Still Live, Still on the Golden from here to San Francisco

DonahCBrown

Since it seems our other thread is now closed, although our cruise is not yet over, I'll start up with this one, and hope to have, as they say "a little help from my friends."

Puerto Montt was a bit cloudy and overcast, with some light rain in the afternoon. Lots of the ship and private tours had as a main feature the Petrohue Falls, with the result that there were huge crowds there when we arrived with our CC group of 10 - Dennis and me, Arlene and Milt, Ken and Tina, Len and Fran, and Ted and Laurie. We managed to fight our way out to the viewing area and get some pictures, and also ran into Bill and Vickie who were doing a Princess tour. Maybe Bill can post some pics.

In response to the question about how cold it was when we went to see penguins - that pretty much depends on where you went to see them, I think. We went to Bluff Cove in Stanley and it was cold. Bill and Vickie saw them in Antartica and it was REALLY cold. So, I'd say, be prepared to be cold, and also bring some 'disposable' shoes - and throw 'em away before you get back on board. Penguins are not potty trained!

Hope to see some of the usual suspects around and I'll post when I can, from here to San Francisco.

Since it seems our other thread is now closed, although our cruise is not yet over, I'll start up with this one, and hope to have, as they say "a little help from my friends."

Puerto Montt was a bit cloudy and overcast, with some light rain in the afternoon. Lots of the ship and private tours had as a main feature the Petrohue Falls, with the result that there were huge crowds there when we arrived with our CC group of 10 - Dennis and me, Arlene and Milt, Ken and Tina, Len and Fran, and Ted and Laurie. We managed to fight our way out to the viewing area and get some pictures, and also ran into Bill and Vickie who were doing a Princess tour. Maybe Bill can post some pics.

In response to the question about how cold it was when we went to see penguins - that pretty much depends on where you went to see them, I think. We went to Bluff Cove in Stanley and it was cold. Bill and Vickie saw them in Antartica and it was REALLY cold. So, I'd say, be prepared to be cold, and also bring some 'disposable' shoes - and throw 'em away before you get back on board. Penguins are not potty trained!

Hope to see some of the usual suspects around and I'll post when I can, from here to San Francisco.

Thanks for carrying on a 'live from' from the Golden, not sure why the other thread was closed:eek:

Looking forward to more pics from those onboard as we sure are enjoying them:D

Good for you, Donna! So glad to see this continue. Thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to keep us all informed. Looking forward to reading much more over the coming days!

Becky

P. S. I think Petrohue Falls just went off my "must see" list for next year because of the crowds you encountered. This is a good example of why these threads are so valuable.

Don't know why they closed the other thread, but I'm glad you started another. We certainly want to continue the cruise. There's still too much interesting stuff that we haven't heard about yet.:D Who would have known you needed disposable shoes to see the penguins. LOL It makes a lot of sense but I don't think anyone would have thought of it before going.

You and others post when you can. Hope you're still having good weather and that everyone continues to have a great time on this cruise.

P. S. I think Petrohue Falls just went off my "must see" list for next year because of the crowds you encountered. This is a good example of why these threads are so valuable.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Thanks for the new thread and I look forward to more grea information!

Great news! As I said earlier, we were waiting for confirmation from Princess that they had cleared us for a cabin. Well we have one now on deck 9 and we will fly to Valpariso via Santiago tomorrow. So everyone, my husband and I will see you on on board on the 20th all the way to SF. We will probably be flying all day and all night since we have to go standby, but it will be worth it.

Donna,

Appreciate you staring up the Live Golden Thread again :)

I have been busy downloading some photos. Have got over 400 posted in my webshots album, more to come.

Becky - I have the penguin photos from Punta Arenas in, have still to do Falkland Islands. Soon........

Here's one of my favorites: 2390384600014024534UwHuDM_th.jpg

Cathy

Thanks Donna for starting a new thread. The other one was really interesting with partication from so many on board on the Golden. Thanks to Bill aka JotWorld posting Easykruz Bill's pictures, we got a show and tell for some of Bill's adventures. I'm sure that will continue as we cruise along with you and your friends.:D

Mary

Don't know why they closed the other thread, but I'm glad you started another. We certainly want to continue the cruise. There's still too much interesting stuff that we haven't heard about yet.:D Who would have known you needed disposable shoes to see the penguins. LOL It makes a lot of sense but I don't think anyone would have thought of it before going.

You and others post when you can. Hope you're still having good weather and that everyone continues to have a great time on this cruise.

