USA Today story: "At Airports, booze causes headaches"

JJPNYC

Maybe at some point in the future, someone will come to the conclusion that a sealed bottle of Canadian Club does not constitute a threat to an airplane and the regulation will be thrown out.
Maybe at some point in the future, someone will devise a way of identifying at a security checkpoint what is a sealed bottle of Canadian Club, and distinguishing it from a bottle of something that superficially looks like Canadian Club (but isn't) and has a seal that looks like a Canadian Club seal.

And doing so with 99% accuracy.

And doing it in half a second or so.

Roll on that day.

I still don't see the need to take booze on a plane in the first place? Then again booze isn't anything that my life revolves around. I don't have a problem with the rules put into place by TSA. I can however understand the issue of liquids when it comes to medications or other health needs. If booze isn't allowed then why are people making it all the way to the security checkpoint before they realize this? You'd think it would come up with their e ticket or whatever they have for itenerary? Do airports post signs on the doors or at the parking areas outlining this so people can return to the vehicles or give the booze up to their cab drivers etc? I can see when these changes first went into effect having issues being caught off guard but it's been too long to play ignorant. :)

Ignorant, perhaps, but I'd perfer to think absent-minded; and the guidelines should be changed! My "booze" story: on our return from Rio, I brought 2 bottles of whatever it is that is the drink down there (somthing that you mix with sugar and lime) one as a gift and one that I thought I'd try. No problem buying in the duty free airport shop in Rio. The liquor was given to me at the gate and the bag was stapled shut with a plastic tie also. Okay, no problem. I was told to make sure I did not open the bag or it would be confiscated on my connecting flight. We flew from Rio to Sao Paolo. I had no problem reboarding the next flight, Sao Paolo to Washington DC (IAD)--carrying my 2 bottles, although the seal was checked. Landed at IAD with no problem, but had to go thru customs. Okay. We picked up our luggage, proceeded thru customs, rechecked the luggage--and I, still carrying the liquor went to try to catch our onward flight to Boston. Needless to say, the TSA would not let me carry the liquid on. Now mind you, these two bottles have made it on 2 separate flights for over 5,000 and travelled some 10.5 hours with no problems, but now even though I still have the duty free receipt and the bag is still sealed, the bottles must now be checked in my luggage (which has already been checked in) or surrendered for the mere 1.5 hour flight home. Lucky me, I was carrying a brief case which I placed the bottles in and ran to recheck another piece of luggage. More lucky for me, neither bottle broke when I retrived them in Boston.

There is something wrong when a bottle can travel half the world, but not 500 miles in an airplane. The regulations, I think, definitely should be looked at and modified

Ignorant, perhaps, but I'd perfer to think absent-minded
Ignorant; too lazy to find out what the rules are or to think how they apply to them; arrogant enough to think that the rules don't apply to them.

Those who are at the security checkpoint still in possession of liquids substantially over the limit will almost certainly be displaying some combination of those three characteristics.

Needless to say, the TSA would not let me carry the liquid on. Now mind you, these two bottles have made it on 2 separate flights for over 5,000 and travelled some 10.5 hours with no problems, but now even though I still have the duty free receipt and the bag is still sealed, the bottles must now be checked in my luggage (which has already been checked in) or surrendered for the mere 1.5 hour flight home.

There is something wrong when a bottle can travel half the world, but not 500 miles in an airplane. The regulations, I think, definitely should be looked at and modified

I don't know why this should have come as any surprise to you, though. The rule is nothing about how far the liquids have already travelled; it's about whether the TSA can be confident of their provenance and security. So the rule applies at security checkpoints. It really doesn't matter if the liquids have only flown 25 miles. If it's the first TSA checkpoint, you encounter, the rules will be applied there.

It's the same rationale as requires you to undergo a TSA screening at all, even though you'd already been security screened earlier before getting on your connecting flights outside the US.

And I don't believe that there is much chance of any further relaxation any time soon. Remember that the current state of play is already a carefully-judged compromise.

I'm taking an international flight and then connecting to a domestic flight. I assume I have to go through another security screening at SFO (in addition to customs and immigration) before boarding the second flight. Is it possible to check what had been my carry-on bag (containing the duty free) when I recheck my luggage at the transfer point?

Thanks,

Julia

I'm taking an international flight and then connecting to a domestic flight. I assume I have to go through another security screening at SFO (in addition to customs and immigration) before boarding the second flight. Is it possible to check what had been my carry-on bag (containing the duty free) when I recheck my luggage at the transfer point?

Thanks,

Julia

Hi Julia,

Yes, you can pack the liquor & check it in your suitcase.:)

Jan

If I can't fit it into the suitcase, and don't want to carry the large carry-on bag on a commuter flight, will they accept a bag as checked luggage if it was not checked it at the origin of the trip?
Yes they should, provided that you are still within your baggage allowance - or, if necessary, if you're prepared to pay any excess charges.

Thanks,

Julia

A similar question from me:

We are flying from Auckland, New Zealand, to San Francisco, and then on to Vancouver on the same day (one international flight, followed by a second international). We will overnight in Vancouver, before flying to Anchorage the following day.

We will be allowed to carry on a bottle of whiskey, purchased duty-free in Auckland after going through security, and held in a sealed duty-free bag. We realise that the whiskey will have to be packed in checked luggage for the Vancouver to Anchorage flight the next day.

Does anyone know what is the situation with the San Fancisco to Vancouver flight? I believe we will have to go through US immigration in San Francisco. Do we have to claim our checked baggage here, or will it go on to Vancouver, as that is our ultimate destination that day?

If we claim our checked baggage in San Francisco, we will be able to pack the bottle, but if we don't, will we be able to carry it onto the flight to Vancouver?

We have had some experience with travelling through other coutries en route to the UK and in each case (Sydney/ Singapore, for example) we stayed within the security area and could carry our duty-free, just having it x-rayed again immediately before boarding.

Advice, anyone?

Does anyone know what is the situation with the San Fancisco to Vancouver flight? I believe we will have to go through US immigration in San Francisco. Do we have to claim our checked baggage here, or will it go on to Vancouver, as that is our ultimate destination that day?

If we claim our checked baggage in San Francisco, we will be able to pack the bottle, but if we don't, will we be able to carry it onto the flight to Vancouver?

I believe that the answer to this is that your baggage must be claimed, cleared through customs and re-checked, and that your duty free must be put into your checked baggage at San Francisco - because the only exception I know about is those who are direct airside transiting LAX on NZ1/NZ1.

Everyone else must clear immigration, collect baggage, clear customs, recheck bags and clear security at the connecting point, even if it's an international --> international connection.

The whole thing is totally crazy, but that's the US air transport system for you - absolutely nuts.

I believe that the answer to this is that your baggage must be claimed, cleared through customs and re-checked, and that your duty free must be put into your checked baggage at San Francisco - because the only exception I know about is those who are direct airside transiting LAX on NZ1/NZ1.

Everyone else must clear immigration, collect baggage, clear customs, recheck bags and clear security at the connecting point, even if it's an international --> international connection.

The whole thing is totally crazy, but that's the US air transport system for you - absolutely nuts.

Thanks Globaliser. At least we won't have the duty-free confiscated!

Archived