Anyone cruised during first trimester of pregnancy?

After a miscarriage in Dec. we agreed to go on a cruise with some of my family in March. Well, we got pregnant again very quickly and now I'll be 10/11 weeks on our cruise in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it but also feeling a little nervous about being away from home in the first trimester. I've had one ultrasound and I will have another one three days before we leave so hopefully that will give me some peace of mind. I was just curious if others had cruised this early in their pregnancies and how your cruise was. I'm definitely having some morning sickness, but it hasn't been too bad.

I just wanted to wish you good luck!! I wasn't a good pregnant person, and cannot imagine vacationing while pregnant. Many do it, and quite well so I hope you are one of those. It took every thing I had just to make it through each day, and morning sickness wasn't one of my many issues.

Again, good luck to you and happy pregnancy!

After a miscarriage in Dec. we agreed to go on a cruise with some of my family in March. Well, we got pregnant again very quickly and now I'll be 10/11 weeks on our cruise in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it but also feeling a little nervous about being away from home in the first trimester. I've had one ultrasound and I will have another one three days before we leave so hopefully that will give me some peace of mind. I was just curious if others had cruised this early in their pregnancies and how your cruise was. I'm definitely having some morning sickness, but it hasn't been too bad.

Yes, I went on a 3 day Bahama's cruise out of Miami when I was about 13-14 weeks pregnant (almost 30 years ago, how time flies) Other than my morning sickness, I had no problems. Just make sure your doctor knows and ask questions. If you do have morning sickness you may have it accentuated due to motion. You should ask your doctor about taking anything. I personnaly wouldn't take anything except Ginger, no drugs, and only with the doctor's approval. You can also try the accupressure points in the wrist. That helps. Also, try to keep your stomach full with small meals when cruising. Green apples and watching the horizon help!! Have a wonderful cruise.

Most cruise companies won't let you cruise in your 3rd trimester. You'd better contact them and find out. you'd hate to be turned away at the gate. Read the small print.

Read my post...FIRST trimester. I'll only be about 10-11 weeks!!!! Yes, I know the rules about cruising in third trimester.

Yes. And the only problem I had was ankles swelling and bloated. Just drinking a lot of water and keeping hydrated is the key. Also, I know it's still early, but do take some time out and rest each day. I also cruised in the LAST trimester. My doctor ok'd it since we were not flying. :) Enjoy your cruise and many blessings for the new addition!

My morning sickness has been a little worse lately so I wanted to see if anyone else had cruised in FIRST trimester. Thanks!!!!!

Yes, like I said in a previous post. I, too, had morning sickness (all day). Back then I just lived with it. Today, I know about Ginger. I would ask my doctor if I were you to see if you can. It does help and quickly. Have a great cruise.

Read my post...FIRST trimester. I'll only be about 10-11 weeks!!!! Yes, I know the rules about cruising in third trimester.

Wow, for someone asking advice this seems pretty rude. Perhaps I am mistaking your tone. In any event, my wife and I crossed the Atlantic on QM2 during the 1st trimester and she was fine. Bear in mind, there are no stops on a crossing, so it was much more relaxing. But she had no problems at all,and we did have some heavy seas.

Wow, for someone asking advice this seems pretty rude. Perhaps I am mistaking your tone. In any event, my wife and I crossed the Atlantic on QM2 during the 1st trimester and she was fine. Bear in mind, there are no stops on a crossing, so it was much more relaxing. But she had no problems at all,and we did have some heavy seas.

No wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to make it clear that I am talking about cruising early in pregnancy, not at 30 weeks or anything. I know that Carnival has 27 week cut off policy. I think the poster just didn't really even read my orginal post that said first trimester and 10/11 weeks.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't cruise. You should check with your doctor. Just make sure you don't eat any food away from the ship if you are leaving the US. You REALLY don't want to get a bad bacterium early in pregnancy while baby is forming limbs and organs.

While I never cruised pregnant, we went with friends once who were having twins. She was about 10 weeks pregnant & her morning sickness was no better or worse than on land-just the same. She did gain about 15 lbs that week though! Best of luck with the pregnancy!

While I never cruised pregnant, we went with friends once who were having twins. She was about 10 weeks pregnant & her morning sickness was no better or worse than on land-just the same. She did gain about 15 lbs that week though! Best of luck with the pregnancy!