Wonder how many pairs of disposable shoes we need in total for this cruise and if I will remember this if I ever have the $$$ to do this cruise:D :D

Who would have known you needed disposable shoes to see the penguins. LOL It makes a lot of sense but I don't think anyone would have thought of it before going.
Actually, all you really need are washable shoes. These are the penguins on the Falklands -- they really were that close. These are all juveniles; the adults were in the water, feeding. Note the tracks in the background: these are the tracks made by the 4WD Jeeps... no roads.

penguins.jpg

Here is a close-up of three of them. The park ranger with us told us that the one in the center probably wouldn't survive the winter: if they don't molt completely, they are not waterproof and can't survive. Sad.

penguins1.jpg

Well here you are! Now that didn't make any sense the trips still going on?? Donna thank you so much for continuing this thread.

Pam, really great pictures! We had not given this cruise that much thought until Everyone started posting about it. Really sounds exciting and has moved to the top of our list.

What time of year do you think is the best to go or is it pretty much just a roll of the dice?

Thanks again, PLEASE don't stop posting.

Dianne

Actually, all you really need are washable shoes. These are the penguins on the Falklands -- they really were that close. These are all juveniles; the adults were in the water, feeding. Note the tracks in the background: these are the tracks made by the 4WD Jeeps... no roads.

penguins.jpg

Here is a close-up of three of them. The park ranger with us told us that the one in the center probably wouldn't survive the winter: if they don't molt completely, they are not waterproof and can't survive. Sad.

penguins1.jpg

Pam in MA,

Thank you so much for the photos. Photos really add to the threads. I just know with everyone's participation that this will be an interesting one again!

What time of year do you think is the best to go or is it pretty much just a roll of the dice?
The weather is the roll of the dice but if I were to go again, which I would love to do, I would take the itinerary before ours (we left on 2/12) that spent 4 days cruising Antartica. Two things to keep in mind: this is their summer so the later you go, the more it's like their Fall and will be colder. Also, I would recommend leaving from B.A., even though embarkation there is so awful. If you embark in Chile, there's an additional $140/pp entrance fee that you pay in the airport. And, I would recommend booking early and arriving 3 days early, particularly for the Iguasu Falls tour. We booked last September for this cruise and we were waitlisted for traditional dining when we boarded. Also, my sister and BIL, who arrived 3 days early, left it too late to take the Iguasu Falls tour and were very disappointed. We talked to people who went and they said it was awesome and well-worth the money. Particularly those who got to the Brazilian side (but you'd need a Brazilian visa to do that.)

I wonder why our thread got zapped too. We're on board and have posted a few times but not about food or whatever. We took a tour to the falls and the volcano and loved it. The falls were crowded but we had no problem making our way through the people and getting great pics. The volcano was misty and the views were not as good as the last time I was there but still an interesting ride. Puerto Varas, the City of Roses, is a lovely little place along Lake LLanguehue and well worth seeing.

The sailaway from Puerto Montt was spectacular. We have an aft suite and the clouds and colors were fantastic. On or way out we were first passed by and then overtook and passed a Chilean navy sub. The bay had many little fishing boats coming in and the contrast between them, the Rotterdam and us sailing out, and the sub was quite interesting. This Lake District of Chile is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen.

Tomorrow is our last full day on board and we'll be happy to be on our way home. But I love this itinerary and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try something different. The trip to Antarctica is so awesome! The flights to South America are long but once you get here the time is pretty much the same as at home and the sights and the people are so wonderful that it is well worth the effort. Having sailed on both the Royal Princess and the Golden on this route, I don't see much difference at all in the seaworthiness. I think some of the ports have a problem with depositing so many people at one time ashore. But, for example, today we had a long line for the tenders in Puerto Montt and when I went there on the Royal Princess we had the same long lines. Today they moved very quickly.

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth.

Buenas Noches from the coast of Chile.

Ann

Becky - I have the penguin photos from Punta Arenas in, have still to do Falkland Islands. Soon........

Here's one of my favorites: 2390384600014024534UwHuDM_th.jpg

Cathy

Thanks, Cathy! I looked at *all* your South America pictures and thoroughly enjoyed them . . with the exception of a few with really rough seas that didn't look too pleasant!:eek: It appears you had your share of good weather, too, and thankfully the day of the penguins was nice. Once again, thanks for sharing!

Becky

If you'd like, email me (my email address is in my profile @aol.com) and I'll send you a link to my photos, which are on AOL. I added comments to most of the photos.

Pam I guess I'm extra thick tonight I tried a couple of times to send you an email but looking at your profile I'm not getting it right:confused:

Dianne

Archived