skagway and emerald Lake ?

rowlady

I have been reading a bit about renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake during the Skagway stop...............Can someone tell me about this option and what we might see during the drive? We will be in Skagway 5/30 and can't afford the dog sled excursion that the whole family would love ($1900 for 4 of us is the equivalent of another cruise) and don't really know what we should do with our 13 hours in port. Could use any and all suggestions and opinions about the car rental or something better. Thanks!

PS - We are a family of 4 with kids age 14 and 15

I really enjoyed our drive. Best to rent with Avis but book now! Check out Yukon's (Murray's) guide to driving at www.explorenorth.com. He gives a mile by mile description of the drive. You might have to do a search for Murray's Guide to find a more exact link.

Well worth the drive and good price for a small group - just the rental car cost and gas. You need passports.

If you're hikers, I have a book that shows what looks like two different, really nice hikes that begin fairly near the cruise pier. One's pretty flat, and the other one goes up hill pretty good. I haven't hiked either one, but we intend to when we're there later this year. If you're interested in that, let me know, and I'll reply with more details.

We will be in Skagway 5/30 and can't afford the dog sled excursion that the whole family would love

We are going to take the drive in September. I understand there is an opportunity to see sled dogs on the way and with some planning, you can avoid the tour rush?

Look into horseback riding with www.yukonhorses.com . We are renting 2 cars for a group of 8 in June and planning on making a day of it. We will have a 10,12 14, and 15 year olds with us. We are also going to stop at Caribou crossing to see the puppies and do some gold panning. We booked everything ourselves. Joni at Yukon horses was very nice to correspond with. Have fun planning!

We rented a car last year and drove to Emerald Lake. It was the highlight of our Alaska cruise. The scenery is beautiful, miles of mountains, lakes snow-capped peaks. We stopped and took photos many times, it is just spectacular.

Beware of the "local car rental agency" the car we rented was about l0 years old, was filthy, had holes in the interior, a greasy oily trunk and some parts were wired on. The radio was hanging out of the dash by wires. We felt we were taking a risk but we made it back, thankfully.

In other words - use AVIS.

I have been reading a bit about renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake during the Skagway stop...............Can someone tell me about this option and what we might see during the drive? We will be in Skagway 5/30 and can't afford the dog sled excursion that the whole family would love ($1900 for 4 of us is the equivalent of another cruise) and don't really know what we should do with our 13 hours in port. Could use any and all suggestions and opinions about the car rental or something better. Thanks!

PS - We are a family of 4 with kids age 14 and 15

We rented a car last year and drove to Emerald Lake. Take a look at our pictures and you'll get an idea of what a treat you're in for!:)

We rented a car last year and drove to Emerald Lake. It was the highlight of our Alaska cruise. The scenery is beautiful, miles of mountains, lakes snow-capped peaks. We stopped and took photos many times, it is just spectacular.

Beware of the "local car rental agency" the car we rented was about l0 years old, was filthy, had holes in the interior, a greasy oily trunk and some parts were wired on. The radio was hanging out of the dash by wires. We felt we were taking a risk but we made it back, thankfully.

In other words - use AVIS.

Totally agree! I am another one who rented from a "local car rental agency". filthy car and sneaky practice. They over charged me $100 without authorization. Good thing is my credit card company is on my side. They may end up eating some charge-back fee from credit card company. I will go with Avis if it is not sold out yet. Key word-- "book early"

While you are here in Skagway, be sure to go to the National Park Service for all of the maps that you will need for this area, especially the trails that another poster alluded to. There are many good hikes including those mentioned and the Park Rangers will take the time to look at you and your footgear, etc., and then they will line you out for the hikes which will be suitable for you and your group!

while you are there you should at least see the video re. the Gold Rush which created this place. This will enhance anything else that you end up doing while you are here!

There is plenty to keep you busy for 16 hours. I moved down here from the north over 16 years ago and I still can't fit in all of the things that are on my "list":confused: !?! DD

and they had a car available! This will be the cheapest excursion of all. The pictures are amazing I couldn't resist - thanks so much for sharing. We checked out Murray's guide and couldn't find dog sledding - anyone have more info about that? We have a call in to the horseback place to get more details. What great info - thanks again for the help...........

Debbie

I too am looking forward to the drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake!

Does anybody know if there are places to pick up some sandwiches and snacks and drinks near the pier? Near the Avis place? It will be a long drive and we weren't suppose to take food off the ship . . .

Right across from the train station and just around the corner from Avis is a Starbucks:eek: , but don't be fooled, they also have some of the best sandwiches (and soups) in town and they will gladly make up a lunch bag for as many people as you have. All of their food is made right on the premises every morning and the sandwiches are ready before you will be able to get into Avis. They even have vegitarian stuff as well as ham, roast beef, etc.! Happy travels. DD

Right across from the train station and just around the corner from Avis is a Starbucks:eek: , but don't be fooled, they also have some of the best sandwiches (and soups) in town and they will gladly make up a lunch bag for as many people as you have. All of their food is made right on the premises every morning and the sandwiches are ready before you will be able to get into Avis. They even have vegitarian stuff as well as ham, roast beef, etc.! Happy travels. DD

Great! Thanks for the tip!

If you're hikers, I have a book that shows what looks like two different, really nice hikes that begin fairly near the cruise pier. One's pretty flat, and the other one goes up hill pretty good. I haven't hiked either one, but we intend to when we're there later this year. If you're interested in that, let me know, and I'll reply with more details.

Sea Hag - I love hiking and would be interested in details. Can you pls post more info? thanks in advance!

sandiego1,

I've hiked a couple of times that we were in Skagway and it was great. In September 2003 while my wife shopped I took a hike up and around Lower Dewey Lake. I got the trail map from the National Park Office. There were lots of people on the trail so I felt quite safe even though I was hiking alone. It was a moderately difficult hike and took just over two hours. The trail head is just south of town.

In May 2005 in the morning did an easy hike north to Yakutania Point (north of town)and then on to Smuggler's Cove where I encountered a young man from Haines who had been kayaking and was camped there. I visited with him for a while as he shared a lot of information about the area and then hiked back to meet my wife for lunch. She had spent the morning shopping. After lunch I took the hike up to Lower Dewey Lake again while she found a museum that we hadn't seen before. Next trip she tells me I have to visit that museum because she really enjoyed it.

Slides from the 2005 trip are posted here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jerrell52

Jerry

Archived