip.

If you are leaving out of Miami, get a taxi and bring a car seat...lol. The trip between the airport and port is 8 miles. The cost of a private towncar service in Miami is hundreds for a 10 minute trip. The price of a taxi is $26 flat rate.

Wow,we are going from fort Lauderdale,and I am really dont want to bring seat with me from Toronto

Wow,we are going from fort Lauderdale,and I am really dont want to bring seat with me from Toronto

So then you would be flying into Fort Lauderdale? You know that Port Everglades is only 3 miles from the airport? I can tell you it would be too expensive for a private car.

And as a Canadian, you can't order the Eddie Bauer car seat that many of us are using because it's not legal to order it into Canada :rolleyes:

Hmmm, maybe someone else has been to FLL recently and knows if there is a way to get a car seat?

So then you would be flying into Fort Lauderdale? You know that Port Everglades is only 3 miles from the airport? I can tell you it would be too expensive for a private car.

And as a Canadian, you can't order the Eddie Bauer car seat that many of us are using because it's not legal to order it into Canada :rolleyes:

Hmmm, maybe someone else has been to FLL recently and knows if there is a way to get a car seat?

I hope I will find solution,because after cruise we will rent a car with seat,so there is no problem,but 1 day before .....I really would\t want to take all this lagage +stroller+ seat aaaa:eek:

I cruised in November when my baby was 5 months old. We brought his car seat for the taxi ride in Ft.Lauderdale. We went to the Caribbean and did a couple of the open air taxi's to the beach and we held our baby. A car seat was not an option as they didn't have seat belts. I sat in the middle of the row in the taxi and held on to the little guy. He slept during all the trips. Our next cruise is the Mexican Riviera in October and the little dude will be 16 months old. I will bring his car seat for the taxi ride from the airport and also to the cruise port.

I am a HUGE car seat advocate and believe that comprimising the safety of our children is being lazy or uneducated (I don't mean to be critical, but I've seen too many children hurt and killed to be more compassionate - sorry). I'm so glad that most of the posts here are in favor of bringing the car seat, even though it is a hassle. However, because the children you are bringing are close to 40 pounds, an easier solution to a convertible car seat is the Graco TurboBooster (preferbly with the back) - they can be used by children as light as 30 pounds. Keep in mind, as you move "up" in car seats (from convertible to booster), you move "down" in safety.

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise and will figure out what is best for your family. Enjoy!!!

PS Here's a great link (for those of you who are car seat nuts like I am!) on the benefits of rear facing... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx. Make sure you check out the videos - amazing difference in safety!

EDIT: I just reread my post... I'm sorry it sounds - um, witchy, but I'm pregnant and hormonal... I really am a nice person! ;)

PS Here's a great link (for those of you who are car seat nuts like I am!) on the benefits of rear facing... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx. Make sure you check out the videos - amazing difference in safety!

EDIT: I just reread my post... I'm sorry it sounds - um, witchy, but I'm pregnant and hormonal... I really am a nice person! ;)

Yes I can attest to that, you ARE a VERY nice person. :D Sometimes we all have our hot button topics (god knows I have more than a few...lol)

I've seen that video about the forward verses rear facing (on my moms board) and I agree it's horrifying. :(

Archived