Carnival Rip-Off? Feedback please?

Brittgrrl

This is a rant-those who are easily offended or anxious to flame, need not read any further.

Hi all! RCCL Diamond member here (soon to be Diamond Plus by December 2007!). I don't cruise Carnival, so I need your assistance understanding whether or not this is the Carnival way of doing business.

In brief, my mother's step-son purchased a cruise for his father and my mother back in November (Christmas present). The step-son being a military officer, and his dad (my mother's husband) being a retired Admiral, he received the "military discount".

Suddenly (three weeks ago) my mother's aged husband was unable to go for health reasons. But he INSISTED that my mother go, taking his daughter in his place. The TA said this was no problem (two weeks ago) and charged a $50 change fee to add the step-daughter in the husband's place.

Suddenly (yesterday) Carnival calls my elderly mother demanding the $400 price difference from last November's rate (as if she'd booked today). The TA claims her "hands are tied". Now, my mother, having quite a bit on her plate at the moment, didn't want to argue, and paid it. Mainly because she was literally being yelled at by CCL "customer service" when she objected to paying an additional $450 for a $700 extended weekend cruise. But her family, hearing this story today, are ENRAGED :mad: at the callous nature, and the elderly bullying that took place over the phone. My first ever contact to CCL was speaking to Lillian, whom smirked her way through a "sorry, there's nothing we can do". We are contacting the credit card company to cancel the $400 charge-as my elderly mother was bullied into paying the fee, and cancelling the cruise...refunded or not. Although the BBB cannot rectify what CCL has done, we'll be sure to file a report with them as well. And I'm sure Bob Dickinson won't actually SEE the letter my step-brother will be writing, we'll at least go on record for having attempted to notify him of how CCL's "customer service" has just insured that every relative, neighbour, and associate will never, ever, step foot on a Carnival ship.

What would those of you whom are seasoned CCL do in this situation?:confused:

So was the $400 difference because of the passenger change, or because they could no longer use the military rate. I'm guessing it's the military rate adjustment. And, unfortunately, they would have to take that away. Otherwise, I could book a cabin for me and a friend who is in the military, who never planned on going, and then change his booking to another person and pay the $50 but be able to take advantage of a rate that I do not deserve.. I'm not saying they have a right to treat anyone rudely. THat is unacceptable. Congrats on your upcoming diamond plus status..

I am not a cheerleader for any particular cruiseline.

With that said, the military rate was granted to your step father as he was former military. Your mother (elderly or not) was not. Why should she be given a military discount?

Carnival is doing this to show support for our military. Can you imagine what it woud be like if everyone did this?

For example let says I am active or former military (which I am) and I booked a cruise at the military discount rate. I decide to cancel and replace myself with a friend who really wanted to go on a cruise and couldnt afford to pay full price. Do you see where I am going with this?

That aside your mother is not active or retired military. Period.

I am sorry that your mother was bullied into paying but it was her decision in doing so.

I'll start of by saying that I'm a loyal Carnival customer.

I DO understand your frustration.

However, In this case I believe that the TA should have known that additional charges would be applied.

Carnival sold them the cruise under their "Military Discount" program. With the father dropping out of the cruise, the "Military Discount" became invalid. Therfore, the additional charges should be applied.

I feel the TA is partially responsable here and should have communicated this to your family when dropping the father.

How Carnival is communicating this to other family members,,I can't say. I was not part of the cummunications. The TA should have done ALL of the communications between the involved parties.

Does RCCL have "Military Discount" rates?

There is no military person sailing on the cruise, you can't blame Carnival. Geesh, why don't you be the "good son" and pay the difference for your mother. I sail on both RCCL and Carnival and let me tell you - RCCL has done some of the same things. Don't blame Carnival, it's not their fault, they are simply running a business -- plain and simple....

Carnival gives discounts for past guests, as well as military, and interline rates with the expectation and the restriction that the person that qualified be on the cruise. One could only imagine the abuse of discounts if they did not strictly enforce the rule. I agree that there is no place for rudeness when talking to a cruise line representative but in this case I do not understand what other outcome should be expected. I am not sure why the BBB would not see it Carnivals way since the consumers actions violated a clearly stated policy and the adjustment was justified.

