Greece 2008

Hi- need everyone's assistance. DH & I planning E. Med for 2008.Most important ports are in Greece would love to visit Corfu, Mykonos, Crete, Rhodes Athens- I know that 3 out of 5 would be the most we could hpe for.

So here's the question- Cruiseline Suggestions

We are 50+ active, history buffs and complusive little thing that I am I am learning "travelers" Greek.

Many thanks for and & all suggestions

CaroleLee

We just booked this :http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000XPbCyB8kIJnwDNkUQo3S-BZ:1028etq20?packageCode=GL11M005&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results&sailDate=1080609

We were hoping for more Greek Isles also but Turkey sounds very intriguing.

Dave:eek:

We just booked this :http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/vacationItinerary.do;jsessionid=0000XPbCyB8kIJnwDNkUQo3S-BZ:1028etq20?packageCode=GL11M005&backPageName=Itinerary+Search+Results&sailDate=1080609

We were hoping for more Greek Isles also but Turkey sounds very intriguing.

Dave:eek:

Thanks Dave,

Have you ever cruised with Celebrity? I have heard +/- about the line. Svc & food very good, ships "dated". We have cruised with RCL, CCL HAL & Princess.

Anyone else out there with suggestions? Comments?

CaroleLee

Hi

We crusied the Med on the Carnival Liberty last year. Had such a wonderful trip that we booked the same itinerary on the new Carnival Freedom for June of this year.

We also booked the Carnival freedom for Sept 2008, leaving from Rome and visiting Greece and Turkey.

Good Luck, you have lots of choices!:)

We've been to the Mediterranean twice on Holland America and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves on both cruises. Initially I wasn't overly excited by the prospect of 2 ports in Turkey - I didn't think I'd like it very much. Oh my, was I ever wrong; when we booked our second Mediterranean cruise, I made sure Istanbul and Kusadasi were among the ports we would be stopping at. We're now looking at returning for a 3rd time in 2009 and bringing another 4 couples with us. And we want to stop in Istanbul and Kusadasi once more because there is so much to see. The cruise is very port intensive, and you are going from morning until night, but what wonderful memories you have when you return. We've sailed on the Prinsendam and the Rotterdam and would love to sail on either ship again in 2009.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Hi- need everyone's assistance. DH & I planning E. Med for 2008.Most important ports are in Greece would love to visit Corfu, Mykonos, Crete, Rhodes Athens- I know that 3 out of 5 would be the most we could hpe for.

So here's the question- Cruiseline Suggestions

We are 50+ active, history buffs and complusive little thing that I am I am learning "travelers" Greek.

Many thanks for and & all suggestions

CaroleLee

We cruise Princess last August and loved the itinerary....it is why we chose the cruise we did.....we left from Venice and hit Dubrovnik, Corfu, Olympia, Rome, Mykonos, Santorini, Rhodes, Athens, Ephesus.....

So from your list we hit all but Crete. Pretty good I think and we loved the cruise.

Good luck deciding.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked the RCCL Legend of the Seas for 6/15/08. Rome, Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes, Ephesus, Limmasol and Cairo.

We're taking our kids as well. Coliseum, Parthenon, Pyramids. Should be a trip of a lifetime for them....and us too.

This was a wonderful trip. It was my first Celebrity cruise (as you can see from the list below). The service was incomparable for me. It was just my mother and I and the room steward and head waiter were the best. I don't think we ever opened our cabin door without seeing Ivan. He left us extra chocolate every time he entered our cabin (a least 4 times a day), switched our ice and brought us water 2-3 times a day, and because of a casual comment I made when I saw him carrying canapes to one of the concierge class rooms, he brought us canapes and treats from then on. It was really first-class service.

I will admit the ship is older and not "glitzy" like Carnival, Princess and many of the others, but hey I was visiting the Med. not partying in the Caribbean. We were hardly ever on the ship. The food was wonderful and the staff is always cleaning and waiting on you. Oh, another benefit of Galaxy is the ship is smaller, so you enter the smaller ports with less crowds (of course the ports will be crowded if you go during high season - summer).

Are you firmly fixed on a cruise? If you're active, and are history and culture buffs, doing it by land might be better. Pick 2 or 3 islands, take the high-speed ferries or fly to them, rent a car on larger islands like Rhodes or Crete. Spend some time in and around Athens.

We spent a week in the Peloponnese prior to a Black Sea cruise several years ago--did 3 days on one island, then 4 days on the mainland, centred in Napflion, drove around, had a great time. Got to use much more Greek than you would on a cruise.

Hmmm. Wasn't done with that post but the computer seemed to think I was ;)

Even though it snowed (yes I said snowed) during our visit of Istanbul, Turkey infected me. It is definitely one country I will visit again for an extended stay. The people were so friendly and there is an otherworldly-ness to Istanbul when the cry from the minarets fill the city. And the country is really filled with religious history, no matter your religion.

Mykonos and the windmills, Santorini and the cities hanging on the cliffs, Rhodes and the ancient walls, Athens and its Acropolis . . . . I loved this trip.

I would do it again (on Celebrity) in a second!

Hmmm. Wasn't done with that post but the computer seemed to think I was ;)

Even though it snowed (yes I said snowed) during our visit of Istanbul, Turkey infected me. It is definitely one country I will visit again for an extended stay. The people were so friendly and there is an otherworldly-ness to Istanbul when the cry from the minarets fill the city. And the country is really filled with religious history, no matter your religion.

Mykonos and the windmills, Santorini and the cities hanging on the cliffs, Rhodes and the ancient walls, Athens and its Acropolis . . . . I loved this trip.

I would do it again (on Celebrity) in a second!

Thanks for the insights. DH loves cruising and time is limited so cruise seems to be the best overall way ( time & $ wise). Would appreciate hearing from everyone on Princess v Celebrity. Service/cabins/ food/ intinerary. We did Crown Princess last yr (on the tilt over trip) and service/ cabin were very good. Food was good but nothing overly outstanding -diningroom service staff was very nice.

Thanks for all the help

Carole

Archived