How far in advance do you book your own air?

S&B

We are going on a SA cruise - into Buenos Aires and out of Santiago - in February 2008. Today I was checking the fares and found lower fares than a month ago. It makes me very nervous to purchase our air this far in advance. However, our own air would be about 250.00 less than the cruise line air.

I have not purchased our insurance yet. Do I need to do this before booking the air? Does anyone book their air this far out?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I usually book shortly after the airlines open up for my return flight (about 330 days in advance). Sometimes the fares are higher later on and sometimes they are lower. I figure it balances out and I am done with it.

Paul

I don't buy air a year in advance. Usually 3 or 4 months out when some competition exists. Basically, I buy when I see a price that's reasonable.

I never try to chase the absolute lowest price.

If anything, start to look at fares now so you know what a "good" fare is when you see it.

As for when is the best time to buy, what I say is that it's a good time when you are comfortable with the price you paid. Chasing the "lowest" fare is like trying to time the stock market - easy to do in retrospect but awfully hard to do in the moment. By getting a sense of what fares are you can at least be sure to get it in the lower part of the price range.

Since most low cost air fare is non refundable, I wait as long as I can. I balance that with the possiblity of not getting the times I want and maybe the price.

I find the non refundable air fare and cruise lines cancellations policies get you really commited at about 3 months out. If you have insurance, you will be covered if you meet all the specifics of that policy. Otherwise I think it pays to wait as late as reasonable in case your plans change. I've had to change because of work and because a similar cruise discounted to half the price of the one I was booked on; neither of which is covered under most insurance.

About the insurance, you will need to do research on it. I believe that there a many good discussions on insurance. Search the boards (last discussion I saw was on the HAL board) and you will find lots of info. My two cents... if you need preexisting conditions covered look at CSA and HTH, they allow coverage up to final payment. Lots of detail on insuremytrip dot com. and yes you can insure your air before or after it is booked.

The best advice is to pick a plan of action and just do it without too much worry. Getting the lowest price may not be the best thing.

enjoy your trip.

Archived