This seems like a NO brainer....if there is no one sailing who qualifies for a militairy discount then there is NO discount

I do think the travel agent may have made things worse by saying it would be "no problem"....so let her know how you feel.

Just imagine the mess if people could "buy" cabins at a military rate and then resell them to others, ebay would be full of "military cabins" for sale or whatever....geesh

this is really simple, and again NOT Carnival's fault. Going to the "better business bureau"?? For what??

This is a standard procedure, if you were given a Military discount because there was Military personal occupying the cabin and the Person backs out, Yes, you will loose you Discount, correct me if I'm wrong but i do believe this is also RCCL's precedure also.

The TA should have told this to you when you asked!

You can see how much the Senior discount is, this may help bring the price down, also look at the prices of the lower level cabins.

There is also a $50 dollar name change fee after final payment also.

Unfortunately, your biggest problem is with your TA and my guess is that it's the TA that had Carnival contact your mother cuz they knew they were wrong. Otherwise, Carnival would not have called your mother direct. Maybe it was a conference call, who knows.

I would love to get military rates since I come from a long long line of Military folks, but I would NEVER expect anyone to bend the rules for me regardless of the circumstances. How disrespectful to those who are serving and have served their country if just anyone could get their rates.

IMHO, you have absolutely no course of action with Carnival, but I'd defintely file that BBB complaint against your TA.

Hope your mother does have an enjoyable time on her cruise.

Same deal with us last Christmas. We had the military discount for 4 people and the "military person" got detained in Iraq and could not go. We got a replacement person and Carnival waived the $50 change fee but had to charge and additional $500 for the cabin. Sure, I was sad about the soldier not going and having to pay more money but why is it Carnival's fault? Side note: Even if my friend-coworker-relative said boycott Carnival would I?:cool:

I agree with what other posters have said--no military discount unless there's someone who is on the cruise who qualifies for it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be upset with my TA, not with Carnival. First, the TA should have told your family when they were removing your father that the military discount would no longer apply. And, the TA is the one who should be communicating with Carnival--that's one of the responsibilities of a TA.

That said, if Carnival customer service really did yell at your mother (though I don't understand why she, instead of the TA, was talking with them) that is unacceptable. I would certainly voice my opinions to Carnival about being yelled at by one of their customer service personnel. But, I can't imagine any cruise line would give the military discount to non-military passengers--no basis for complaint on that one.

Jayne

. In brief, my mother's step-son purchased a cruise for his father and my mother back in November (Christmas present). The step-son being a military officer, and his dad (my mother's husband) being a retired Admiral, he received the "military discount".

This is the only phrase that concerns me - if the son purchased this as a gift, why is the son not paying the difference? Since the son is military and it's a gift, has that angle been explored:confused:

I am not a cheerleader for any particular cruiseline.

With that said' date=' the military rate was granted to your step father as he was former military. Your mother (elderly or not) was not. Why should she be given a military discount?

Carnival is doing this to show support for our military. Can you imagine what it woud be like if everyone did this?

For example let says I am active or former military (which I am) and I booked a cruise at the military discount rate. I decide to cancel and replace myself with a friend who really wanted to go on a cruise and couldnt afford to pay full price. Do you see where I am going with this?

That aside your mother is not active or retired military. Period.

I am sorry that your mother was bullied into paying but it was her decision in doing so.[/quote']

She should get it because like any spouse or child who spends 20 or more years of their lives putting up with the military BS they deserve recognition for their sacrifices as well. If you think growing up in the military or being married to someone in the military is any way close to leading a normal life you are delusional.

She should get it because like any spouse or child who spends 20 or more years of their lives putting up with the military BS they deserve recognition for their sacrifices as well. If you think growing up in the military or being married to someone in the military is any way close to leading a normal life you are delusional.

Well if you read my post carefully you will see my personal connection with the military. Why would you single me out as being delusional? I am not the only one that agreed that she should not get the discount.

I never said that it was easy being in a military family.

The issue at hand is the person that was granted (active or retired) the military discount is not actually going on the cruise and therefor not allowed the military discount.

I am not sure where you got the idea I didnt think that military family life is hard. :confused:

Trust me I know first hand your type. Nothing worse than a military wife who thinks the world owes here everything and will stomp and cry until she gets it. But thats another story.

