After 8 hours, overboard cruise ship passenger rescued

makeup face

All of the other cruise lines are trying to limit alcohol consumption, isn't Carnvial doing the same thing?

I am not the most expereinced cruiser, but I found nothing on my recent experiences on Princess that suggested the cruiseline was doing anything to curb alchohol consumption. Cruiseline staff were pushing drinks at the pool, dining room staff promoting wine tastings, beach games on Princes Cays where participants had to "chug" a beer as part of an obstacle course, plenty of bars/lounges with lenghty drink menus. If anything, Princess seems to be encouraging the consumption of alchohol more so now than when I started crusing them 5 years ago. I am not saying that Princess is responsible for this gentleman's situation, but I do think Princess (and all other cruislines probably) are in the business of creating an atmosphere of fun, frivolity, relaxation, and to many people this is associated with the consumption of alchohol.

Drunk or not, the guy is certainly is not the sharpest tool in the shed. You can't just fall out of a window on a cruise ship unless unless you're displaying some serious stupidity. It's just sad that his actions affected his fellow cruisers and will most likely affect those of future passengers as well....

This guy is definitely lucky to be alive, I saw this on the news this AM. I don't quite understand why most of these 'drunks overboard' stories come from Carnival ships. All of the other cruise lines are trying to limit alcohol consumption, isn't Carnvial doing the same thing?
I think they are, and maybe that's why there appears to be so many threads about how to "sneak" liquor onto Carnival cruises. When you resort to high-school tactics, maybe your consumption habits also revert to high-school levels.

How about this guys sister and family who were making funeral plans on Friday?

Gosh...do you really think they were making funeral plans that soon and had lost hope of finding him? They found him within 8 hours. I guess I would be pissed at my family if they were making funeral plans and already given up hope if it was me.

I think they are, and maybe that's why there appears to be so many threads about how to "sneak" liquor onto Carnival cruises. When you resort to high-school tactics, maybe your consumption habits also revert to high-school levels.

They are bringing them onto Princess as well. We were a few doors down from a larger cabin - minisuite or suite where there were alot of people inside with alcoholic drinks in hand and then we heard and saw the blender they had brought onboard as we were walking by as more people piled in. And no, they were not even close to being kids. It was the 1st formal night so they were having their own cocktails before dinner.

I did see one cruiseline here on the boards where people ask about bringing booze and they are telling people not to even try because it will go straight to a holding room until the cruise is over and the person showed a picture of the room where all the booze was confiscated.

Gosh...do you really think they were making funeral plans that soon and had lost hope of finding him?

Quote from the Orlando Sentinal:

Like other family members, Mankamyer's older sister, Gina Mankamyer, received word from officials early Friday.

"We were hysterical," said Gina Mankamyer of Orlando, who described her brother as an average swimmer. "We were already thinking about having to plan a funeral without a body."

This situation is absolutely incredible, in that if he chose to jump overboard, after choosing to become drunk and then managed to survive...he is one lucky guy. The cruise line should not be responsible, he should have to pay for his rescue and thank his lucky stars that he survived.

"We were hysterical," said Gina Mankamyer of Orlando, who described her brother as an average swimmer. "We were already thinking about having to plan a funeral without a body."

MAKING funeral plans and THINKING about making funeral plans are two different things.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen ANY cruise lines limiting alcohol consumption on their ships. And for those of you who think drinking in the cabin makes everyone an alcoholic, please think again. Princess sells bottles of liquor through room service for passengers to drink in their cabin. It's not like you have to sneak it onboard. AND, I prefer to drink what I like when I'm on VACATION and Princess doesn't offer it, so I bring it along. I don't sneak it on, I put it in a cooler with my wine (yes, I bring wine and champagne on board with me...all okay with Princess) and carry it on with me. It goes through the x-ray machine and I have never been stopped.

I like having a glass of wine while I'm getting ready, we share a bottle of wine (that we buy in the DR) with dinner and have one or some after dinner drinks. I drink at least one Drink of the Day each day and I have fun. I'm on VACATION and I enjoy having a cocktail. I'm over 21, so why should you have anything to say about it.

The guy who jumped off the ship was 35. Supposedly he was drunk. He may have been suicidal...maybe this was his way of doing himself in and when he was rescued, he saw the light and realized it wasn't the only way to solve his problems. Give the guy a break.

elisa

And what message are you trying to convey?

And would you all feel the same way if this was your child, your brother, a relative, or someone you knew?

Oh for crying out loud....the man is a 35 year old idiot!!!!

WE ALL have to live with the choices we make in life. I am not feeling sorry for a drunken fool who jumps off his balcony......now the tax payers will have to pick up the cost of plucking him from the ocean:mad:

The message I'm conveying.....be responsible for your actions.....which is the way I raised my two grown sons...it''s highly doubtful either one of them would be jumping off a balcony into the ocean:rolleyes:

I saw that on the TV as well, man was he lucky they found him.

On a side note. I was just on an NCL cruise and wanted to toss some Spring Breakers off the boat. They were spitting off their balcony for seven days and no amount of pleading to security could change their gross behavior.

The most disgusting thing I ever had to endure, no more NCL for me. :mad:

Well I just read a review from someone on last weeks Diamond Princess that was full of scenes of Spring breakers. I have a feeling that all the cruiselines like Carnival, Princess, NCL, and Royal Caribbean have had to deal with this the entire month of March. The person reported from the Diamond Princess that drinks from the bar were at a all time high. We go this coming Saturday and it is still Spring break. I can tell this will be an interesting cruise.

why is it a tragedy? the guy was found, apparently he will be o.k. And no, i'm not sure he was drunk, i'm also not sure he paid $500 for a flight to FLL, but i don't have to be, it's a message board, not a courtroom. we haven't convicted him, we are neither judge, nor jury, all we've done is made accusations!:p

Something seems wrong with this falling or jumping overboard picture. Here we have an older overweight guy (not that there's anything wrong with older overweight guys) traveling with a neighbors' 15 year boy who leaves the ship in a very unusual way at night almost at the end of the cruise. Could there have been an argument or an incident over something between the guy and the boy causing the guy to want jump or fall off the ship?

on the carnival board somebody said they just retruned from that cruise, and the story from him was that this guy was thrown over by some rowdy folks that he had complained about during the cruise. and that one person was led off in handcuffs upon arruval at port. but that thread has disappeared, so i don't know if it was false, or if it was bad press that was removed.

barbarah33 - Guess now you won't be able to cruise on Princess any longer, two people "fell" off a balcony last night. Might as well add Royal Caribbean to your list, after all there was the Smith "mystery" onboard one of their ships, or maybe you don't count that because they were from wealthy families. These people are everywhere, not just Carnival.

What?!?!? On a Princess ship...the "stupid" media must have made a mistake. This kind of thing doesn't happen on Princess. Princess doesn't have "those" kind of people. Somebody call a lawyer. Sue the paper. Ohhhhhhh the injustice..............:rolleyes:

Archived