Wow pregnant with twins! Glad to hear she did o.k. and 15 lbs, must have been all that good food!!!! Thanks for the info! :)

I cruised when I was 8 weeks pregnant, 4 years ago with my 3rd child. I found out I was pregnant just days before departure and I was concerned since I had been very sick with my first 2 kids. I used the accupuncture bands & peppermint candy, which both seemed to help. My husband would get me some juice and crackers before I would get out of bed in the morning. But, for me, the soft ice cream stand was my saving grace. If I started to feel queasy I'd head straight to the ice cream. I'm not talking about pigging out, just a small serving when ever I needed it! Good Luck, just relax and enjoy yourself.

Sherry

I cruised when I was 8 weeks pregnant, 4 years ago with my 3rd child. I found out I was pregnant just days before departure and I was concerned since I had been very sick with my first 2 kids. I used the accupuncture bands & peppermint candy, which both seemed to help. My husband would get me some juice and crackers before I would get out of bed in the morning. But, for me, the soft ice cream stand was my saving grace. If I started to feel queasy I'd head straight to the ice cream. I'm not talking about pigging out, just a small serving when ever I needed it! Good Luck, just relax and enjoy yourself.

Sherry

Thanks for the info. Sounds like your hubby took good care of you. Gotta go start packing :)

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I just found out I was pregnant a couple of days ago, and DH and I have a cruise booked on Carnival for Oct. 25. By then, I'll be 8 weeks along. I'm a little concerned because I hear weeks 6-14 are when babies form their major organs. Does anyone have tips or advise for cruising while pregnant in the first trimester?

Hi,

I just found out I was pregnant a couple of days ago, and DH and I have a cruise booked on Carnival for Oct. 25. By then, I'll be 8 weeks along. I'm a little concerned because I hear weeks 6-14 are when babies form their major organs. Does anyone have tips or advise for cruising while pregnant in the first trimester?

Other than checking with your doctor and the above tips? No. I enjoyed my cruises while I was pregnant and I didn't have any problems whatsoever. If you have concerns, definitely check with your doctor. Mine did not want me on an airplane but, told me the cruise would be fine :)

I agree check with your Dr. but I can't see any problems. If you are prone to motion sickness, your morning sickness may be a little worse (mine was) but that's about it. Just make sure the dr. says ok! There shouldn't be any other issues with a normal pregnancy.

You both made me feel better about cruising with a little one on board. Thanks! This is DH and my first (baby) and we're quite excited. I will definitely check with a doctor. Thanks again. :)

You're welcome!! I am very happy for the both of you!! Another thing, just make sure you are hydrated and take it easy. Sometimes in early pregnancy you become quite tired. Just relax and have a nice time!!

(as a side note, the child of mine that I was pregnant with in 1977 will be cruising with us in Oct with her 1 1/2 yr. old and husband!! She came along on a trip to Disney World while pregnant as well!! She was at Disney World as well while I was pregnant!!)

I cruised with DW in her 1st trimester . . . she had some morning sickness prior and does not get seasick. All I can say is AAARRRGGGHHHHH! Morning sickness became "just thinking about food" sickness . . . resulting in a shot (that worked well and had no effect on DD, now 25).

I think the response of any given person is totally unpredictable and I frankly don't think anything you do or don't do on the cruise will cause you to react one way or the other. So, I concur with talk to your OB-GYN and discuss "worst case" - what will you do if, and I stress if, you get sea, morning, whatever sick and you have a hard time staying hydrated. Should you get a shot? If so, what med is safest?

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Congrats...

I don't think you can take anyone's good or bad experience on a ship as any indication of how your's will go. Every woman's body is different and even the same body can react different. My wife's experience for our three varied greatly. Going from no problem at all for one to all sort of unexpected surprises for another. Not saying that is going to happen to you but I'd listen to your OB/GY's recommendations then base any decision or expections on what you read here. Breing on a cruise ship is very different the traveling/flying for a "normal" land vacation. In one you are never more then a hour from everything one would need, not the case at all for ship.

We cruised very late into my wife's second trimester. For better or worst we encountered some horrible seas and my wife got very sick. The doctor wouldn't touch her. BTW it was the second time the ship doctor saw her as she got a nasty eye infection that he was also leary of giving anything.

Good luck.

Congrats on your pregnancy! :D

My favorite cruise story will always be my sailing in the Inspiration. My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for years and we had just recently miscarried our 1st baby in Nov. Then his parents bought the whole family a cruise in May. I spent lots of time on the ship reflecting and soul searching. I decided to just let go and think positive. I had a blast on the trip, returned home from my cruise on Mothers Day to a positive pregnancy test :D! We now have a gorgeous two year old girl!

Unfortunately since I didn't know I was pregnant I don't have much advice for you. I would take advantage of naps and ice cream.... I know I did! Also if you do excursions make sure it is safe for you. I went on a bumpy- off road Jeep excursion...had I known I was pg I never would have risked it:eek:!

Archived