Yea, and everyone who even knows someone in the military should get the discount too. And if you own a gun you should get it. If you own something that is camoflage, you should get it. If you live within fifty miles of a base, you're in. If you have ever saluted someone, you got it. Mall security guards, they're military, right?

That is simply silly....spouses or widows do not get the discount, sorry...

otherwise the ship would be full of people on discounts, my Dad was in the army,can I get a discount?? NO and I don't expect it...

Not to mention this particular case is apparently a 2nd marriage...and who is to say that she was even with him when he is in the military?

To the OP: RCI would do the same thing..face it. The TA should have checked but even if they had checked the answer would be the same.

Lots of folks sacrifice for a greater good- period. That doesn't make everyone in their family entitled for life. That includes ME..... We all make choices of whom we marry and what type of life we want, but I don't think those choices are made based on cruise discounts, are they??

Seems odd Carnival would have called your mom, rather than just let her TA handle it, since she is the agent in charge of the booking..very strange.:confused:

This is extremely strange, and if I was the TA I would be on the phone to Carnival and demanding an explanation as to why the company decided to contact my client! This goes against ALL the rules of conduct while dealing with a travel agents client, that we were trained on while working at Carnival.

This is a rant-those who are easily offended or anxious to flame, need not read any further.

Hi all! RCCL Diamond member here (soon to be Diamond Plus by December 2007!). I don't cruise Carnival, so I need your assistance understanding whether or not this is the Carnival way of doing business.

In brief, my mother's step-son purchased a cruise for his father and my mother back in November (Christmas present). The step-son being a military officer, and his dad (my mother's husband) being a retired Admiral, he received the "military discount".

Suddenly (three weeks ago) my mother's aged husband was unable to go for health reasons. But he INSISTED that my mother go, taking his daughter in his place. The TA said this was no problem (two weeks ago) and charged a $50 change fee to add the step-daughter in the husband's place.

Suddenly (yesterday) Carnival calls my elderly mother demanding the $400 price difference from last November's rate (as if she'd booked today). The TA claims her "hands are tied". Now, my mother, having quite a bit on her plate at the moment, didn't want to argue, and paid it. Mainly because she was literally being yelled at by CCL "customer service" when she objected to paying an additional $450 for a $700 extended weekend cruise. But her family, hearing this story today, are ENRAGED :mad: at the callous nature, and the elderly bullying that took place over the phone. My first ever contact to CCL was speaking to Lillian, whom smirked her way through a "sorry, there's nothing we can do". We are contacting the credit card company to cancel the $400 charge-as my elderly mother was bullied into paying the fee, and cancelling the cruise...refunded or not. Although the BBB cannot rectify what CCL has done, we'll be sure to file a report with them as well. And I'm sure Bob Dickinson won't actually SEE the letter my step-brother will be writing, we'll at least go on record for having attempted to notify him of how CCL's "customer service" has just insured that every relative, neighbour, and associate will never, ever, step foot on a Carnival ship.

What would those of you whom are seasoned CCL do in this situation?:confused:

I would be mad as well. I understand that the reason is probably due to no longer having a military person in the cabin, however this should have been handled at the time of the change. I can only go based on what you say, but if a representative spoke to her this way.. it is uncalled for, and I would continue to try and reach someone higher up at Carnival for at least an apology for the way it was handled! There are supervisors & managers there that care, and I know MANY MANY people in the Carnival offices, and believe me most of them would not treat a guest this way.

I do enjoy Carnival, and I know this is not normal!

-Mike

Unfortunately, your biggest problem is with your TA and my guess is that it's the TA that had Carnival contact your mother cuz they knew they were wrong. Otherwise, Carnival would not have called your mother direct. Maybe it was a conference call, who knows.

I agree that your TA must have had Carnival call. It is well known that if you book through Carnival direct hen you may contact them and they you but if you book through a TA then communication goes through them.

Sounds like your TA opened her mouth before h/she confirmed the regulations. Then they tried covering their butts (and their future business from your family) by making Carnival look like the bad guys.

It sucks, but I'd be mad at my TA for acting as if they knew what they were talking about.

Archived